The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro heat management.

Capthxc

Any pointers? I tried to run a few hard modes at 50 with some friends but I was severely gimped in my heat management(I leveled tank spec, so im not too familier with the rotation)

I see a lot of people say AP is crap, but when I switched to AP my heat wasnt an issue and my DPS seemed like it was a little better.

simple, if its near or above 40, dont use an ability, try to keep it at 40 or below at all times.

If Vent Heat is on cooldown.

If Vent Heat is ready to go, play like a responsible Boy Scout and manage your heat and DPS for about 10-20 seconds to give the tank a lead. Be as Dr. Jekyll as possible at the beginning of the fight.

Then redline your threat. Go beast mode Mr. Hyde. Push as absolutely hard as you can, preferably while Explosive Fuel is active. Due to how aggressive play like this makes excellent use of our "filler" to provide Heat Venting Rail Shots, Pyro makes the best use of Vent Heat as an offensive cooldown. It turns Vent Heat into the exact sort of safety-net that Pyro needs because it flagrantly encourages High-Risk behavior like this.

During that stretch hit TSO for an Incin Missile when it expires, then keep pushing. Sometimes you'll get lucky and go an entire boss fight without using Vent Heat because you didn't need it. Sometimes you'll get extremely lucky and be worried about hitting 0 heat when you're trying to get 80+. If you're a Gamblin' Man, then you know that this sort of behavior can pay out big or screw you, but Vent Heat allows it to screw you and then effectively reset your heat like nothing happened.

After that, go back to being a Dr. Jekyll. Just be ready to turn into Mr Hyde the second Vent Heat comes back off of cooldown. Aggressive use of TSO is also encouraged.

If you are on Voice coms, it really pays to warn your tank before you do this. You'll need to.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

Avoid wasting Rail Shot resets. If the proc is up and you use RP/FB, you may get another reset. At this point, you didn't get to fire off your first RS, which would have vented some heat for you, hence wasted. So learn to pay attention to the proc in your buffs line, the fire screen proc animation, or the laugh.

If Vent Heat is on cooldown.

If Vent Heat is ready to go, play like a responsible Boy Scout and manage your heat and DPS for about 10-20 seconds to give the tank a lead. Be as Dr. Jekyll as possible at the beginning of the fight.

Then redline your threat. Go beast mode Mr. Hyde. Push as absolutely hard as you can, preferably while Explosive Fuel is active. Due to how aggressive play like this makes excellent use of our "filler" to provide Heat Venting Rail Shots, Pyro makes the best use of Vent Heat as an offensive cooldown. It turns Vent Heat into the exact sort of safety-net that Pyro needs because it flagrantly encourages High-Risk behavior like this.

During that stretch hit TSO for an Incin Missile when it expires, then keep pushing. Sometimes you'll get lucky and go an entire boss fight without using Vent Heat because you didn't need it. Sometimes you'll get extremely lucky and be worried about hitting 0 heat when you're trying to get 80+. If you're a Gamblin' Man, then you know that this sort of behavior can pay out big or screw you, but Vent Heat allows it to screw you and then effectively reset your heat like nothing happened.

After that, go back to being a Dr. Jekyll. Just be ready to turn into Mr Hyde the second Vent Heat comes back off of cooldown. Aggressive use of TSO is also encouraged.

If you are on Voice coms, it really pays to warn your tank before you do this. You'll need to.

Just to tag onto this, since I think it needs to be said (and I hear about so many Pyro build PTs not using it), you need to make good use of your thermal sensor override. It's great use for a free refresh of IM, and I start off using it every time. You should also spec to do as much critical damage as possible, since Automated Defenses and Fire Bug thrive off this. If you manage your energy well, there's no reason you should be as good or almost as good as many other DPSers out there.