Need HELP ! Got new GPU - No FPS increase.

Shredbull

As the title says, I got a new graphics card today, costed me about 350$, just for SWTOR.

Installed the card correctly, installed the CD

Started SWTOR - Same ****** fps in the fleet and warzones. 15 fps in crowded areas

The card I got is : MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

Now I am a huge noob with things like this, so I need some help on how to tweak this thing to perfection. It is also overclockable but idk how to do that

I probably also need the newest drivers but no idea on where to get those

Any help at all is very much appreciated :)

What are the rest of your specs and what was your previous card? Performance isn't only linked to your GPU, there are many other factors to take into consideration.

There is also an issue where some people are suffering from low FPS on rigs that should not be suffering. This is currently being investigation by the devs.

Edited by Mandrax

I currently have 4 gb of dd3 ram (I bought 16 gb but my current motherboard doesnt support those sticks apparantly >:( ) I have a dual core amd 3.00 ghz, will be upgraded to i7 2600k next month, togheter with motherboard.

I thought the fps would slightly increase but it did not increase AT ALL. I am very dissapointed :(

As the title says, I got a new graphics card today, costed me about 350$, just for SWTOR.

Installed the card correctly, installed the CD

Started SWTOR - Same ****** fps in the fleet and warzones. 15 fps in crowded areas

The card I got is : MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC

Now I am a huge noob with things like this, so I need some help on how to tweak this thing to perfection. It is also overclockable but idk how to do that

I probably also need the newest drivers but no idea on where to get those

Any help at all is very much appreciated :)

With my HD 6950 i can switch a switch and download something to turn it into a 6970 wich is ALOT better. I wonder if that card you have has the switch.

I currently have 4 gb of dd3 ram (I bought 16 gb but my current motherboard doesnt support those sticks apparantly >:( ) I have a dual core amd 3.00 ghz, will be upgraded to i7 2600k next month, togheter with motherboard.

I thought the fps would slightly increase but it did not increase AT ALL. I am very dissapointed :(

the problem is your cpu. wait for your i7 and the game will run better. more ram will also help.

Edited by Ameros

Yes my gpu is also unlockable to a 6970 but idk how to do that...

And as for my question , I know a better cpu will help, and ram, but also need a new motherboard and case for that , so will be saving up for closely 1000$ to get all of that

I asked how to bring my card to its full potential... idk how to do this maybe I have something disabled in settings idk...

Edit : What is bottleneck(ed) ?

Edited by Shredbull

your cpu and mob0 are bottle necking your gpu. I bet your board is ddr2 or u bought a faster ddr3 then your board can handle.

Some people may agree with me or not. But i think is AMD is just as good as intel, and ALOT cheaper.

And as for my question , I know a better cpu will help, and ram, but also need a new motherboard and case for that , so will be saving up for closely 1000$ to get all of that

I asked how to bring my card to its full potential... idk how to do this maybe I have something disabled in settings idk...

You have an old CPU and a new GPU. Your GPU wants to work at a certain speed yet your CPU cannot process quickly enough, therefore it's bottlenecking (i.e the information is arriving at the CPU faster than it can process it). As a result you don't get the performance increase you would like because your GPU cannot work faster than the CPU allows.

Edited by Mandrax

I laugh because this game is suppose to run smoothly on computers, but the only thing people keep saying is that you need an i7 for the game to run correctly. I think the game is not designed correctly as it states on the box.

Plus people with i7 cpu's also receive the same drop in frame-rates as a person with a core2duo so that is not the problem (will it help maybe). The people i have seen run the game with no problems are mostly people with sli card setups but i think with the bugs and bad performances from the game is the bottleneck.

i think that in most mmo's the Ram and CPU really are the things that work hard all the time.

My ram is running at 55% and cpu at 30% when i play swtor and i have an avarege of 60 FPS in both city's and warzone's. Open world i go around 100-110.

And yes for gaming , i really dont think you will notice a big difference between AMD and intel , though with more demanding stuff Intel probably be better ( video and music editting etc )

( i have an ati 5670 1g and 8 gig ram and a phenom x4 @3.2 )

Edited by DarthQube

TBH its a ****** game engine and lack of optimization that are bottleneck.

I have i7 2600k, 8Gb RAM, Gainward GeForce GTX580 Phantom and guess what? 10-15 FPS in crowded fleet station.

Any other genius advices? Maybe i should buy 2xGTX590 and put them to SLI to play SWTOR with ****** ancient engine?

Ah I see, well I guess I will need to upgrade my motherboard / cpu next :)

It isnt THAT expensive, 275 euro for the cpu and 175 for the motherboard I want... :)

I think I am starting to understand things more and more... you can have a great gpu but if your cpu cant process the info fast enough it doesnt matter anyway :D

In about a week this guy will be raging in the CS forums because his "high end" machine can't play swtor and the hero engine sucks.

Ah I see, well I guess I will need to upgrade my motherboard / cpu next :)

It isnt THAT expensive, 275 euro for the cpu and 175 for the motherboard I want... :)

I think I am starting to understand things more and more... you can have a great gpu but if your cpu cant process the info fast enough it doesnt matter anyway :D

One thing that could cause an additional expense is your version of Windows. If you don't have a full retail version of your operating system, when you change your motherboard you invalidate your license and will have to buy a new copy of Windows to get a new license.

If you have a full retail version (not OEM) then you'll be ok.

TBH its a ****** game engine and lack of optimization that are bottleneck.

I have i7 2600k, 8Gb RAM, Gainward GeForce GTX580 Phantom and guess what? 10-15 FPS in crowded fleet station.

Any other genius advices? Maybe i should buy 2xGTX590 and put them to SLI to play SWTOR with ****** ancient engine?

I have a 965BE amd 4gb ram and a GTX480 and get 30-40fps in a crowded station.

in windows 7 launch cmd.exe as admin.

then run "taskmgr"

go to the process's tab.

Look for the 2 swtor.exe process's and right click the one taking the most memory in my case 1.5gb and set priority to high.

that doubled my fps on my machine your results may vary but worth a try. However that was the only thing that has helped my FPS at all.