The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank Vanguard shutting down casters in pvp guide

smallvylle

This is a guide to show you how you are going to help your team win by shutting down opposition's healer and force lightning I-win button. There are two guides, 1 basic and 1 more advanced for those who can multitask better. Remember, using this guide, you will not be able to dps very much, but that's not your role as a tank anyway. So hear me out...

Disclaimer:

This guide only applies to tank vanguard, other trees don't offer enough survivability to withstand the wraith of enemy sorcs and his teammates, and believe me, by the time you are done with them, they will hate you.

Basic Guide:

Four skills you will need:

1. Riot Strike: the most important skill in shutting down a sorc or healer.

2. Cryo Grenade: pew pew (points in containment tactics for reduced cd)

3. Harpoon: gotta love it. (put skill points in defensive measures for the 3 sec immobilization)

4. Storm: strongly recommended. it's on a 15s CD, very useful to close gap and interupt.

For the basic guide, the followings are what you need to do:

1. buff up your teammates.

2. go with your group, meaning not left or right in alderaan, but mid. and not with the stealthies in void star.

3.find enemy lv 50 sorc, you can tell by 1 lightsabre funky looking coward that always sits behind his teammates hitting the I-win button over and over. NO MORE!

4. get in range (10-25m). don't do anything until you see his cast bar is filling up, storm him and interrupt his casting.

5. little derp is now going to push you away, the good ones anyway. don't worry, go after him.

6. now he may or may not switch target at this time. if he doesn't, good. go after him. his casting bar is filling again? riot strike him if you are within 4m. if not cryo grenade his butt.

7.keep walking up to him. watch his resolve bar, know that if it's white by now, your cc's won't work. but riot strike still will. stock strike that little chicken, followed by HIB. Don't use any other skills because of the animation and global cool down. just stay close and watch him. he's casting again? riot strike his face!

8. he's gonna run away from you again. is he using force speed? pull the coward back with harpoon. (again, watch for resolve bar). or simply run after him.

NOTE: if you put a point in neural overload, you can slow his movement with ion cell (stokestrike triggers it, and ion pulse sometimes), spammable.

9. repeat what you've been doing, namely, watch his next move, only stoke strike him followed by HIB. look for that blue casting bar, then riot stike him, cryo grenade him, harpoon his bottom back to you. storm him, and gun his head with the butt of your rifle.

what you have just accomplished is taking out the aoe dmger, healer of the opposition. you have achieved dmg reduction for your teammates, as well as preventing heals to enemy team. If your team is competent, they will have taken care of the other enemies.

Trust me, that sorc is now probably screaming on teamspeak or vent at his teammates to go after you and kill you. GOOD! you have succesfully taunted him. pop your shield relic, reactive shield, and adrenaline rush, and have your healer heal you. Let them come! stare them down with the nozzle of your rifle!

Advanced Guide:

you do the same thing here as above, namely, taking the healer/sorc out of commision, with a few other tasks on btw your interrupts.

1. put guard on your healer. situationally speaking, you should watch to see who is getting focused, but believe me, you will be plenty busy, so the easiest way is to guard your healer.

2. Neural jolt an assassin or agent, or any dps really, before going after your sorc, this should reduce that person's dmg by 30%.

3. after riot striking him, throw a sonic round at a group of enemies, reducing their dmg.

4. throw a smoke grenade (if you specced it) at your own feet, and preferrablly, with a lot of allies in it too. This reduces enemy accuracy, which hels your teammates and yourself out.

5. explosive surge (spec static field for 4% dmg reduction) a grp of enemies.

6. As metioned above, ion pulse can 1. lower speed (neural overload) and 2. reduce dmg (static field). spam it on their dps.

7. ion pulse can also put a dot on the enemy with ion cell on and ion overload spec, hit that stealth before he tries to run away.

8. throw a sticky grenade on that stealth when he's about 50%, same effect as above.

9. stealth scan possible area of enemy assassins.

10. switch guard on someone who's low if your healer is fine. this should be easier once 1.1 is out because you don't have to switch guard off before putting it on another person.

Enough tasks for in btw interrupting that sorc? yes. Now you don't have to do all of them, stick to the basic guide if you have trouble multitasking. remember the rotation, remember you are not there to do dmg, you are there to mitigate dmg for your teammates, and stop those heals and force lightning!

Carry on Havoc Squaddies!

Stick it please :)

Edited by smallvylle

9/10. This is almost exactly how I play. It works on casters and everything else too. Storm is definitely not optional.

Huttball is where you will shine. Very little more satisfying than cryo in the fire, or harpoon into acid.

I dont use neural jolt often though, sonic round works very well.

Dont forget to use your Hammer shot/ion pulse combo when you r trying to kite or be mobile.

my damage numbers are usually lack luster, but you get 5 or 6 medals.

9/10. This is almost exactly how I play. It works on casters and everything else too. Storm is definitely not optional.

Huttball is where you will shine. Very little more satisfying than cryo in the fire, or harpoon into acid.

I dont use neural jolt often though, sonic round works very well.

Dont forget to use your Hammer shot/ion pulse combo when you r trying to kite or be mobile.

my damage numbers are usually lack luster, but you get 5 or 6 medals.

I mentioned at around lv30 ish, storm is optional because you don't have a lot of points yet. But it is definitely a nice skill to have. later on, spec storm!!!

First thing was wrong when you said you won't have high dps... should go look at Yojack's page.

Another note, no mention of taunt skills at for protection. Only using stock strike and HIB? Riot Strike isn't on a 1 second cooldown, what are you doing between those 15 seconds? Staring contest? You should be ion pulsing him, throwing stickes, or even motoring or ion pulsing.

This guide makes sense to interrupt a sorc's spells, but far more is required to "shut down" casters.

I agree with above 2/10

8. he's gonna run away from you again. is he using force speed? pull the coward back with harpoon. (again, watch for resolve bar). or simply run after him.

NOTE: if you put a point in neural overload, you can slow his movement with ion pulse, spammable.

err ion pulse does not always trigger ion cells slow (neural overload). the only relyable 100% trigger for neural overload is stockstrike.

am i missing something here ?

err ion pulse does not always trigger ion cells slow (neural overload). the only relyable 100% trigger for neural overload is stockstrike.

am i missing something here ?

you are right, i misspoke, stockstrike will trigger ion cell for sure, then the slow. thanks.