How to make crafting useful - use it to customise how end-game gear looks

Slightlycampana

Problem

Players are encouraged to customise and craft gear for their characters throughout the levelling process...YET, a core game mechanic is tiered gear progression via pve raiding/pvp warzones and dailies.

This is a huge design flaw in the game - two mutually incompatible game systems, one of which is unsatisfying for many players because it is pointless.

Solution

Crafting should unlock cosmetic upgrades to armour.

By levelling crafting skills, players will be able to create customised armour/weapon appearances, which can be sold on the market. Other players could buy these customised pieces and combine them at a modding station with any tiered gear pieces they already own, to create a new armour set/weapon. The new armour set/weapon would have the visual appearance of the crafted set, and the stats of the tiered set.

Why would this work?

It would expand the end-game, give players more to do, and allow them to customise their appearance, while at the same time not compromising the gear treadmill.

Why would this not work?

You tell me.

----------------

If you like this idea (or even if you don't like it), please rate this thread when replying.

(P.S. I only started playing in January and haven't actually reached the end-game yet myself. So maybe there are things I haven't taken into account. Please post your thoughts, constructive feedback appreciated!)

Edited by Slightlycampana

There are already plenty of armors who's stats depend on the mods you put in them, allowing you to use a piece of lvl 2 armor that you think looks cool and put in mods to make it as strong as lvl 50 armor.

BioWare has already said that they will be putting a LOT more of those types of items into the game.

Problem

Players are encouraged to customise and craft gear for their characters throughout the levelling process...YET, a core game mechanic is tiered gear progression via pve raiding/pvp warzones and dailies.

This is a huge design flaw in the game - two mutually incompatible game systems, one of which is unsatisfying for many players because it is pointless.

Solution

Crafting should unlock cosmetic upgrades to armour.

By levelling crafting skills, players will be able to create customised armour/weapon appearances, which can be sold on the market. Other players could buy these customised pieces and combine them at a modding station with any tiered gear pieces they already own, to create a new armour set/weapon. The new armour set/weapon would have the visual appearance of the crafted set, and the stats of the tiered set.

Why would this work?

It would expand the end-game, give players more to do, and allow them to customise their appearance, while at the same time not compromising the gear treadmill.

Why would this not work?

You tell me.

----------------

If you like this idea (or even if you don't like it), please rate this thread when replying.

(P.S. I only started playing in January and haven't actually reached the end-game yet myself. So maybe there are things I haven't taken into account. Please post your thoughts, constructive feedback appreciated!)

LOVE this idea! Really think it would make end-game crafting much more enjoyable.