If SWTOR is a Theme Park...

USMCG_PANZER

...and a lot of people are happy with it being a Theme Park MMO, what could be done to satisfy customers that prefer Sandbox style MMOs?

What could be added to the game to allow for a more Sandbox style of play without taking the fun away from people that enjoy the current quest heavy theme-park model?

On top of my head.

*HOUSING

- EQ and SWG for inspiration.

* SPACE SIM

- Wing Commander and SWG for inspiration.

* In-DEPTH CRAFTING SYSTEM (economy)

- EvE and SWG for inspiration.

* CLASSES including Skills/Talents/Feats etc (dont expect this will happen at any point)

- Elder Scrolls, SWG, Star Wars (WEG - Pen&paper) for inspiration.

* GENERAL CUSTOMIZATION (characters, Veichles, houses etc)

- City of H/V, DCUO and SWG for inspiration.

* OPEN WORLD

- SWG and Vanguard for inspiration.

* INTERACTION (player@player/Environment)

- LOTRO and SWG for inspiration.

* RvR

- DAOC, WAR for inspiration.

A few true current sandbox games I would say are: Mortal Online, EvE, Anarchy Online, Darkfall and such.

Edited by eclipce

Having played quite a bit of SWG (pre CU), I think some of those suggestions are great.

Would you see any problems combining those with what is already there without damaging the experience of people who enjoy the current theme-park state of SWTOR?

I dont have time to elaborate and type down examples and suggestions but a few pointers to your question. BTW: theme-park I'll refer to as "casuals" in this post.

PS: I'm an SWG veteran and long time player of that game.

@ Housing - Perhaps focus more on player ships, apartmens/bunkers and space stations/command ships and such for guilds. Instance entire player owned/ran cities/ships wich mean that you in no way clutter up the game world for other players.

@ Space-Sim - Keep the current rail-shooter for the casual and develop and implement a space-sim.

@ In-Depth Crafting - Keep the current but make some adjustments so it fits with an In-Depth crafting environment. Casuals can craft, and crafters can be truly dedicated and the player economy and interaction would blossom - of/c add player ran vendors and such or improve the GTN.

@ Classes - This wont happen, they would have to re-create the entire system down to it's core I believe. One solution to this could be that you have a few core "classes" that auto-level for you to balance your character depending on your choice and game style/role.

@ General Customization - No problems in any way for the casual.

@ Open World - no problem for the casual if you keep the linear pre-designed "do this and go here to continue" path as it is now.

@ Interaction - No problems in any way for the casual.

@ RvR - Here you need more factions and I dont think this will happen, atleast not any time soon since the game is heavily bases on Rep/Jedi vs Imp/sith. I dont believe that the casual would have any problems with this. Perhaps this or these other factions was something you could choose at a later stage, say at lvl 50 and a quest line to join either the Mandalorians, Hutt Cartel and the Black Sun as examples.

Edited by eclipce