lvl 35 defense guardian with a sweet-smelling opinion

Aelaias

George Carlin, anyone? No? Oh well.

In any case, have a 35 defense guardian locked into the spec due to not keeping up with t7's equipment. Having had some experience with this class and my 32 shadow I am going to go with the Guardians suck crowd. My shadow has better burst and higher damage as long as they have power and fankly feels more durable than my defense guardian. Perhaps it's just perception due to highr dps=enemies go down faster (armor mitigation on my guard ~40% vs ~30 on shadow), I don't know.

I wondered about what my shadow has over my guardian. Baseline stun, finishing move, skills that do higher dps, ability to burst. Guardian also has some burst but the only one I am aware of involves skills on 1min timers. Most of guardian cc is locked into the defensive tree which means that the guardians with cc have crap damage. And dps guardian damage feels subpar while being insanely soft. And all that's on top of skills not firing on activation, etc. The same comparison could be made between the guardian and other classes, and I am sure has been.

Yes, there are minmaxers who managed to bend the class to their will. The amount of know how this requires is far beyond that of ANY other class. Doesn't mean I want it to be simplified to a point where facerolling is all that it takes but changes, perhaps substantial, are in order.

Edited by Aelaias

George Carlin, anyone? No? Oh well.

In any case, have a 35 defense guardian locked into the spec due to not keeping up with t7's equipment. Having had some experience with this class and my 32 shadow I am going to go with the Guardians suck crowd. My shadow has better burst and higher damage as long as they have power and fankly feels more durable than my defense guardian. Perhaps it's just perception due to highr dps=enemies go down faster (armor mitigation on my guard ~40% vs ~30 on shadow), I don't know.

I wondered about what my shadow has over my guardian. Baseline stun, finishing move, skills that do higher dps, ability to burst. Guardian also has some burst but the only one I am aware of involves skills on 1min timers. Most of guardian cc is locked into the defensive tree which means that the guardians with cc have crap damage. And dps guardian damage feels subpar while being insanely soft. And all that's on top of skills not firing on activation, etc. The same comparison could be made between the guardian and other classes, and I am sure has been.

Yes, there are minmaxers who managed to bend the class to their will. The amount of know how this requires is far beyond that of ANY other class. Doesn't mean I want it to be simplified to a point where facerolling is all that it takes but changes, perhaps substantial, are in order.

Care to link the spec you are using? At 32 here is the spec I was using to grind with Kira:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500cMGMubro.1

So that was a work in progress, next points went into the Force stasis channel talent, then up and up.

Honestly I never had any questing issues until I hit the end of Hoth(by that I mean your first trip to hoth) around level 41 where I was fighting mobs where 3-4 would be casting and they were spread out. I would have to send kira in, leap one, force stasis another, stun another, knockback another, interrupt this, saber throw that, blade storm, blah blah.

Now the skill-cap on guardians is high I will let you have that. We have a ton of abilities and they all have their uses. However I have a few ideas you might want to keep in mind:

Send kira in first to fights, but get used to pulling mobs off her when she hits about 75% ish.

Use CDs during normal questing.

Always Stay Stimmed.

Medpaks.

Pull kira's bar out once in a while and use her cooldowns when they're up and make sure you're using the abilities that will help the most. Usually her aoe abilities are default off and you need to manually put her into a stance to start with(I use the armor penetration stance as opposed to the +dot stance).

Overall I'm now nearly level 44 and am now this spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#500fMGcubrouRZo.1

And it works great for leveling with a beefed up Kira. Make sure you have a lightsaber for Kira that you can upgrade with new Hilts/Mods. They help a metric ton. Also fill out their implants/earring/headpiece as soon as you can. It makes a world of difference.