How can I increase my fps?

Familjecola

Hello I have put down my settings in this game and turned off shadows. Still my fps can drop at times and it seems to not be that great all the time.

I run with a intel i5 750 @ 2,67 ghz cpu, 4 gb ram memory and a XFX Radeon 5850 1 gb graphics card.

If I buy more memory, will that increase my fps or do I need to get a better graphics card aswell?

Thanks in advance for answers.

your memory is fine. If you want more fps via an upgrade you should get a newer graphics card. If your motherboard can handle Nvidia, i recommend the GTX 580. Its quiet and even having just 1 runs TOR very well even with shadows. Im not sure what the next level up for ATI is. But check the reviews about performance and also fan noise. Some of these cards can sound like a jet engine under load.

If you have the money get a nice liquid cooled card. Get one of the ready to go pre filled systems. You don't have to refill them because they are sealed. The do it yourself liquid cool is a pain to maintain.

After what you have already done with the graphic settings, a graphic card upgrade is the next step.

The game runs flawlessly with all high settings on my 2-yr old XPS, 3 gig of mem and a 8800GT gfx card. I see all these peeps having problems with I5 and I7's and DX11 graphics cards, and I'm doubting faster/better hardware will fix the issue. Untill your issue is researched further I'd refrain from dropping a wad of cash on newer, better hardware. Unless you're loaded of course in which case go for it.

Thanks for the answer! But good lord those gtx 580 cards were not cheap. But more ram memory won't give me any or just small increases?

Edit: I haven't looked around too much in these tech threads but is there a problem with i5/i7 processors? Ive heard of problem with shadows for some graphics card only.

Edited by Familjecola

Tom's Hardware ran a test benchmarking most of the major graphics cards with SWTOR, including things like forced AA. It's well worth a look if you're planning on upgrading

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087.html

Toms is usually pretty solid with there tech articles, they were wrong about lack of Crossfire support though.

Back to the point, the game is more GPU focused than anything. If I was going to suggest one single item to help it would be a video card.

Thanks for the answer! But good lord those gtx 580 cards were not cheap. But more ram memory won't give me any or just small increases?

Edit: I haven't looked around too much in these tech threads but is there a problem with i5/i7 processors? Ive heard of problem with shadows for some graphics card only.

Yeah, you really shouldn't have to buy a C2050 to play this game. I'm guessing they just made the game the least efficient way possible and there's nothing that we can really do about it.

Getting a 6870 or better would be good.

What I am missing is your OS. Which windows are you running? I would suggest getting up to 8Gig RAM but you need a 64 bit system. If you have a 32 bit version of windows, you can unly run a max of 4Gig RAM. The rest would just be sitting there doing nothing :)