Best leveling spec question

Paynegiver

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on what I the best leveling specs as of right now? I got up to level 19 in beta and kind of dabbled in everything. I was hoping that someone on here had a link to why they thought would be the most effective leveling spec. I have not fully decided on what roles to play heals/dps... All information is appreciated.

with the way companions work in this game i am really not sure which would be best. I would venture to GUESS that while mako is your only companion (and a healer) that arsenal would

be a nice fast lvling build.

However, its very possible that healing spec is better because it allows you to kite or take on

elite mobs etc.

once you get a nice dps companion the balance may be shifted to healing further. way to early to tell i think

good luck!

BW has done a really good job of making sure you can level with any spec. In other MMOs tanks and healers are really lacking in the dmg department and it makes leveling painful. Not so in SWTOR. Healers and Tanks do pretty competent damage, and companions really help pick up the slack.

from things I have read people go dps and have mako heal them; doing this they say they can take down elites easily. All hearsay though.

That was basically how I played my BH in the beta. Since Mako can do a sizeable amount of healing, it frees the BH to focus on DPS more. On a side note, I wound up running a 4-man heroic quest with two SIs from my guild, and Mako healed all of us without incident...

I agree Mako is a great healer MOST of the time... However I am not sure why this happens, but it appears that her AI is broken since sometimes she will be healing GREAT and then for others she will let my health go down way to low, to the point where I need to step in and heal myself... Has anyone else noticed this? I have tried this on many of the same types of mobs 1 strong and 1 week, groups of 3, etc...

I've been running Arsenal in EGA and have had no problem with any quest. Once you get Tracer Missile things just start dying, really quickly.

Yeah I noticed once I got tracer missiles things got much quicker because of how the arsenal tree is designed to build off the tracers, I see it only getting better once you get some of the additional skills like the 100% vent heat on critical hits etc.

If you want to be a healer end game, I would NOT suggest leveling as healing. This is for Merc BH only.

You get stuck with Mako forever. If you heal, then you have no Tank or DPS and this is a drag. Lvl as DPS and switch to healing after you get another companion that can do some DPS and tanking duties.

I'm stuck in a rough spot. My guild needs me for heals for FPs, but I'm ahead of them in leveling by a bit, so I'm soloing my way as a healer with a healing companion. It's not efficient at all.

If you are leveling with other players at the same time, a healer is fine. You can DPS like crazy on easier pulls and heal on harder pulls...it's actually pretty fun in a group setting and in FPs.

Trooper companion progression is much more user friendly.

If you want to be a healer end game, I would NOT suggest leveling as healing. This is for Merc BH only.

You get stuck with Mako forever. If you heal, then you have no Tank or DPS and this is a drag. Lvl as DPS and switch to healing after you get another companion that can do some DPS and tanking duties.

I'm stuck in a rough spot. My guild needs me for heals for FPs, but I'm ahead of them in leveling by a bit, so I'm soloing my way as a healer with a healing companion. It's not efficient at all.

If you are leveling with other players at the same time, a healer is fine. You can DPS like crazy on easier pulls and heal on harder pulls...it's actually pretty fun in a group setting and in FPs.

Trooper companion progression is much more user friendly.

Mako actually has a DPS Stance, it's not as effective as a typical DPS Companion, but it boost her DPS but a significant amount.

Can't tell ya how many times I have done 4 mans with 3 of us and mako healing. Or heck we weven did one with a sith inquisitor healer. His khem val tanked and mako and he healed it and we did dps. It is a nasty combination to do if you absolutely can't fill a group. Just pick up a good healing Sith Sorceror to go with your Merc BH.

I love leveling as a pyrotech but on the subject of leveling as a healer. Its a great way to go. Mako has a dps stance which ups her damage significantly and as a healing BH you dont heal mobs to death. You dps like any other spec. There is very little difference between the two till about 30 when talents start to make a big difference.

• 1 month later...

I've been leveling up with the Arsenal tree and using Mako exclusively as a companion, I followed the build order in the mercenary leveling guide from that site and I found it faster to lvl using those rotations.

You have heavy armor and high dps, so a companion healer with a little dps seems to be the best fit.

As for gear, I found taking 3 gathering professions (including slicing) gave me more than enough credits and I'd spend those credits on gear, and take commendations as quest rewards (unless the reward was a huge upgrade). Could keep myself and Mako geared up very well.

Can't tell ya how many times I have done 4 mans with 3 of us and mako healing. Or heck we weven did one with a sith inquisitor healer. His khem val tanked and mako and he healed it and we did dps. It is a nasty combination to do if you absolutely can't fill a group. Just pick up a good healing Sith Sorceror to go with your Merc BH.

you know what is really sick? dps merc + Shield PT + 2 Mako's

roflol faceplant easy