The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thoughts on our trees

Jergo

Hey guys!

What I'm about to say is not at all a judgement on what someone has chosen to do, and by no means am I trying to come across as a master of our class, PT, our trees, SWTOR as a whole, etc. Far from it.

So with that said, I'm 49, about to hit 50. As I've said in other posts recently, I've been spending a lot of time figuring out what I want to run as a final build, especially before I start blowing money/commendations on end-game gear and such.

I started out from level 10 through 47 maxing out Adv. Proto., and spilling over into shield tech a bit until I respec'd a few days ago into x/x/31 Pyro. What I found was, when comparing AP and Pyro, is that AP is incredibly lackluster in DPS, and has nothing in the way of Shield Tank-type stuff (obviously), and that Pyro added a noticeable hunk of DPS and performance improvement in PvP. But honestly, I don't think the Pyro performance is worth being, in my opinion, the "squishiest" of the BH PT trees.

Going to respec tonight to a Shield Tech-heavy build and check out the tank side of things tonight.

Thoughts?

Going to respec tonight to a Shield Tech-heavy build and check out the tank side of things tonight.

Thoughts?

Don't go deeper than Jet Charge and don't bother stacking defenses.

Read this then proceed:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=156809

Adv Proto sucks. It has a lot of loyal followers, and I really want to like it, but it needs work compared to Pyro.

Shieldtech has an excessive reliance on the Shielding mechanism, which we're finding isn't all it is cracked up to be. Jury is out on PvE, but in PvP spec is severely hampered compared to other Tank specs because it relies on Shielding for Resource management and offensive power. ST could use some work too.

The most functional options I've found for this class so far are a Tank/DPS hybrid spec of some sort or full Pyro. Both types stacking DPS gear.

Apparently Adv Proto with some points in the low tiers of ST and Ion is worth trying, but I haven't given it a shot yet since I'm waiting on my Respec costs to reset (They've been capped out for a bit because I've been testing so many damn specs).

Hey guys!

What I'm about to say is not at all a judgement on what someone has chosen to do, and by no means am I trying to come across as a master of our class, PT, our trees, SWTOR as a whole, etc. Far from it.

So with that said, I'm 49, about to hit 50. As I've said in other posts recently, I've been spending a lot of time figuring out what I want to run as a final build, especially before I start blowing money/commendations on end-game gear and such.

I started out from level 10 through 47 maxing out Adv. Proto., and spilling over into shield tech a bit until I respec'd a few days ago into x/x/31 Pyro. What I found was, when comparing AP and Pyro, is that AP is incredibly lackluster in DPS, and has nothing in the way of Shield Tank-type stuff (obviously), and that Pyro added a noticeable hunk of DPS and performance improvement in PvP. But honestly, I don't think the Pyro performance is worth being, in my opinion, the "squishiest" of the BH PT trees.

Thoughts?

You pretty much figured it out.

Shield: Insane survivability / mobility. Mediocre DPS

Advanced Prototype: Decent survivability / Insane utility. Decent DPS

Pyrotech: Mediocre survivability / Decent utility. INsane DPS

In PVP, as Shield-Tech, so I've heard, if you get a pocket healer running with you, you are nearly unkillable.

Iv been running shield tech from 1-50. I have a full set of champion tanking gear, and a friend list full of healers to queue with. People have started quitting huttball when they see me on the other team. I can take focus fire and survive for long periods from multiple players. My favourite tactic is to wait on the platform before their fires with my group, farm their entire team then waltz across when my resolve bar is full.

By the time im at the top of the goal ramp someone is likely to have spawned, so a quick jet charge takes me right to the goal. I might only be doing 100k damage a match, but im pretty sure im taking about 10 times that. Shield tech for life!

currently running a 27/12/2 build

Edited by Cycrowave

So the logical presumption is they left because of terror of you specifically, as opposed to the other 7,231,785 other possible reasons they might have left?

My apologies for bragging, it just kinda happened. However, i'm currently enjoying the server only queues because you see the same people, make friends easily and can build a reputation not possible on an anonymous battle field.

My apologies for bragging, it just kinda happened. However, i'm currently enjoying the server only queues because you see the same people, make friends easily and can build a reputation not possible on an anonymous battle field.

Perhaps the biggest reason why I'm not an advocate of cross-server queues. Seeing familiar faces in PvP is incredibly enjoyable.

Don't worry about the bragging, I was just giving you a hard time.

Perhaps the biggest reason why I'm not an advocate of cross-server queues. Seeing familiar faces in PvP is incredibly enjoyable.

Don't worry about the bragging, I was just giving you a hard time.

Indeed. And also with same-faction warzones available there will never be a need for cross-server queues because queue times will always be short. If there aren't enough enemies from the opposing faction in the queue it will simply give you a same-faction warzone. Awesome system I must say!

Indeed. And also with same-faction warzones available there will never be a need for cross-server queues because queue times will always be short. If there aren't enough enemies from the opposing faction in the queue it will simply give you a same-faction warzone. Awesome system I must say!

Awesome system IF every same faction warzone wasnt huttball.

But as it stands now, if your imperial. Expect near all wz's you enter to be imp vs imp huttball.

Awesome system IF every same faction warzone wasnt huttball.

But as it stands now, if your imperial. Expect near all wz's you enter to be imp vs imp huttball.

Depends on your server I guess. I have maybe 1 out of 5 or even less games being Hutball as an Imp. Also Bioware already said they will add more same faction warzones soon.

Back to the OP... what one guy said is correct, get up to jet charge, do 3 points into AP for rail shots ignoring 60% of enemy's armor, the rest in pyrotech and make sure you egt the ohter 30% armor reduction for rail shots. Make sure you have the Shield tree skill of ion blasters being 100% triggered by every rocket punch and you can get high dps while still having really good tanking ability.

10% more shield chance sounds good on paper for the tank tree, but it amounts to very little since it doesn't protect against elemental or internal damage and you have to take shield absorption rate times that 10% to get your average damage reduction for spending 5 skill points is from 2.5-4% and only on non-elemental and non-internal damage.