The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyrotech

Kritterr

I was going on pvp with Pyrotech, and I love the moving arround part but the heat builds so fast up. How does any pyrotech here plays with him. I would like to see a skill like in arsenal crit is 8 heat reduced.

Any thoughts or game play to reduce this in pvp.

well for one, my build looks like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMckZfGMbdhhrs.1

second, my rotation is this

Thermal Detonator (explosive dart until you get it)-> incendiary missile-> rail shot-> unload->if PPA procs, Rail shot-> Power shot->Rail shot if PPA procs-> Power shot if u had no procs of PPA.

once you get thermal sensor override, use that at the end, followed by fusion missile.

this never overheats for me, and deals a ****ton of damage if crits happen with thermal detonator or rail shot.

but if heat gets high, just throw in some rapid shots.

well for one, my build looks like this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMckZfGMbdhhrs.1

second, my rotation is this

Thermal Detonator (explosive dart until you get it)-> incendiary missile-> rail shot-> unload->if PPA procs, Rail shot-> Power shot->Rail shot if PPA procs-> Power shot if u had no procs of PPA.

once you get thermal sensor override, use that at the end, followed by fusion missile.

this never overheats for me, and deals a ****ton of damage if crits happen with thermal detonator or rail shot.

but if heat gets high, just throw in some rapid shots.

Ignore this he is a merc rotation is different for powetech.......

First you should be using CGC all the time. (short of ball carrying where I will swap it out for ion and guard)

Depending on target I usually open TD --> Inc Missile --> Railshot. Then its rocket punch (when free) & flame burst spam until railshot is refreshed. Railshot is used everytime it comes up (vent heat on dot'd target)

I try not to let my heat get above 50 unless I have vent ready to go. Pyro is a very "chancy" build as far as heat goes. If you get lucky on some RS refreshes you can be dishing out mad dps without using any heat.

I still struggle with not going above 50 heat unless its really needed (burning down a healer/ball carrier etc). Going over 50 starts to hamper your total dps potential waiting on the heat to dissipate.

Hope this helps. I'm still learning the class so someone please let me know if I provided any incorrect information.

Edited by Sectick

Thx for that.

Well first off I posted that post in the merc section since I am a merc. So I dont know why its been moved to powertech but hey all friends here :)

Like i said the only trouble i find is the heat go's so fast up and the vent heat is only every 2 min or 1.30 min when specced in it. So i find it sometimes very hard to stay low 3 4 skills and u are allready in the heat lvl 2 when lvl 1 is what u want it to be.

Here's my opener, TD-(TSO+Icendiary missle)-Railshot. Once you get close range it's all about a priority system:

Railshot on cd, rocket punch on cd, TD on cd. Spam flameburst unless your inching close to 40 heat. If you alternate one or two flamebursts with rapid shots that usually a sustainable rotation if you are on a unlucky Railshot proc streak.

Save vent heat and electro dart when you have some one around 30% and burst them down.

I always skip Incendiary missile unless i use it with TSO

Also if you used your relics,expertise buffs,etc.. i would skip thermal detonator if my target isnt full life...Sometimes people blow fast and detonator havent even run out of time :p

And Heat...its all about luck.

Edited by Kroktar

You should live be the following rules :

- Flameburst spam only if you feel like gambling for railshot procs or if you are very low and need to get out quick damage to your opponent to kill him before he kills you. Otherwise just put in at least one rapidshot between each flameburst. This ensures that you can vent heat well enough to stay at a level where you wont overheat soon.

- Do not use incendiary missle if youre on heat levels that are quite high already. The 25 heat costs are alot and the dot itself does not put alot of pressure on the opponent if you need to fire too many rapidshots and dont really get alot of railshot procs due to not being able to use flameburst regularly.

- Make sure to not forget about rocketpunch. It does good damage and the proc chance for railshot is alot higher than flameburst. Use it whenever you can.

There are situations where you might want to spam alot of flamebursts but over the course of the fight it will bite you in the *** once you have gambled too much and left with very little options other than rapidshots and waiting on cooldowns. Always remember that our burst is only possible if you maintain your calm and not spam too much. Sometimes you might get lucky and really get a railshot proc on almost every flameburst, but then again, at times you fire 5 flamebursts and no proc, which leaves you in a very bad situations since flameburst itself isnt really that much damage.

Also, in fights vs "casters" make sure to stay mobile and indeed use ALOT of rapidshots while you turn corners and mess with them having to cast before getting shots off. Snipers, Sages, Mercs come to mind. Rapidshots are really your friend in those situations and even if they dont deal massive damage, they WILL make a difference in the fight. The dots will snare and deal around 300 dmg per hit depending on gear. I have seen so many powertechs that are simply not using all their abilities properly. They chase ppl trying to get flamebursts off and before they reach the target they havent fired rapidshots once as if they were trying to hammer the flameburst key in advance... WE ARE NO MELEE CLASS nor a class that only shoots while inbetween 0 and 10m :) The same also goes for operatives. There are so many people who seem to think operatives are just melee. Chasing down people with 10-20% life trying to hit them on the head, instead of dropping to cover and finish them with 1-2 snipes.

Ah well, anyways. Hope I could help a little with this. I usually end up doing very well in pvp using these self implied rules of mine which are basically comon sense. Even without using adrenals/relics and other buff stacking I usually end most rounds with damage between 350-450k and not a whole lot of deaths to give you an idea about what damage you can easily expect from a somehow well played pyro pt. Of course you wont always end up with that as things change alot and ppl adapt, also it often depends on meeting premade groups or not. If you die alot, then you will naturally end up with quite gimped dmg output :)

Edited by Sheduur

Here is your spec.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMcZfhrbzGhMc.1

Thermal detonator is worthless it doesn't proc rail shot, and it doesn't do enough damage per heat to justify using in a standard priority rotation. Any one that tells you otherwise is wrong.

Incendiary Missile (keep the dot rolling as heat allows) > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Flame burst > Unload > Rapid shots if +50 heat

Its pretty simple when rail shot procs use it.

Edited by Eroex

Here is your spec.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMcZfhrbzGhMc.1

Thermal detonator is worthless it doesn't proc rail shot, and it doesn't do enough damage per heat to justify using in a standard priority rotation. Any one that tells you otherwise is wrong.

Incendiary Missile (keep the dot rolling as heat allows) > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Flame burst > Unload > Rapid shots if +50 heat

Its pretty simple when rail shot procs use it.

Yeah going to have to disagree on TD being worthless in PVP. Getting a several K hit from range for 16 heat is well worth investment when trying to burn someone down fast, especially since you can throw off the detonator while still heading towards your opponent and have it go off the same time as your first rail shot for some scary initial burst.

Now I'll agree once your in an actual fight you really wouldn't bother using it part of your rotation, but I've finished off runners, killed people just as they stealth, and force people to switch to me as a target when chasing others thanks to the burst of TD. It's reliable high damage when you need it

I can understand why you would decide to skip it for the extra Aim, but calling it worthless is a stretch. It's the hardest hitting single attack Pyro has, even if it's not used as part of the standard rotation.

Edited by Dharagada

Yeah going to have to disagree on TD being worthless in PVP. Getting a several K hit from range for 16 heat is well worth investment when trying to burn someone down fast, especially since you can throw off the detonator while still heading towards your opponent and have it go off the same time as your first rail shot for some scary initial burst.

Now I'll agree once your in an actual fight you really wouldn't bother using it part of your rotation, but I've finished off runners, killed people just as they stealth, and force people to switch to me as a target when chasing others thanks to the burst of TD. It's reliable high damage when you need it

I can understand why you would decide to skip it for the extra Aim, but calling it worthless is a stretch. It's the hardest hitting single attack Pyro has, even if it's not used as part of the standard rotation.

I dont find it useful in PVP because of my playstyle, I'm doing damage to target after target so a lot of the time its as if I'm doing sustained damage like in PVE

90% of games have the 300k medal ive broken 400k many times.

My goal is to get 10-12 medals a game, 14 is the highest I've seen a powertech get.

I dont find it useful in PVP because of my playstyle, I'm doing damage to target after target so a lot of the time its as if I'm doing sustained damage like in PVE

90% of games have the 300k medal ive broken 400k many times.

My goal is to get 10-12 medals a game, 14 is the highest I've seen a powertech get.

Well I'm suppose to be running a bunch of warzones tonight so maybe I'll give it a go and see how I do, always willing to try something different.

You are gimping your Pyro build by not having TD. TD timed with RS allows for significant burst damage. You'r build is gimped...