Newb keybind question...

JdActuary

So I've been leveling my smuggler scoundrel as a clicker/keyboard turner. I realise that to compete in PvP I'll need to have keybindings, I've just been too lazy to set em up since I've only been solo questing so far anyway.

I did a little bit of keybinding in WoW, but I'm trying to do it the "right" way this time.

My question is about Taugrim's keybind guide, which I've found very helpful:

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

An interesting part of his advice is actually to not bind forward movement to a key, but rather press both mouse buttons to move forward. The only annoying part about that is that I can no longer move the camera around my character while I'm moving. For example, positioning the camera so that I can look behind my character (using right click)while I move forward with W.

I feel like there are times where moving in one direction and facing the camera in another direcion is advantageous. Is this going to hurt me at all as far as gameplay or is it a newb habit that I'll eventually discover was never useful?

I am an avid PvP'er and cannot imagine not having full use of my camera. Without messing about with it I'm not sure if you could use both mouse buttons together AND be able to find a way to naturally move the camera.

My cousin used to do this until I convinced him to invest into a Razer Naga. He never looked back and has been very happy to have the easy use of his camera again.

Moral of the story is to invest in a gaming mouse if at all possible. With a Naga you can also shift click any button for additional abilities. It truly is the best investment you can make besides buying the game (assuming it runs well).

I am trying to offer useful advice and that is to get a multi-button MMO gaming mouse :D

Anybody?

Im not a big fan of using both mouse keys as default for moving forward. Like you, I enjoy being able to move my camera from side to side. This helps a ton in situation awareness. As an example, while tanking a group of mobs and moving back (to pull them into line for a cone attack) I can do a quick sweep side to side to make sure no stray mob is going for/shooting the healer.

Just one small example. I use my camera allot, whether its for awareness issues, looking for my next mob to target as the last one falls, or to simply enjoy the scenery as im running.

I prefer to keep my forward key (it's only one less bind key after all), and to use the keys round it for binds. I'm s ESDF person myself, and i bind the keys around those for actions. numbers 1-0 are saved for less used skills. and I set my mouse up (5 button mouse is mandatory for me), so i have ctrl and alt set up on mouse buttons.

So my first bar is QWRTAGZXCV. next one is ctrl + the same setup, third one is alt + same setup. give me lots of binds!

Now we only need a few more bars, and the ability to CHANGE THE DEFAULT UI SCALE !! Oh plz Bio! a 24 in monitor, and I still have a 1/3rd of my screen taken up with bars and maps when they're all out like I enjoy it.

I changed my entire bottom bar to <W,A,D,S,F,Q,E,C,R,Z,X> My middle mouse is force leap. Alt-d is next target. Tab is target center. Shift-w is a skill. Numbers 1-3 are my 3 minute cooldowns. If I want to look behind me, I press num lock. This binding works well for me. I did it for solo'ing, not Pvp. It's just easier to use.

My bars are

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, shift+1, Shift+2, shift+3 shift+4, shift+5, z, x

`, q, e, r, f, shift+`, shift +q, shift +e, shift +r, shift+f, shift+z, shift+x

and my left sidebar has mouse3, mouse4, mouse5, and the shift-variations of them

It works really well for me. I can't imagine going without WASD or needing to.

Incoming wall of text

I have been clicking for so long, because I an not good at typing. I can still type about 30 words per min using both hands but only 3 fingers on each hand ( but i have to look at the keyboard.

So i got by clicking jsut fine, and knew i had a skill limit in pvp because of this.

With this game I decided to start from scratch learning keybinds, as I knew if i got use to clicking I wouldn't go back. I have played MMO's this way for long enough that even when typing I find my left hand naturally rests on W A D with my pinky on shift.

The first thing i did was keybind A to strafe left and D to strafe right, and unbound S from walk backwards. I still clicked but this got me used to at least just moving around with the right mouse button. I found myself reaching for Q and E to strafe ALOT.

Next I bound those keys i kept reaching for. Q went to my default free attack, and E went to my best used for the cost ability. ( double strike for my jedi shadow) Next was rebinding R and F and C as personally these are easy for me to reach. I keybound 1-4 as well but I personally have trouble reaching them. For me I dont have the finger dexterity to stretch with my ring and pinky finger much at all. I cant reach Z or X well at all.

So I am getting by with this so far and at least somewhat comfortable as this game rotation is pretty easy for my shadow R E Q E Q E E E. I literally spam double strike so much its easy. Just hit R and C every once in awhile if i get a proc.

Then i went back to playing my scoundrel. which i had been use to clicking ( healing at that too) Everything felt slow again and i didnt have the responsiveness i wanted. So i decided i was going to set up my keybinds for that character..... I logged on and sat there for an hour trying to figure out how i was going to bind all the abilites i use. I had no trouble binding on a DPS, thats all i did was bind damage abilities and interrupts. However on my scoundrel i needed to be able to heal and still DPS solo, and then set the cover bar as well. Another hour and i jsut decided to log off and write this book here.

TLDR:

How do you healers set your keybinds to be able to heal and still kill things solo and target party members?