The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sweltering Heat, bugged?

Fentz

shouldn't this make your Ion pulse (if specced into the 100% plasma cell from ion pulse) ALWAYS slow for 2 seconds? cuz it only does 1-3 times for me, is this a bug or is there some hidden resolve bar for slows?

this happends on mobs aswell as players

just tested and I think there's something wrong with it instead of there being some hidden resolve bar

I ran circles with an elite and spammed Ion pulse, the slow didn't get applied after the second time, kept doing for longer than a normal resolve would have taken to be removed

however, you use pulse till it doesnt reapply the slow any more, then let the plasma cell debuff run out it applies it again

so it's bugged and not some kind of hidden resolve bar

just tested and I think there's something wrong with it instead of there being some hidden resolve bar

I ran circles with an elite and spammed Ion pulse, the slow didn't get applied after the second time, kept doing for longer than a normal resolve would have taken to be removed

however, you use pulse till it doesnt reapply the slow any more, then let the plasma cell debuff run out it applies it again

so it's bugged and not some kind of hidden resolve bar

Hmm. That does sound funky. Does it have a similar problem if you fire something else besides Pulse in between applications, say Pulse/Hammer Shot/Pulse?

Hmm. That does sound funky. Does it have a similar problem if you fire something else besides Pulse in between applications, say Pulse/Hammer Shot/Pulse?

yes, as long as plasma cell doesn't run out the slow won't ever get re-applied.

am I the only one getting this?

try just spamming an elite with Ion pulse while using the Ionized Ignition and Sweltering Heat talents and see if it re-applies the slow every time you use Ion pulse while Plasma Cell is still active on the elite

I bugged this last night.

Plasma cell doesn't look to be working properly, dont know if its the patch but the first tick of the dot isn't hitting only the second and the third and swealtering heat is triggered off the damage of the dot.

So if Plasma Cell is re-applied before 3 seconds you get no damage and no snare. It didnt seem to matter what I used to trigger it the first tick never hit so its currently down 33% if it runs the whole course.

If you can test and bug report if you get the same issue would be good.

update:

If you do Ion Pulse/Hammer shot(proccing Plasma Cell while it's still up) 2 times in a row, those 2 abilities WILL NOT re-apply the slow, however, if you proc Plasma Cell with High impact bolt it will apply the slow *AND* make Ion Pulse/Hammer able to put on the slow 2 times again

IP/HS x2 = works

IP/HS x3 = bug

IP/HS x2 -> HIB x1 -> IP/HS x2 = works

IP/HS x3 (bugs) -> HIB x1 (works again) -> IP/HS x2

so, is this bugged or is it just not mentioned?

Edited by Fentz

• 1 month later...
If it's players, it's probably due to Resolve buildup.

PvE, not so sure. I don't seem to have that problem, but it makes me wonder if too much CC will do much the same thing to a mob...

Snares don't create resolve. Someone can have 100% resolve and can still be snared.

It could be by design.

Take a look at the tooltips: (emphasis added by me)

Ionized Ignition (3/3)

Ion Pulse has a 100% chance to *trigger* your Plasma Cell if active.

Sweltering Heat (2/2)

Plasma Cell has a 100% chance *when it applies its effects* to reduce the movement speed of the target by 50% for 2 seconds.

High Friction Bolts (2/2)

High Impact Bolt ignores 30% of the target's armor. In addition, if High Impact Bolt hits a burning target, it has a 100% chance to generate 1 energy cell and *refresh the duration of your Plasma Cell's burn effect* if present.

So, if you look at the above, Ion Pulse will *trigger* Plasma Cell 100% of the time. High Impact Bolt will *refresh* the burn effect. Finally, Sweltering Heat's slow is applied *when it (Plasma Cell) applies its effects*.

So, it is quite possible that if Plasma Cell is *already* present when hitting a mob with Ion Pulse, the *slow* effect is not really being "applied again" because the Plasma Cell is not being "reapplied" or "refreshed". However, when you hit a mob with High Impact Bolt it will *refresh* the burn effect, effectively *reapplying Plasm Cell's effects* and so this *will* trigger the slow.

*NOTE*: I said this could be by design based on the wording of the abilities. It is quite possible that this is not intended and that Ion Pulse should in effect be "refreshing" the Plasma Cell effect.

Could you redo you tests and verify if during the IP/HS cycles you see Plasma Cell being refreshed? Or do you see it drop off and then be *retriggered* on the next Ion Pulse?