Target nearest enemy should be default "tab" binding

OMGitsAktioN

yeah but it took me like a week to figure out that was the problem with targeting. Why would it default to next instead of nearest?

From memory, every single MMORPG I have played has the default tab targetting set to next target instead of nearest.

It's one of the first bindings I remap when firing up a new MMORPG as ALWAYS seems to default to next rather than nearest.

Driz

From memory, every single MMORPG I have played has the default tab targetting set to next target instead of nearest.

It's one of the first bindings I remap when firing up a new MMORPG as ALWAYS seems to default to next rather than nearest.

Driz

yeah thats stupid shouldn't have to switch

This. Since the beginning of time.

Defaulting tab to Target Nearest would go against convention as much as defaulting W to backward and S to forward.

If you have no current target, tab will generally select the nearest target anyway, then cycle based on proximity. You can set a separate keybind for Target Nearest if you need a specific key to jump directly to the nearest enemy without first clearing your target.

____

Side note that this MMO convention has a basis in OS conventions too; it's not arbitrary. Tab is often used in different areas of various OSes to cycle through options. (Alt- or Command-tabbing between windows in Windows/OS X respectively; tabbing between panes in Windows Explorer; tab to move between dialog options in Windows popup dialogs.) It carries over from there.