That new Imperial Accent idea doesn't really make a lot of sense, does it?

OldVengeance

I can appreciate then trying to maybe add some cultural distinctiveness between Republic and Sith Empire, but it really doesn't hold up when thinking about it. Jorgen instantly recognizes the Sergent on Taris with a British Accent as being from an Imperial World, which implies that only Sith Empire citizens speak that way. But British accents are hardly new in the Star Wars expanded universe (in this or any era), and the Sith Empire only reappeared relatively recently. Are they trying to suggest Bastila Shan (and all the other British sounding people ever) was secretly part of the Ancient Sith Empire too? Or was Bastila rectoned to having an American accent now?

The Old Sith Empire got a new influx of Humans from the feodally ruled Tapani sector - where slavery is still prevalent beyond the movies - in about 5500 BBY. It's likely that the accent comes from there originally. Tapani sector has it's own long-lived Sith cult among it's backward nobility, the Mecrosa Order, which the Jedi fought after the Great Sith War, so even when the accent exists elsewhere in the Republic known space, it can be still usually connected to the Sith. Edited by Rouge

I believe that the accent exists outside of Imperial Space, with the Empire's return (and they all speak in that particular accent) the accent just happened to become identified with them. There are probably tons of people in the galaxy who aren't from the Imperial planets and still have a similiar (speak: same) accent.

Retcon, probably.

Definitely.

Same woman who voices Satele, voiced Bastila, and she does it in almost an identical voice now. See the COnsular class quest on Coruscant.

But as others have already explained, I don't think it really has anything to do with *only* the Imps speaking that way. Also, there are still plenty of Imps in-game who don't speak that way.

At least, in my Jedi Knight's story, most of the major Imperial defectors I've met speak perfectly normal - i.e. without any accent whatsoever.

This is a callback (call-forward) to the original trilogy, where almost all of the Rebel forces speak English with American accents, and almost all of the Imperials speak British English.

Given that, in some cities that cover a relatively tiny geographic area (think New York or Boston), you can pinpoint which street corner someone grew up on by differences in how they speak, the idea that whole planets would have an identifiable, uniform accent (one that has to do with political affiliation, not geography or culture, especially) is pretty silly if you think about it for more than five minutes. So I take it as a reference to the original trilogy and leave it there.

Edited by Meira_Arirai