Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware: Allow Advanced Class Respec!

Dunzo

No - If you don't like the AC you chose there are more character slots (probably...) for you to make a character that is the AC you now want.

We need to stop acting like children and either stick proudly with the decision you originally chose or respec. Quit asking for shortcuts. OMGOMGOMGOMG I MUST HAVE IT NOW AND FAST.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said I need to think about it logically... Now you are saying I'm thinking too much. Which is it?

I am saying you are not thinking about it from a business mentality. SWTOR at the end of the day is designed to generate revenue.

I have a way of increasing that.

No - If you don't like the AC you chose there are more character slots (probably...) for you to make a character that is the AC you now want.

We need to stop acting like children and either stick proudly with the decision you originally chose or respec. Quit asking for shortcuts. OMGOMGOMGOMG I MUST HAVE IT NOW AND FAST.

Will you unsubscribe if they implement this feature?

If you say no and I am willing to pay EXTRA money, then you don't have much room to stand on.

Edited by Tsavo

I am saying you are not thinking about it from a business mentality.

But that's not what you said.

However from a business mentality this can be a bad idea for several reasons.

One, people don't like feeling like someone can throw cash at a problem and make it go away. So this would cause no end of problems with the playerbase, because the rich can now buy a direct in game effect.

That leads to even more people complaining about the game, and would hurt subs, when it gets around how people can buy their way around in SWTOR.

Two, it would lead to shorter over all sub times, because someone can simply switch over from one AC to another. That would lead to people asking to be able to buy a whole character respect and change their Shadow into a Sorcerer.

Three, it would mean the hard core types would expect anyone who plays with them to cough up the cash and respect into the optimal AC for end game content.

Four, it would make it harder for Bioware to address class issues, when people have spent real money to change from one AC to another. This would lead to people demanding a refund if the class they paid for is nerfed.

Five, a one time deal would never be enough, and the cost would be to high, sooner or you'd have more and more people demanding for more respecs and a lower price.

So yeah, you still don't have anything approaching a even remotely valid reason for Bioware to do what you want. Because all you see is what you want, you clearly do not consider any other possible outcomes from the change.

Edited by VanorDM

Will you unsubscribe if they implement this feature?

If you say no and I am willing to pay EXTRA money, then you don't have much room to stand on.

Actually there is a fair chance that could contribute to me leaving. It will severely degrade the game to the point where choosing your class means nothing.

For Example: "Oh sorcerers are the OP class atm, sweet im switching"

So yeah, keep your ridiculous money argument away from me. No I won't pay money for them to stop something like this, but there are a fair amount of good MMOs out there that won't sacrifice the dignity of their game for a quick buck.

Don't get me wrong, I want bioware to make lots of money on this game, I think this could seriously hinder the game.

Edited by Viphex

I thought some more about this post.

This just simply needs to be implemented into the game and like yesterday.

I am a Jedi Guardian now, level 41. I have a level 28ish Marauder and a level 23ish juggernaut.

Not everyone who plays the game watches youtube videos and does a ton of research before they play. I do and even I wish I could change my choice.

If you were some noob who picked this game up off the shelf and just wanted to play swtor, you had to pick your advanced class based on a few lines of TEXT no in-game demonstration AT ALL. NOR Could you view the list of abilities that you would get (you only got to see talents).

It is a huge penalty to players and not beginner friendly at all. And most of importantly IT IS NOT FUN, it is irritating and that is what matters.

Here is what I propose:

Once every 3 months charge 25$ USD (micro transactions are coming, its unstoppable).

You can do a quest chain that will reset your advanced class and allow you to try out the other. HOWEVER you are able to switch back ONLY within 24 hours. Once you complete your advanced class quest you are now STUCK for the next 3 months.

However you will get one satchel of a starting level 50 set. You must be level 50 to do this quest.

Heck tie it in with the legacy system. Just implement it!

The AC guy told you that the Sentinel was for damage and the Guardian protection. It even makes you make a choice there so you can audibly hear your character say something like "I prefer to protect others". They give you plenty indication and also warn you several times that it's a permanent choice. Unless you space barred through it all (which is still your fault, not theirs), you knew very well that your choice could not be changed.

If you want to play the other AC, make and alt or reroll. Otherwise, you're making the game only have 4 classes for each side instead of 8.

The game is perfectly fine the way it is.

Otherwise, you're making the game only have 4 classes for each side instead of 8.

This right here is the single biggest reason to not allow AC switching.

The idea of paying $25 every 3 months doesn't change the fact that this is exactly what would happen. Only now if you are a end game type, you'd be expected to cough up $25 every 3 months if they change the current FOTM class.

This right here is the single biggest reason to not allow AC switching.

The idea of paying $25 every 3 months doesn't change the fact that this is exactly what would happen. Only now if you are a end game type, you'd be expected to cough up $25 every 3 months if they change the current FOTM class.

You are assuming the end game in this game requires you to min-max for progression. But the truth is hard modes are already on farm.

I could do it in:

DC Universe online

Asherons Call 2

Starwars Galaxies

Champions Online

Star Trek online (Ship type)

Rift gives you 3 incredibly different trees.

Edited by Tsavo

The AC guy told you that the Sentinel was for damage and the Guardian protection. It even makes you make a choice there so you can audibly hear your character say something like "I prefer to protect others". They give you plenty indication and also warn you several times that it's a permanent choice. Unless you space barred through it all (which is still your fault, not theirs), you knew very well that your choice could not be changed.

If you want to play the other AC, make and alt or reroll. Otherwise, you're making the game only have 4 classes for each side instead of 8.

The game is perfectly fine the way it is.

So one voiced over line in a game that is fully voiced over is suppose to give me the insight and knowledge needed to know just how different the other is?

You are assuming the end game in this game requires you to min-max for progression. But the truth is hard modes are already on farm.

Truth is it would reduce classes from 8 to 4.

I'd support a payed service to switch ACs or a free lvl 10 of the same class after you reach a certain level. Beyond that, I'd have to say no to ac respecs.

So one voiced over line in a game that is fully voiced over is suppose to give me the insight and knowledge needed to know just how different the other is?

No, the leveling 1-10 AND the paragraph about the classes along with available roles of that AC is supposed to give you the insight and knowledge you need to make your decision.

You get less than that deciding between a consular and knight.

Edited by Sapphix

You are assuming the end game in this game requires you to min-max for progression.

No what I assume is that end game players will require that people min-max. If the game requires it or not, isn't nearly as important as what the players demand.

This is quite frankly a bad idea, and the reasons why have been laid out many many times. So far the best reason I've seen to allow it, is because some people want it.

That's it, that's the best reason I've seen, because I wanna.

I could do it in:

None of those games you list are MMO's have the same kind of class system that SWTOR has, so they simply don't mean a thing.

No, but that one line should give you a pretty big clue that you won't be able to change your mind once you make your choice... Since that is exactly what it tells you.

If at that point you make a decision knowing full well there's no way to change it, without what you feel is enough information, that's your own fault.

You made a choice, you don't like it... But that doesn't mean the game should be ruined for me and everyone else, just because you don't like the choice you made.

Don't bother with the "it won't hurt you" thing, because that argument has been proven wrong so many times it's not worth repeating.

Edited by VanorDM

You made a choice, you don't like it... But that doesn't mean the game should be ruined for me and everyone else, just because you don't like the choice you made.

This.

Although I do support a payed AC respec (because I feel Bioware SHOULD make money). I think more money would translate to more content for us, effecting the community in a positive way.

Bioware,

Please allow Advanced Class Respec. There's no reason for this, give players the choice! If you're worried it will hurt your story or something - don't. You don't seem to care you send Jedi to go slaughter hundreds of Sand People, so why care about something that is needlessly restricting players?

Thanks!

THINGS TO CONSIDER:

1. An Advanced Class is separate from a Class in SWTOR. Support: http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes

2. Players deserve freedom, especially when it doesn't effect you in any way.

3. Given the same choices, a player's story, companions and ship is exactly the same regardless of your AC.

4. Just because you enjoy making 16 alts doesn't mean the player next to you does.

5. There's many legitimate reasons why a player at any level might need to respec AC's. It does not mean they are lazy/stupid.

ALSO:

Links showing Bioware has supported this idea...

WATCH:

Thanks to Salzwasser for the link.

...and more recently, read: http://torwars.com/2011/12/01/stephen-reid-on-advanced-class-switching/

POLL HERE: http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=4f1285a6c2e1b0e46168c294

No, just no.

Advance class is a whole new class. It is not a respec of skills its an entire new class. Have blizz ever allowed a mage to change to a warrior? Or a paladin to a hunter? No, as they are complete diff classes, as are the advance class. PPL need to read and listen before choosing. I have got 1 of each advance class. it takes **** all to level to 10. It is no diff than choosing a class at lvl 1. BW wanted to do something diff with classes and a applued them. I like it this way. Iff BW crumble to the QQ cry babys then it shows that this game won't last as they will then cater to all the baby crying pre-pubescent tweens.

I think more money would translate to more content for us, effecting the community in a positive way.

In my experience, from City of Heroes, a bit of WoW, STO and CO... Microtransactions seldom seem to do a lot to improve the community in a positive way.

I personally have no issue with them, provided they are cosmetic in nature. Orange items, pets, emotes, ect... That I personally have no issue with. But lots of other people do.

However there's a rather large difference between buying a pet, or even a special kind of mount that has the same speed as others, and buying a Class change.

In my experience, from City of Heroes, a bit of WoW, STO and CO... Microtransactions seldom seem to do a lot to improve the community in a positive way.

I personally have no issue with them, provided they are cosmetic in nature. Orange items, pets, emotes, ect... That I personally have no issue with. But lots of other people do.

However there's a rather large difference between buying a pet, or even a special kind of mount that has the same speed as others, and buying a Class change.

Don't think of it like a microtransaction, it's more of a service like a name change or a faction swap.

I think its probably because most people on these boards are just way to young to realize that we all don't have all the time in the world to re-roll characters because we weren't able to test drive them out.

This assumption is failure on a critical level. The people on the forums are all KINDS of people. Its not just populated by "kids" like you seem to think it is. You DO have time to reroll a class. Yes, it may take longer, but there's not a time limit! Bioware doesn't delete the character if you aren't level 50 within two weeks. Will you have to work a while longer to get a second class you prefer to max level? Sure. But you have the time. If you have the time to level one, you have the time to level two. You just stop playing the first.

The only people who might not have to time to roll another character are the terminally ill and deploying soldiers. Are you either of those? And if you are, you have more important things to think about than rolling a second character on SWTOR.

A boomkin plays completely different from a feral bear.

You're picking one of two WoW classes (out of 10) that can perform all three roles. The other eight can do a single role or two roles. Its the exception, not the rule. Nothing in SWTOR can do all three roles.

Don't think of it like a microtransaction, it's more of a service like a name change or a faction swap.

Both of those are to a point a cosmetic thing though. Name change doesn't truly effect how I play the game... Other then perhaps letting me get away with stuff.

Faction swap, I would assume means converting the lvl X Powertech into a lvl X Vanguard, which if you put the issues with the storyline aside, is again more or less a cosmetic thing. You haven't actually changed how the character plays, just what it looks like.

Being able to change from a Shadow to a Sage is a whole different thing.

You DO have time to reroll a class.

Yeah not sure why people seem to think they don't have time to play a video game... Because if you truly do not have the time, then aren't you kinda waiting your $15 a month?

It's not like there's a whole lot going on at lvl 50 here anyway. So it's not like you're going to miss out on the huge end game party everyone else is having.

If you have time to level up one character you the time to do it again, and again and again... The end game won't miss you.

You may not want to, but there's a big difference between want and need. Something that most adults understand.