31 Point Talents: Worthwhile?

Kizah

Hey all,

I'm getting closer and closer to 40 and I'm finding myself wondering if the 31 point talents are worthwhile? I haven't seen many well-rounded opinions on them, nor a video/rotation with them included so I wanted to ask someone who has used them.

I also keep seeing the 10+ different Hybrid builds and my question is simple: As DPS mean't for PvE, should I stick with a 31 Tactics build or 31 point Assault, or some crazy Hybrid build?

I've played both Tactics and Assault and found them both enjoyable thus far.

:)

I'm a shield spec, and the 31 point skill is garbage. I want my point back.

In the thick of action, the activation time feels like eternity, the damage is pitiful and we get one cell back. ANd its on something like a 15 sec timer (IIRC)? I've dealt with low ammo by just spamming hammer shot until I regen and that has been fine.

Its garbage.

I think all the 31pt talents are worth it, once you go that far into the tree.

I play mostly shield spec and I find energy blast is worth the extra point. In pvp sometimes you just HAVE to blow all your ammunition to kill or save someone. Energy blast is an awesome ability to help get out of that hole, as you know when you've 1-2 cells of ammo, the regen is god awful slow. It also helps alot with keeping your ammo in range in both pvp and pve.

The only downside to energy blast is the animation really. It takes at least a second to fire after you hit the button, so while it says it regens 1 energy cell, you'll regen more like 2 because of the wait time.

Yeah I've been hearing alot of mixed opinions on Energy Blast mostly, I haven't heard much about Fire Pulse, though. But I felt it was pretty nice to have since I think Tactics does some pretty nice damage when you're equipped with Pulse Generator and such.

Some people to avoid Assault Plastique period, which I have no idea why considering I always use Sticky Grenade when it's off CD (as Tactics) and the damage is nice, I already some some 1100 crits at 37.

I've leveled as Shield spec and have tried energy blast in pve and pvp. I find it okay for PVE but not okay for PVP. Main problem I have with this skill is that it is delayed on use. I guess there was supposed to be an animation as in energy build up before smacking a target. But right now just doesn't go off when you press the key and mashing that key more then once can screw up your rotation.

I've tried tactics tree once and promptly specced out of it. I am running Assault spec right now for about week or so and I love it. Mostly for PVP not for PVE grinding of heroics, although I can complete Heroic 2+ Daily on Belsavis solo in either spec.

So long-winded answer made short. Energy blast is okay, but you should have other tools to manage your ammo so it may not be necessary. The way I look at energy blast is "hey it's free damage dealing ammo returning shot" and there is nothing else that is quite like it that you can take. Just don't expect high damage.

At level 44, I'm pretty unimpressed with Energy Blast. It does OK damage and the extra Ammo from it (and from not using an ammo-consuming skill) is sometimes helpful, but honestly as a capstone skill it's rather uninspiring.

Shouldn't the capstone of Shield Spec be something defensive in nature like an extra energy shield or something?

At level 44, I'm pretty unimpressed with Energy Blast. It does OK damage and the extra Ammo from it (and from not using an ammo-consuming skill) is sometimes helpful, but honestly as a capstone skill it's rather uninspiring.

Shouldn't the capstone of Shield Spec be something defensive in nature like an extra energy shield or something?

Yeah you would assume so. If you look at the Guardian's tank tree and the Juggernaut obviously.. makes us feel inferior.