Stephen pls, a word on Security Key

recsa

First let me state clear, that im the only one responsible of this, acting before thinking is a too common problem i use to stumble on, and bet i will keep doing.

The fact is that as soon as i saw the Android Security Key thing i download and applied to my account, with minor phone problems it is working fine, but AFTER setting it up i noticed theres no way to remove the security from my account and then i just panicked, because i have great ease to loose my phone, not counting with damage or failures on internet's phone service ... i fear sooner or later i will not be able to log into the game for some days (while i get a new phone).

I sent a ticket and the reply was that i had to phone customer service, sadly i cant speak english (and hardly write it as you can see) so i would like to know if you have plans in the VERY NEAR FUTURE to add the possibility to remove the security key from my account by myself, you know, adding "my account" --> "settings" ---> "remove security key"

If not, do you think it would be possible to have my security key removed from my account via email or any other non phone system?

Thx a lot.

At the moment the only way to remove it is to call the CS. They said they would implement an online system to do just that and that it's a high priority - sadly don't count on them giving an exact ETA.

I was using the android key just like you. Until it stopped working one day, just like that. If you have a basic understanding of spoken english (or a friend who can speak for you) you should be fine when calling them. Removal is a simple and quick process, my whole conversation took maybe 5 minutes. You need to tell them you want the security removed from your account, then you'll need to spell your email address and answer some of your security questions.

Just use Skype to avoid international rates ;)

Edited by Khelien

Its hard to understand why they are going this way with removal,

only BW know why they do these things but it seems to me that if I have the authenticator set up properly it cant be a big ask to use the key to remove it online in my own account

I can see they want account security at its highest, its a royal pain digging into peoples hacked accounts gathering up their gear and stuff to hand it back to them but its also important to cater for the normal user, lets keep it friendly.

I don't want a key to be too easy to remove either though. If it's too easy to remove it then it's not so secure either.

I don't want someone to have easy access to my account without the security key and then be able to remove it. THat kind of defeats the object.

If you're talking about people needing the key and then being able to remove it then fine :)

I don't want a key to be too easy to remove either though. If it's too easy to remove it then it's not so secure either.

I don't want someone to have easy access to my account without the security key and then be able to remove it. THat kind of defeats the object.

If you're talking about people needing the key and then being able to remove it then fine :)

I think we would all want a clone of Battle.net system - you need authenticator to log onto your account, and then another two consecutive codes to remove the authenticator yourself.

When I found out I couldn't remove the key online myself, I honestly felt less secure :( I often flash new roms on my phone and I don't want to call them every time I do it...

I sent a ticket and the reply was that i had to phone customer service, sadly i cant speak english (and hardly write it as you can see) so i would like to know if you have plans in the VERY NEAR FUTURE to add the possibility to remove the security key from my account by myself, you know, adding "my account" --> "settings" ---> "remove security key"

Your English is by far and a way better than that of some native English speakers I know...

I can see them possibly adding the ability to remove it while you still have the key, so you can authenticate using it to confirm that you are who you say you are. Doing it any other way would defeat the object of the security key.

Removing it when you don't have the authenticator any more, for whatever reason, will always be a contact customer services thing.

Hell Blizzard make you contact CS and provide them with photographic proof of ID. This is in fact one of the reasons why I don't have a WoW account any more; I had the soft authenticator on one of my old iPhones. Right now I don't have any photographic ID (my passport expired years ago and I can't be bothered to renew it and I don't drive) so I actually had no way of getting it removed (I wasn't really bothered by this, to be honest).

Edited by HELhikari

Having the same problem here, I just bought a new phone (as my old phone, the one with the security key application, broke), so now I have to use my old, broken, almost impossible to use phone to log into SWTOR.

I've sent an email to support but have yet to hear back from them, forcing people to call their support center seems harsh to be honest.

I've sent an email to support but have yet to hear back from them, forcing people to call their support center seems harsh to be honest.

Don't wait for an email, they'll just tell you to call CS. There really is no other way to remove it.

But in order to login you actually need the security key, so if i authenticate myself with the security key and then remove it i think the security is guaranteed

Wheras I agree with everything you say OP (and your english is fine, but granted it's easier to compose a letter than to speak) you should consider having this security key.

I had my WoW account hacked and it was absolutely no fun. The first thing I did was to install a security key, and I'm happy that I did. Of course if I lose my phone then I am in trouble.

You are right, you should be able to remove your key, but consider keeping it. It really does help.

But in order to login you actually need the security key, so if i authenticate myself with the security key and then remove it i think the security is guaranteed

Yeah that is more or less what I was saying. It should be needed in order to remove it unless you've lost it then you should have to deal with CS.

I'm perfectly fine with the removal being permitted by the user themselves if they've logged on using the authenticator :)

Edited to add: Not that I get the say so on any of these matters :D LOL

Edited by Xerda

It's actually far more secure to let people unlink their security key app/dongle from their accounts, as they have to use it to access the account page than letting anyone pretend to be me on a phone call...

Wheras I agree with everything you say OP (and your english is fine, but granted it's easier to compose a letter than to speak) you should consider having this security key.

I had my WoW account hacked and it was absolutely no fun. The first thing I did was to install a security key, and I'm happy that I did. Of course if I lose my phone then I am in trouble.

You are right, you should be able to remove your key, but consider keeping it. It really does help.

I have never got my account hacked in any game, also my passwords are ... a hacker's nightmare, lengthy, full of caps and lower case, numbers, ... hard to force brute, but still i like the idea of a security key, but as i said ... every time i have to login i think "omg ... one day i will have no phone" it's a matter of possibilities, theres a 0.2%? possibilities of getting my account hacked, but theres a 99.99% chance i will be without phone in the next 3-4 months :D

A physical one, maybe. But the android app is far too unstable and crappy to seriously use one as a security measure. I'll probably give it another try in a year or so, maybe by then they'll make a good app out of it. For now, I'll just stick to my 20+ chars random password ;)

It's actually far more secure to let people unlink their security key app/dongle from their accounts, as they have to use it to access the account page than letting anyone pretend to be me on a phone call...

We aren't really disagreeing. You just haven't read all I've written.

Edited by Xerda

Also, remember that your phone software updates can and probably will crash your authenticator :)

I have MIUI rom, want to change it for Cyanogen, but im not doing it until i got my sec key removed, im idiot but not so much to shoot myself on feet XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I have MIUI rom, want to change it for Cyanogen, but im not doing it until i got my sec key removed, im idiot but not so much to shoot myself on feet XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I was talking about generic software updates that shouldn't even touch app data - wiping your phone with new firmware will destroy your authenticator :) This app is so awesome it even resists the powers of Titanium Backup :)

And BTW, MiUI ICS is great, I woudn't change to Cyanogen in a million years :)

Edited by Khelien

It's not jut the lost phone, or broken. Then you already screwed anyway. But let's face it, smartphones sometimes needs a factory reset, mostly after a software upgrade.

Or I get a new device, and I want to transfer my authentication key to it.

The best way to do that is to unregister my key on the account, install on the new/reseted/etc. device, and re-register.

Or, the Key app have a unique code, I have to write down, and that code can be typed into the new app, telling the system it's still the same, don't panic.

This code with the secter question/answer could be used to identify your key when you lost the device or it's broken.

I do belive that calling the customer support in the US or maybe UK is not a big deal, but from Hungary or other countries can be a real pain, and definitely not the user-friendly way.

(By the way: why need of the key for just posting on the forums? When I want to access my account, I'm asked my user/pass again anyway, so the key should be used only then.)

I have never got my account hacked in any game, also my passwords are ... a hacker's nightmare, lengthy, full of caps and lower case, numbers, ... hard to force brute, but still i like the idea of a security key, but as i said ... every time i have to login i think "omg ... one day i will have no phone" it's a matter of possibilities, theres a 0.2%? possibilities of getting my account hacked, but theres a 99.99% chance i will be without phone in the next 3-4 months :D

My passwords are the same. I'm a computer scientist after all ;). I still got hacked. I still don't know how. It bugs the hell out of me.

So. I have been hacked. I have never lost my phone. I feel safer this way, but I agree that you should be able to remove or reset the key without calling customer support. Of course if you lose your key, then that's another issue.... how do you verify that you are who you say you are.

In order to sub i had to fill in 5 security questions, i guess it could make it for a pretty decent sec system, at least for a game, but again, im with you, a security key is not a bad idea, i just want to be able to remove it without having to embarass myself in a phone call in a language i dont speak fluently enough.

But from your answers seems i will have to, any1 has the English speaking european CS phone number at hand?

Edited by recsa