The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Defense vs Absorption

Giermak

As a tanking vanguard which should I be looking for more. Up to this point I have been modifying my gear with absorption but I am about to hit 40 and after that I want to start looking for level 50 gear. I just want to make sure I am making the correct choices when it comes to gear. Can anyone help me?

The rule of thumb for vanguards is

Shield Rating > Absorption > Defense

You want your shield to trigger as often as possible because of our talents "Shield Cycler" (gain an energy cell when an attack is shielded) and "Stock Strike" (finish Stockstrike cooldown when an attack is shielded). Also, healers have an easier time with steady, but medium damage than with the more spikier damage you get from stacking defense rating.

The rule of thumb for vanguards is

Shield Rating > Absorption > Defense

You want your shield to trigger as often as possible because of our talents "Shield Cycler" (gain an energy cell when an attack is shielded) and "Stock Strike" (finish Stockstrike cooldown when an attack is shielded). Also, healers have an easier time with steady, but medium damage than with the more spikier damage you get from stacking defense rating.

I'd have to disagree slightly with that

Absorption = Shield > defense

Simply because the absorption stat gives about 60% more then the shield stat. But since they are linked and shielding gives other bonuses, your better of keeping them at about the same level.

all these X > Y comparisons are wrong, they have to be wrong. secondary stats as defense, shieldraing, absorb have a very heavy diminishing return, and they interact with each other. it highly depends on your current gear what is "the best stat".

for more information:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=157669

(two very good links in posting #2 and #3)

As much as I want to focus on just Defense chance (lets face it ignoring 100% of an incoming attack is just epic!)

It may feel nice, but it can be stressful for the healer. Shield rating gives you a much higher chance per point to mitigate damage than defense (before diminishing returns). While the shield only blocks part of the damage, a high shield rating makes for a smoother, more predictable damage income, which is easier to heal against.

Absorbtion absorbs how much dmg your shield takes when it goes off. More than half the attacks in pvp dont trigger the shield like they do in pve like all the yellows. If you have good defense you will notice your character dodging a whole hell of alot, just think of the mitigation when you dodge a 4k crit. so i would say defense for pvp then shield for more procs then absorb to soak up the dmg. Am i wrong here?

I think that just like Sheild chance, Defense chance does not properly apply in PVP often for non weapon biased attacks.

Having a high health pool is your last line of defense, because when your armor, shield and all else fail, this is all you have to keep you going.

Its a balancing act, having a high health pool, high armor, high defense chance & high shield stats all make for a good tank. Evenly focusing on all of them make for a well rounded tank.

I tried a spec the other day where I dropped all the 5 points out of the 10% shield chance area, and I immediately felt more squishy in pvp, so it is working to some extent.

And the three points for 3% more endurance in our trees right now is an utter joke. For someone who has about ~20K health like me, it only added 450 more health :(