The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Questions from a long time Tank spec

punkniner

So I have been a tank spec (shield) vanguard since beta, and I always loved it. I absolutely love how survivable I can be. My problem is, after hitting 50 and getting several pieces of Champion PVP gear, i still find that my DPS just isn't good enough. I cannot DPS down a healer to save my life. The DPS just isn't there; and given that there are seldom any healers, being a tank ATM doesn't make sense (Taking damage for someone else, just to die 5 seconds before they do, is NOT a winning strategy IMO, especially in PVP).

What I am looking for is a good "Middle-of-the-Road" spec, that has decent damage mitigation, but can do enough damage to kill people when needed. Does anyone have any suggestions. My only stipulation is that I would like to still use ION cell so my Champion shield gen is not wasted.

So I have been a tank spec (shield) vanguard since beta, and I always loved it. I absolutely love how survivable I can be. My problem is, after hitting 50 and getting several pieces of Champion PVP gear, i still find that my DPS just isn't good enough. I cannot DPS down a healer to save my life. The DPS just isn't there; and given that there are seldom any healers, being a tank ATM doesn't make sense (Taking damage for someone else, just to die 5 seconds before they do, is NOT a winning strategy IMO, especially in PVP).

What I am looking for is a good "Middle-of-the-Road" spec, that has decent damage mitigation, but can do enough damage to kill people when needed. Does anyone have any suggestions. My only stipulation is that I would like to still use ION cell so my Champion shield gen is not wasted.

I'd like to know that same thing. I've been leveling as shield spec for awhile, currently lvl 21, and while in PVE i can basically stand there and blast away with no fear of dying, i've noticed that I do way less damage than other classes.

i know the Tanks roll is less melee/assault, but I've been wondering about if there is a balance in there somewhere between shield and assault.

21/2/18 or 23/0/18: Shield to Storm, making sure to pick up Static Shield and Shield Cycler; either Static Surge or 2 points in Focused Impact; Assault up to Ionic Accelerator awith High Friction Bolts.

are there any skills you skip in those trees? And you don't max out along the way?

was also wondering do you build shield first and then assault, or split points evenly between the two along the way..

I was thinking of giving this a try first...

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801RRrrdorogZMsr0o.1

If after trying that, I still don't feel I have enough DPS, I may drop the points in counterattack and try to boost damages for Shockstrike and Gut. I find in most situations, the skills I use the most are Shockstrike, Hammer shot (for building ammo), and Explosive surge (when aoe'ing a group of enemies up close). I also am guessing that my ION cell triggers are causing around 10-15% of my total damage, as I have it proccing a lot and have it boosted.

I can generally parse 140k total in a WZ, with 20-40k defense. I would rather parse up to 200k and be able to contribute some serious damage numbers (plus I solo a lot, and absorbing damage does me no good in that situation, as most of the time I solo pvp, I am stunlocked to death anyways with the 129239239 stuns every other class gets on a 2 second timer).

I am still looking for possibilities.

tactics kills healers with riot strike (interrupt with 2s less cooldown for you) + steady damage

31 assault kills healers with assault plastique burst (assault plastique -> ion pulse -> hib -> stun or similar).

parakeet & similar shield builds you use guard+storm to work as a team to kill them all.

pick your poison..

Edited by ururururu

I will play with some specs tonight and keep this post updated on what I find.

if you like burst go assault. warning : ammo goes fast in this spec. otoh 10k crits C-C-C-COMBO...

if you like being able to hit any ability anytime, not worry about ammo, and kite around go tactics.

both specs will probably take a day or two of practice to figure out how to kill optimally.

Edited by ururururu