The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need some real help with the 21/2/18 Birdie build! Plz!

Hyperius

@if you don't care for background info skip ahead@

So I'll start by giving my bio here. I'm 50/VR 53 now with astounding gear luck(boots, belt, ear, gun lol. BAH! All tank set pieces) And with the new info that shielding is pretty weak currently I purchased a few pieces of the eliminators centurion set. I have 17.5K hp/48% DR/28%shielding and 26 or 27% absorb and 10% ish Expertise(implants centurion, lvl 50 blue pvp set helm/legs etc) I played 4/6/31 exclusively from start to only yesterday. I was not the BEST PT on my server but I was definitely better than the average and was good enough in a team/solo play and in game awareness(ball/doors/defend etc) that I would be asked by people to queue up fairly often. I have NO guild as yet mostly because I find the lack of server/guild forums VERY Disappointing and obviously it's not easy to find a well suited guild. Unless you join any old guild you find. No thanks.

@Skip to if you can't/won't/hate reading@

I'd often be 250-350K damage/high kills and singles. 15-25K protection and a good 9-11 medals usually in my pyro spec. I love a more tank type build so at the advice of these boards I switched to the 21/2/18 build and it's just been a horrendous 2 days =/ I OFTEN protect less somehow, don't ask I just can't explain it. People I guard are constantly going to solo this or that person in the pit, running who knows where and I'm not going to follow them for more prot medals. My damage went down a good 100-150K+ easily and yes I survive more in solo combat but I also think the Very noticeable damage drop makes it just about even except for the fact IMO it's better to kill somebody faster and move on to something/body else.

Dear lord 21/2/18 birdie pro's HELP me plz. I know most of you run a group but if you had to run solo how the heck are you guys doing it? I have NO idea how people are getting the 150K+ protection as they claim. YIKES. Best game I've had is 150K/60K ish prot. I was happy with that given my limited play time. Most are FAR worse. Maybe I'm playing to aggressively like I did pyro? Maybe I'm supposed to? lol. Maybe it's not for me, I hope not as I don't want to be a damage chaser. I want good damage, hard to kill, help the healers and nice mobility @shrugs@ Anyhow, thanks!

PS: It's embarrassing LOL. People have actually asked what happened to me or if somebody else is playing HAH.

What I really like about this game's pvp despite all its flaws are tanks in PvP. If there's something that BW got right about PvP, it's the tank specs. I wouldn't argue that it takes any more skill than other classes, but it definitely demands more than your average DPS.

For the first time in a MMO, good tanks are like a tumor growth for the opposing side. Disruptive in everything they do and a pain to remove. Tanks in this game have some of the best utility and there is a lot you can do with this tool kit that greatly separates good and bad tanks.

For example, anyone can toss out random taunts to score protection medals. However the score they get from that would largely be residue damage scattered all through out. How about using taunts right as they're about start on your healer to get the most out of that -30%. These are completely different uses of the same skill and it won't be reflected on the scoreboard but with contrasting effects.

Another thing tanks have access to are superior positioning and movement skills. You want to be there to make sure their team goes through you to get to what they want. All of your abilities are for one purpose and one purpose only, to buy time for your team. If they're focus firing you and not your squishier friends, good. Don't get caught alone because you thrive most in a group environment, make sure there's someone to take advantage of what you're doing.

Guard on the fly should be used on carriers and healers. If you're high enough you should always try and save people out of a bind if they are worth saving. If you're not bodyguard status toss it in situations where you think drawing out the fight could possibly tip it in your favor. Otherwise, tell your main guard targets what you're doing, separating rather than staying as a squad is detrimental to your play style. TLDR: Guard should be used on the most important player at that given moment on the team, use your judgement.

Seeing as you just swapped over from DPS, take some time in getting adjusted as the ST/Pyro is Tank/CC Utility first, damage second. The more you're able to find openings as such a class for your team, the easier it is to win. Once you get used to that, the defensive play style is very able to carry teams. One of my favorite ways to counter a knock back to the bottom before a huttball score is to Jet Charge carbonize all of them then walk to the line.

TLDR: When you play tank, troll the opposing team.

Edited by Rykke

Yes, most of that sounds pretty fantastic. In a pre-made :p All pretty much what I feel I'm doing already but it really IS my opinion that tanks are not so special when solo run. Fantastic when part of a communicating unit. Thanks for the feedback! Played a few more games with special attention on priority guard targets, running together etc and it was pretty much the same. Without real time communication it seems a steep uphill battle. @shrugs@

PS: Yes, I've become more active in ball carrying etc but most times it feels like there is no support. Nobody gets ahead of me for pass opportunities, Few if any heals, Sorcs just blasting away instead of advancing and pulling me forward, etc. It's really just solidifying my resolve to @Somehow@ find a decent guild. Without server forums...sigh lol.

Edited by Hyperius

Yes, most of that sounds pretty fantastic. In a pre-made :p All pretty much what I feel I'm doing already but it really IS my opinion that tanks are not so special when solo run. Fantastic when part of a communicating unit. Thanks for the feedback! Played a few more games with special attention on priority guard targets, running together etc and it was pretty much the same. Without real time communication it seems a steep uphill battle. @shrugs@

PS: Yes, I've become more active in ball carrying etc but most times it feels like there is no support. Nobody gets ahead of me for pass opportunities, Few if any heals, Sorcs just blasting away instead of advancing and pulling me forward, etc. It's really just solidifying my resolve to @Somehow@ find a decent guild. Without server forums...sigh lol.

It's normal. Just bad games and good games. I frequently queue solo and top the chart nearly all the time. However, i can't really win the game by myself even with all the numbers I pulled. One thing I can suggest is to bind target's target and target nearby friendly for a fast switch guard. My average with parakeet is about 250k damage/50k protection 10-12 medals.

PS: I switch guard constantly and fast depending on who's getting attacked, their HP, and number of enemies. There's no point of guarding someone not taking damage even if it's your healbot. Also, cancel your guard when you and your guarded target get bombarded by aoe.

Edited by Trungalung