Surge Question

shawnsum

Sup guys..Someone posted it somewhere in the forums but I can't remember which thread it was so I will just ask..

Someone mentioned that once you hit a certain number with your surge it begins to not benefit you. I am going to post this screen shot and would like some feedback. What number should i be shooting for?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x238/shawnsum/Screenshot_2012-01-11_19_27_08_143425.jpg

I believe that number is guesstimated to be around 560 Surge, or ~99% bonus damage.

To give you an idea about how high that is, at level 50, using the most commonly available (read: not seemingly impossible to find) enhancements in moddable gear (armoring and mods don't offer Surge) you would need 14 pieces of moddable armor to hit that number... and even as Sentinels, we only have 7 (one more than most classes, thanks to dual sabers.) With player crafted items, it is doable with roughly 9 pieces of gear of a potential 10 (implants and earpieces being added to the mix this time.)

If you want to cap Surge, you've got to work for it.

Edited by Fascion

Interesting. Not sure if I want to cap it out but I am working some surge enhancements into my gear.

thanks for the advice.

Yea, I see by the screenshot you at 50 and @ Illum.

I imagine you've already figured this out, but you can do the Heroic 2+ daily there for a 22 "Battle" enhancement (the very one I referenced in my first reply.) A week later, you are golden for a complete set.

For us Sents, if one were to 'luck' into a half dozen Unassembled Champion Helm or Gloves, it wouldn't be such a bad thing. In them you can find a 23 (24?) version of the same enhancement (also referenced as the seemingly impossible one.)

Mod-wise, Belsavis offers a 22 "Potent" for +crit (and the aforementioned helm/gloves for 23/34?)

Edited by Fascion

Sup guys..Someone posted it somewhere in the forums but I can't remember which thread it was so I will just ask..

Someone mentioned that once you hit a certain number with your surge it begins to not benefit you. I am going to post this screen shot and would like some feedback. What number should i be shooting for?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x238/shawnsum/Screenshot_2012-01-11_19_27_08_143425.jpg

I think you're referring to MBrikhofer research on the stats here (3rd post on the page). The basis being that in all three tress we get a 30% bonus to critical strike damage of the trees main damage which basically gives us a lot of surge for some talent points.

Surge scales logarithmically meaning the more surge you add, the less and less effective each additional point becomes (math). It is worth noting that the 30% from talents seems to stack with your surge points.

There is still a lot of math and testing to be done for an optimal number but the point MBrikhofer (and I share his conclusion) makes is that, while useful, surge is not something you should plan your entire itemization around.

Edited by Maefly