The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rotations help!

ObliqueZombie

Hey guys, I'm a level 24 Powertech, and I've been really enjoying it. I had an Assassin, but something about this class just... clicks.

Anyway, I rolled a Powertech (obviously), and after I got Fire Sweep, I think I have waaay too many combat skills.

For DPS/Aggro's sake, what skills should I use, what skills should I use only sometimes, and what skills should I ditch entirely?

Thanks for any and all help!

First, is this for PvP or PvE?

For PvE my rotation heavily involves an opening of Death from Above, followed by a explo-dart and then flame thrower. then I begin targeting specific enemies. Flame Sweep is pretty much worthless unless you are tanking. The damage is very low for the heat it generates

Once you are up close and personal with mobs I make the determination of how long the battle will last. Generally if the mob I'm fighting is under about 2500 hp I just lay right in with my Flame Burst > Rocket Punch > Rail shot combo which is normally good for at least 1500 - 2k damage, then finish them off with either another flame or a blaster shot. then move on to the next.

If Mako is stunning people or they are a small/medium mob the shoulder slam is helpful too.

I never use flame sweep unless I'm bored and surrounded by low level mobs, I don't even have that starting rocket on my rotation anywhere

For PvP I rarely use any attacks that force me to stand still, I will use unload if the bad guy is running away and I'm at max heat but for the most part I rely heavily on explo-dart (use it whenever its avail), flame burst/Rocket/rail combo and death from above whenever its off cooldown

As soon as you stand still you are toast, keep moving and using your fast attacks as quickly as possible. Flame burst and then rail, use quell and electro to stop attacks with time and use grapple to pull ranged guys in closer or dump them in the sludge/fire

Good point. I'm actually Shield Tech at the moment. Been considering trying Pyro, but so far ST is all I know.

I'm afraid I'm no expert on Shield Tech. Chainsawsamuri is probably the guy to ask, although specifying which variation of Shield Tech you are running would also be helpful.

I suspect it looks something like Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch, though.

Maybe with some Rocket Punches sprinkled in here and there.

I'm afraid I'm no expert on Shield Tech. Chainsawsamuri is probably the guy to ask, although specifying which variation of Shield Tech you are running would also be helpful.

I suspect it looks something like Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch - Rocket Punch, though.

Maybe with some Rocket Punches sprinkled in here and there.

Occasionally some Flame Bursts but it looks like you've got the jist.

I'm assuming you want a Tanking rotation or for leveling?

Kind of the problem with "rotation" thinking in this game is that it is pretty dynamic. Mob pulls can be extremely different and have to be sort of assessed on the fly.

I can't really help with hotkey layouts, I use a setup which includes a device that was discontinued close to 4 years ago (seriously the gamepad I use might as well be the Holy Grail of gamepads) so when people talk hotkeys and layouts it is like I'm from another planet or something. I'll see if I can dig out something Taugrim posted on his blog for folks with regular keyboards.

Edit: Here we go. Plenty of mere mortals who don't have access to the Divine +5 Vorpal Gamepad of Slaying like I do say this sort of layout helped a lot. It even has a handy video reference.

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

Edited by chainsawsamurai

Oh and I can't really go into specifics for rotations right now, again it is pretty dynamic anyway so it would really be more appropriate for me to go into everything I routinely use and when/why I use it.

But I'm on the PTR right now leveling up a character to test some mitigation findings and see if it is consistent there (Premonition: it is, and everyone saying otherwise is grossly misinformed). Just tabbed out while my GF is eating.