selling account fake email info

NineInchNinja

for those who have come to SWTOR from WoW, you're probably familiar with this email. However, people who are new to mmo's may receive it and actually believe it.

This is a hoax, and it's trying to get you to give them your security questions and account info. Do NOT click the link. Delete the email.

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Star Wars account(s).

As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.

If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled.

It will be ongoing for further investigation by LucasArts's employees.

If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:

https://account.swtor.com/user/login?destination=home

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

* Secret Question and Answer

Show * Please enter the correct information

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. 2011 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights

How have they got my info already?

I have had the game for 7 days and only logged in online once. I have malware and AVG checks regularily and have no keyloggers or anything yet I have had over 10 of these emails.

Why can't the support here shut them down?

the email is from swtor@swtor.com - so they are proxying or something to get the mail aswell.

SORT THIS OUT ASAP OR YOU ARE JUST A FAIL LIKE WOW!

I have had the game for 7 days and only logged in online once. I have malware and AVG checks regularily and have no keyloggers or anything yet I have had over 10 of these emails.

the email is from swtor@swtor.com - so they are proxying or something to get the mail aswell.

If you think it's that easy you are a fail.

They aren't proxying; anyone with enough knowledge can make an email "appear" to be from anyone. However, there are methods that are employed by mail servers that designate who is allowed to send mail from that address. Any email not on the list should be flagged as spam, but that depends on where the mail is delivered to. As for how they got your information, those emails are sent out randomly to any email address the spammer knows of (my gmail account gets Runescape spam and I've never even visited the site for it).

There is nothing to "sort out"; BioWare cannot stop people from faking emails. They can and have done what they can to designate who is allowed to send email as being from them, though. That is the best anyone can do.

If you haven't clicked the link in the email and entered your login info you are fine. If you are worried about it add an authenticator to your account.

They aren't proxying; anyone with enough knowledge can make an email "appear" to be from anyone. However, there are methods that are employed by mail servers that designate who is allowed to send mail from that address. Any email not on the list should be flagged as spam, but that depends on where the mail is delivered to. As for how they got your information, those emails are sent out randomly to any email address the spammer knows of (my gmail account gets Runescape spam and I've never even visited the site for it).

There is nothing to "sort out"; BioWare cannot stop people from faking emails. They can and have done what they can to designate who is allowed to send email as being from them, though. That is the best anyone can do.

Of course, "enough knowledge" probably amounts to "can use google", I'm sure there's software out there that handles the technical stuff for them, there's stuff for everything these days.

If you haven't clicked the link in the email and entered your login info you are fine. If you are worried about it add an authenticator to your account.

Not necessarily. Visiting the page could try a number of drive-by attacks to install keyloggers and such. Hell, opening the e-mail alone might try to do stuff. It depends on the security of your e-mail application, your browser, etc. whether you're vulnerable. I mean, think about it - they're already trying the shotgun approach, they may as well pack every attack vector they can think of into it (unless it makes it horribly obvious or something).

Edited by Randomness

I am getting bombarded by thise mails every day. And i get them for all kinds of games. Even games i never played...

Tho in wow i fixed this. I made a new email account on google, and did the hax recovery rutine on battle.net. Then added my new email. This email is not used for anything but wow. And this email have stayed spam free. :D

Have not tested rhis on swtor tho but it could work i guess.

On swtor i still use my "old" email and are spammed by this from wow, swtor, aoc, eve, gw, lotro, runescape, rift, warhammer and the list goes on... And most of thise games, i never played or left behind any info of my self that i know of. As in registrations and sutch.

Not necessarily. Visiting the page could try a number of drive-by attacks to install keyloggers and such. Hell, opening the e-mail alone might try to do stuff. It depends on the security of your e-mail application, your browser, etc. whether you're vulnerable. I mean, think about it - they're already trying the shotgun approach, they may as well pack every attack vector they can think of into it (unless it makes it horribly obvious or something).

True, but if the OP is regularly using anti-malware and and an anti-virus it should mitigate that risk.

I know a person who doesn't even have the game and has received this email.

They don't know that you are actually playing SWTOR, by the way, but sending it a large number of email addresses (probably collected from various gaming sites and forums you may have visited and registered with). So don't feel that they have inside knowledge about you. Like the poster above said, people who don't have accounts receive them too.

The best way to avoid phishing scams is to create a separate email address for SWTOR and not use it for anything else. I did that with my WoW account and never received a phishing email ever again.

BW will never ask you for login info or password. They have their own databases and don't need your login info to see your data. Don't click on any links; make all your changes to your account directly from the main site.

If you're in doubt about the validity of an email you received, call customer service or post on their forum. They can tell you if the email is legit.

• 3 weeks later...