The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Retractable Blade or Thermal Detonator?

Bajak

I'm a Powertech Pyro, and spec'd for PvP. And I'm torn between going full pyro tree for TD, or going more hybrid for RB.

I feel like RB has more functionality in this build, given that it is another opportunity for RS, and it can keep people from capping objectives, although it does a bit less as far as damage. These are the two builds I would choose between.

w/ Thermal Detonator:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsZcGrrzGGMs.1

w/ Retractable Blade:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMMoZcGrrzhhMc.1

Any advice is appreciated

Same as you I'm powertech pyro spec. TD does about 50% more damage than explosive dart but without the aoe effect. So hit just 1 other person with your explosive dart and you've outdamaged TD anyway, even if it crits with firebug. Not getting TD means you can also edge out the 2 points in energy rebouncer as you have done in your RB spec, which is much better imo, since they go into flameburst, which I use tons in PVP.

So I vote RB spec if I had to choose between both. Currently I am playing a similar sort of spec with 3 points into intimidation instead of RB + advanced tools. Not saying its better though.

Thanks for the input. I definately don't use Explo-dart as much as I should, but your observations there were good.

I bet your flame burst does pretty nice damage with intimidation and hot iron. I would rather have the extra dot for defending objectives, burning down enemies quicker, and more rails. plus i use grapple so much, esspecially in huttball, that they aren't points wasted just to get RB.

I tried the hybrid, and my advice is to not do that. Go with thermal detonator. My reasoning is that the whole point of pyro is to keep rail shot off cooldown. With explosive dart and retractable blade, heat management gets a bit messy, and I found I was getting less rail shots out.

Well I play a merc so I don't really have great perspective on your build, but I just switched to pyro from arsenal for the first time and wooooooow do I love thermal detonator. I have Surge stacked to 80% and I have gotten some 4k+ crits with it (pvp), and I usually try to have that hit at the same time as a power shot or rail... blammy!!!