Hunker Down

Vertrel

I was thinking about abilities I don't click very often. Hunker down is one of them. It is pretty cool (and I love the animation) but, in a lot of cases it's just a waste of a GCD. It seems whenever, I wish I had it up, I didn't bother. This is true in both pvp and pve, when I'm trying to get to doing damage as fast as possible. When I do have it up, it's harder to tell if it's being used or not obviously.

I think since a lot of people complain about sharpshooters being stationary, a talent that lets this auto trigger, or has a chance to auto trigger when you go into cover would be awesome. I'd happily pay 2 points to do it, I'd get more use out of the skill, and it'd make having to be stationary a little less painless for a gunslinger since you could get situated faster and it's harder to interrupt your stuff right off the bat.

I'm enjoying gunslinger, this isn't really a complaint, I'd just like to get more use out of skills that are specific to what I'm doing. IE taking cover a lot.

I was thinking about abilities I don't click very often. Hunker down is one of them. It is pretty cool (and I love the animation) but, in a lot of cases it's just a waste of a GCD. It seems whenever, I wish I had it up, I didn't bother. This is true in both pvp and pve, when I'm trying to get to doing damage as fast as possible. When I do have it up, it's harder to tell if it's being used or not obviously.

I think since a lot of people complain about sharpshooters being stationary, a talent that lets this auto trigger, or has a chance to auto trigger when you go into cover would be awesome. I'd happily pay 2 points to do it, I'd get more use out of the skill, and it'd make having to be stationary a little less painless for a gunslinger since you could get situated faster and it's harder to interrupt your stuff right off the bat.

I'm enjoying gunslinger, this isn't really a complaint, I'd just like to get more use out of skills that are specific to what I'm doing. IE taking cover a lot.

Hunker down is awesome in every way. I didn't find myself using it religiously until level 40 or so, when mobs really started to hit me hard.

It provides a defense bonus that goes unstated in the tooltip, all while making you immune to CC and interrupts. As for being tied to cover, I think that's fine. You won't really notice how good it is until you PvP at 50 or run some hardmodes, but it's definitely one of those skills that blooms at late-game; which isn't to say it's not good for leveling up, there just aren't many instances where I can remember absolutely needing to use it, which is what I think you're frustrated about.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but just know that you'll need to use it for the defense/interrupt bonus sooner than later, and it absolutely shines in PvP. It's always fun popping it on the bridge in Voidstar and watching people swarm and try to knock you off - too bad you're immune and with one Pulse Detonator, half their team is dead. (My personal best is 5. :D)

This is a must-use skill, particularly in PvP and some flashpoints. In PvP it prevents you from the 3-shot death by Operative if you know there's one stealthing around (or delays it, at least). It also allows you to sit and deal massive damage for a brief time if things are really hairy and you've gotten yourself too close to the melee fighters.

In flashpoints, I've found it can be particularly effective against bosses that have an ability that pulls you and your party members toward it to do massive AOE damage. If the boss in uninterruptable, just pop Hunker Down and keep firing while your teammates get sucked in. As squishy as Slingers are, this has really helped my group out significantly by reducing my need for healing and allowing me to continue damaging the boss.

tl;dr: Use Hunker Down

I just wish it didn't have such a blatantly obvious graphic. Its really easy for an OPerative to see when I use it and wait 20 seconds if I am defending a point in civil war or Voidstar. Sometimes even if you see them and hit it, it'll go up but that stun will still apply and knock you out of cover. Its really annoying.

My one request for Hunker Down would be that if you're not in cover and you hit it that it would automatially drop you into cover with hunker down. Sometimes you see a sith looking your way and with ability lag you can't drop into cover and hit hunker down before getting CC'd or something.