Any good books in the SWTOR era?

Gilanden

Hi all,

Awhile back I read the Thrawn books in the post movie era and I really enjoyed them. Now that I am playing this, I am wondering if there are any good books for this era?

I almost got the Revan book off amazon but it looked pretty bad from the ratings and even on here it sounds like I don't want to read that ending =p

Are there any others?

There's another book out called Fatal Alliance, it's not too bad. Then you've got those graphic novels out too so there is a little bit of Old Republic literature available.

I've heard of a series of Star Wars books called 'Lost Tribe of The Sith' also which is supposedly around the Old Republic period..

Revan and Deceived are both great. Fatal Alliance was crap.

As Stoneywas mentions, there are also three comic series set in the SWTOR timeframe. The first two can be read here on the official website (or purchased in trade paperback form); the third - The Lost Suns - will be published in TPB in late April. If you want to step back to 10 years prior to KOTOR I, there was a comic series entitled Knights of the Old Republic. If you want to step back farther than that, pick up Tales of the Jedi.

I've heard of a series of Star Wars books called 'Lost Tribe of The Sith' also which is supposedly around the Old Republic period..

Not exactly, no. Lost Tribe of the Sith begins during the Great Hyperspace War, which was depicted in Tales of the Jedi - a series that spanned 5000 BBY to 3986 BBY, roughly 30 years prior to KOTOR I.

After that early time setting, Lost Tribe starts jumping around. It goes from the 5000 BBY timeframe to 4985 in book 3, to 4975 in book 4, to 3960 in books 5 and 6, to 3900 in book 7, and to between 3000 and 1032 BBY in book 8. The timeframe for the final novella is unknown until the collected version is published (it's being included exclusively as part of the paperback), but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it jumps to the "current" timeframe of the EU - 44 ABY.

All that aside, however, Lost Tribe is pretty bad, even for free.

Edited by psychogobstopper

• 3 years later...
Hi all,

Awhile back I read the Thrawn books in the post movie era and I really enjoyed them. Now that I am playing this, I am wondering if there are any good books for this era?

I almost got the Revan book off amazon but it looked pretty bad from the ratings and even on here it sounds like I don't want to read that ending =p

Are there any others?

Yep the Revan book was the worst, I quite enjoyed Fatal alliance, Annihilation and Deceived though

I'm with others who have mentioned Revan and Deceived. Both were amazing! I couldn't put them down.

Another that I really, really enjoyed was Annihilation. Because of this book Theron became one of my all time favorite characters from Old Republic. I read it before SoR.

I assume people applauding the Revan book are applauding it because of the characters and not the actual quality of the writing?

* shrugs *

I had no issues with the writing or its quality.

I did have issues with how the novel went into auto-pilot, near the end though; plus...

The Exile's death required a more solemn tone to it. T3's sacrifice should have been hers.

I would have the Emperor vaporize the Exile to oblivion, with Revan and Scourge being forced to watch, the latter having caught Revan unawares, and subdued him preceding that moment.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

* shrugs *

I had no issues with the writing or its quality.

I did have issues with how the novel went into auto-pilot, near the end though; plus...

The Exile's death required a more solemn tone to it. T3's sacrifice should have been hers.

I would have the Emperor vaporize the Exile to oblivion, with Revan and Scourge being forced to watch, the latter having caught Revan unawares, and subdued him preceding that moment.

I definitely agree with your bit there. My main issue with quality is that it felt so darn derivative. There was nothing that made me say, in terms of the story, "dang this is good." I'll use Zahn as an example. Thrawn wasn't just a tactical and strategic genius he was a psychologist and a student of art. He actually used the art of races and the psychology it reflected as a weapon. That was very novel (no pun intended). I was never a Revanite myself so the mere fact his character was present wasn't enough for me. I remember having to fight such fandom myself with Feist's books set in Midkemia. I loved Pugh/Milamber...but the Chaos war books? In terms of the story there was simply nothing new. I had to admit he jumped the shark continuing after the Serpent War saga

First off, gotta love the 3-year necro. That being said, since it's turned into a legit discussion:

I assume people applauding the Revan book are applauding it because of the characters and not the actual quality of the writing?

If by quality of the writing you mean the author's use of sentence structure and word choices, then I don't recall Revan being notably better or worse than 99% of SW novels.

If you're talking about the overall plot structure and pacing - then I definitely agree, that was where Revan really suffered. Every now and then a SW book will fall into the trap of having to play 'fill in the blanks' when it is set between or around other works, and Revan got hit with this big time. The Scourge chapters were actually fine, but the Revan and the Exile's ones were kind of a mess right out of the gate.

While I didn't have a 'personal' version of the Exile in mind when I went into the book (I haven't played KotOR II in years and Kreia was about the only thing that particularly stuck with me from it) I felt like her character was really lacking. She was not developed that well (especially for a PoV main character), and what was there basically amounted to 'Revan's sidekick', which seemed like a disservice to her character and also came across as a fairly cheap case of shilling the main character.

I genuinely like Drew K's other works - Annihilation is one of my two favorite SWTOR novels (along with Deceived), and I thought the Darth Bane Trilogy (where he was able to basically write an adaptation of Jedi vs Sith instead of having to fill in around it) was a solid read - so I think Revan's problems had more to do with having to write 'around' the KotOR games and 'set up the pieces' for SWTOR, which left it too constrained to tell an effective story.

Ultimately, I think Revan could have worked if it had been a Lost Tribe of the Sith-style series of short stories, rather than trying to make it work as a stand-alone novel.

Edited by DarthDymond

First off, gotta love the 3-year necro. That being said, since it's turned into a legit discussion:

If by quality of the writing you mean the author's use of sentence structure and word choices, then I don't recall Revan being notably better or worse than 99% of SW novels.

If you're talking about the overall plot structure and pacing - then I definitely agree, that was where Revan really suffered. Every now and then a SW book will fall into the trap of having to play 'fill in the blanks' when it is set between or around other works, and Revan got hit with this big time. The Scourge chapters were actually fine, but the Revan and the Exile's ones were kind of a mess right out of the gate.

While I didn't have a 'personal' version of the Exile in mind when I went into the book (I haven't played KotOR II in years and Kreia was about the only thing that particularly stuck with me from it) I felt like her character was really lacking. She was not developed that well (especially for a PoV main character), and what was there basically amounted to 'Revan's sidekick', which seemed like a disservice to her character and also came across as a fairly cheap case of shilling the main character.

I genuinely like Drew K's other works - Annihilation is one of my two favorite SWTOR novels (along with Deceived), and I thought the Darth Bane Trilogy (where he was able to basically write an adaptation of Jedi vs Sith instead of having to fill in around it) was a solid read - so I think Revan's problems had more to do with having to write 'around' the KotOR games and 'set up the pieces' for SWTOR, which left it too constrained to tell an effective story.

Ultimately, I think Revan could have worked if it had been a Lost Tribe of the Sith-style series of short stories, rather than trying to make it work as a stand-alone novel.

I clarified what I meant above. Your points were also part of that. I once thought Revan and his fanbois were a good things for Star Wars, however between that book and the impact Revan had on this game I have changed my mind.

I clarified what I meant above. Your points were also part of that. I once thought Revan and his fanbois were a good things for Star Wars, however between that book and the impact Revan had on this game I have changed my mind.

Prior to SoR, his involvement was fairly minimal truth be told. I especially enjoyed what I always assumed to be a mockery aimed at those who love all-things Revan, namely the Revanites. :p

Alas, they were misappropriated, and the whole thing ascended to Spinal Tap laughable proportions -- and not in a good way.

At all.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Not yet read the Revan book yet but, the 'Decieved' book was very good. (I listen to it on audiobook) And found it very engaging, it tells you stories from both sides of Republic/Empire and you find yourself rooting for both of them, even when in direct conflict with eachother. If a writer can do this, for me, it normally tells me it's well written. :)

I have heard Annihilation was a good book also. (Another I haven't read yet.)

As for Star Wars books in general, there is a lot of crap to wade though, so I've read some of the good and the bad finding the decent ones and I'd recommend the following to any SW fans:

Bane Trilogy (set in the old republic though 2000 years after SWTOR) The first book is awesome. I've read it a few times, the next two aren't as engaging and felt a little rushed but worth a read at least once.

'Plaugis' probably the best book I've listened too and brings the whole Sith experience alive to the reader. ^^

Thrawn trilogy that you've already mentioned is good. If you liked them, the two books he did after that are also worth a read.

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void - is set in the early Jedi (Je'daii) Years and I enjoyed the book, worth a read imo :)

Prior to SoR, his involvement was fairly minimal truth be told. I especially enjoyed what I always assumed to be a mockery aimed at those who love all-things Revan, namely the Revanites. :p

Alas, they were misappropriated, and the whole thing ascended to Spinal Tap laughable proportions -- and not in a good way.

At all.

Again we are on the same page. I did Pub side first and was like "oh no he's back?" Then I was on Imp side was was like "cool he's gone and makes sense. If one of us in a few levels is strong enough to defeat the Emperor's power and he couldn't 4 of us now should be able to kill him." BUT the fanbois freaked and we got SoR.

I can only hope to god that he is well and truly dead.