The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Starting Vanguard PVP as an Assault Spec. Need help please

Junebugman

I just hit 50 and spent lvl 10-50 in shield spec. I want to try pure dps and this is the spec I created on my character...I was hoping some people could give me some advice about the build with any helpful suggestions.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801bMZMsZfhrrzhhrs.1

Also I would like to hear from experienced AS vanguards as to what is your rotation. I can tell it all revolves around IR, but what is the best way to do max damage without button mashing and ending up with 0/12 ammo?

I'm a firm believer in PVP for most tough battles you are best using Ion cell.

I also feel going all out damage doesnt work on Vanguard. The class benefits more from dropping a bit of damage for defense so in the end you inflict more hurt as you are living longer.

Using plasma cell with your current build you won't last long in a 2vs1 situation.

If your team is losing your spec just won't cut it.

Although if you want to keep your set-up then keep in mind incendiary round is 3ammo so always try to hit reserve powercell before it to save the large ammo usuage as much as possible.

Anyone have any good advice on how to play the AS spec? I just got out of a few WZs and my damage was around 80-90k each and I'd get smashed pretty easily. But I constantly hear about AS vanguards topping 300k damage and being kings at kiting. How do you guys rotate and how do you even have your hotkeys set up?

Anyone have any good advice on how to play the AS spec? I just got out of a few WZs and my damage was around 80-90k each and I'd get smashed pretty easily. But I constantly hear about AS vanguards topping 300k damage and being kings at kiting. How do you guys rotate and how do you even have your hotkeys set up?

It's fairly simple, watch for high impact proc, use it when up.

It's a priority system: High Impact Bolt > Assault Plastic > Stockstrike > Ion Pulse

Only problem I have with it is that it's very luck based, sometimes you get a proc on basicly every stockstrike/pulse and other times you run out of ammo trying to get a proc...

It's fairly simple, watch for high impact proc, use it when up.

It's a priority system: High Impact Bolt > Assault Plastic > Stockstrike > Ion Pulse

Only problem I have with it is that it's very luck based, sometimes you get a proc on basicly every stockstrike/pulse and other times you run out of ammo trying to get a proc...

I leveled 10-49 as an assault spec Vanguard. I absolutely loved it. I topped DPS charts at top 3-4 almost every warzone. I really felt like I made a difference in the warzones with the DPS and survivability I brought to the table.

The poster I've quoted pretty much has the gist of it. I never took Assault Plastique, as I branched into the shield tree. It is very RNG dependent, but when that RNG hits, you'll blow people up.

I don't typically take screenshots, so I missed my highest WZ to date, at right over 300k damage in a Voidstar. I just started running with pre-mades as well, so we'll see how that goes.

I switched to Shield/Assault at 50 to try something new with the guild I joined, and I'm a pretty consistent 200k on Civil War/Voidstar. Storm rocks so much face for Huttball that I'm always the ball carrier, however.

Edited by Sunchyne

Well Im just lvl 16 and i am doing 150-200k dmg on average with 30kills and 8 medals. Cant get more because my medpacks arent strong enough to get desired heals.

Anyway I have just few points in AS and my tactic is simple so far. Alternate basic shoot with ammo consuming ones, open with explosives followed by ....forgot the name.... one you hit with a back of your gun then ion shoot and hib when is rdy.

Keep Ion cell up and guard on some healer and you will be just fine. No bigger problems 1vs1 even with higher lvl players.

Check also Taugrim`s channel on youtube for more detailed info and look ay his website.

Cheers.