Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

I'm not convinced by it. I like it in the class quests to some extent, and I like the detailed story line- but can I deal with listening to all the sidequests more than once, to get an alt to max level? Probably not.

I'd rather spend time playing the game than having conversations, to be honest- especially as the conversations have no real outcomes- if you had options to persude people to do stuff in order to skip part of a quest, it might feel more worthwhile.

Also, on some of the sidequests, where you have like 8 line of dialogue just to get "please can you find 8 of these for me"- I don't even find it engaging, I just find it silly. In real life, in a warzone, I feel like it would go more like "I need X" and then you'd say "ok" rather than them telling you their whole life story, and it not even being relevant. I feel like if they were going to put this much effort into VOs, they could at least have script writers.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely

My first 50 i listened to everything....my 1st alt i kinda listened. By my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th 7th and 8th alt i was capt. space bar.

Then i asked myself. "why i am making so making alts?"

OH right because its "my fault" there is very little endgame. :rolleyes:

My first 50 i listened to everything....my 1st alt i kinda listened. By my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th 7th and 8th alt i was capt. space bar.

Then i asked myself. "why i am making so making alts?"

OH right because its "my fault" there is very little endgame. :rolleyes:

If you've gotten to 50, and have 8 alts, you have far too much time on your hands. Even now the average player hasn't reached 50.

Edited by Jediwran

I am pretty torn on this. I really like the fact that all of my quests are voice acted, and frankly it makes the typically abysmal experience of leveling to cap in an MMO quiet a bit more fun.

At the same time, I have noticed areas of the game that are disappointingly unpolished, and if things like ability delay, or the lack of more end game features like a gear appearance slot are what they sacrificed, I might wish they hadn't voice acted all of them.

But let's be realistic, there would be an even more active population asking why Bioware didn't extend voice acting beyond main quest lines if that is the route they chose. Customers only have hindsight, no foresight.

Its an issue of preference, much of the stuff people regularly complain about on the boards is. For some (I'm not going to try to theorize on most or any other made up data nonsense) the voice overs are a great aspect of the game that makes it genuinely enjoyable. SWTOR is probably the only game that I've ever paid this much attention to the story in. Typically there is no point in even reading quest notes as they're ultimately irrelevant and little effort seems to be put into them. What puzzles me is just what people who hate storytelling/RPGs actually find interesting in this game? I am having a blast playing, but if one looks at it as just another MMO with a light saber skin, I don't really see what there is to enjoy about it.

TLDR; If you hate the voice overs, skip them. Just realize that not everyone has the same opinion as you.

Most players do not skip the cut-scenes. And saying it a million times over isn't going to make it true. Start with a premise of fact, before you start your arguments.

Unless I've missed the figures that show out of 100% players who's pressing spacebar and who isn't, then isn't this a case of pot, kettle, black?

If you've gotten to 50, and have 8 alts, you have far too much time on your hands. Even now the average player hasn't reached 50.

On vacation. i get 8 weeks per year and only used 4 of them. How many weeks does your job pay for?

Nice shot at an insult though :D

On vacation. i get 8 weeks per year and only used 4 of them. How many weeks does your job pay for?

Nice shot at an insult though :D

Even if you're on vacation, it would take a lot of time to get to 50 (Less you space-barred through everything, and skipped tons of quests). I don't care that you get 8 weeks of vacation I really don't. People who get 8 weeks of vacation shouldn't be whining about how quickly they got to 50.

Edited by Jediwran

Unless I've missed the figures that show out of 100% players who's pressing spacebar and who isn't, then isn't this a case of pot, kettle, black?

Well, fantasizing most players spacebar doesn't help his argument. I could have swarn I saw a post in the past from a dev stating most players do not skip the dialogue. Either way, it's not bright to assume people come to a story-driven MMO and skip most of the content.

So, since the cut scenes are just talking heads and don't really add anything of value, that would mean it IS just a WOW clone. Sounds about right.

That's subjective. To a lot of people it does add value. Otherwise there wouldn't be fans of games like KOTOR, Dragon Age, or Witcher. I personally, prefer the VO and even the illusion of choice, over walls of text any day.

Edited by Jediwran

go play WoW and get bored sithless (since I can't say *****) reading long quest texts that send you to X location to kill Y things until you realize it was actually supposed to go to Z place first, but you didn't understand because the wall of text crited your eyes.

but then again, if you say that you press random numbers and lose time on it, then I simply have no sympathy for you. if playing a mmoRPG gets you bored about reading/hearing the storyline, then maybe RPG's are not the games you should be playing. I'm not saying you need to stop, you're free to play whatever you want, but complaining about that is as bad as the people that go to Rp/pvp servers and rant about how rp'ers/pvp'ers are horrible.

yes the game has quite some bugs, and some need urgent fixing but that's what happens when a massive game gets out. the voice acting was probably expensive, but it's worth every single penny. then again, if you don't care about the storyline - ic character progression, you will never understand it.

that said, have fun playing swtor or whatever you choose.

We don't need it, but it adds another depth to gameplay. A few friends of mine who are notorious "clickers" in other MMOs (ie they like to click through quests to get the objective) find themselves reading and listening to the stories and problems of these people (NPCs) versus pressing spacebar to skip it all. It's funny because usually I'm the last one to click because I like to read through the quest, and now I find that my friends get annoyed because the caption wasn't long enough or they didn't completely catch what the NPC said, etc. I find that they are more involved with the quests and don't see them as boring kill missions anymore. In fact, when I ask what our objective is in game, the response is usually "Oh we have to get this for this guy because his wife is dying and we can't let her suffer etc". It's hysterical to me to even get the reasoning behind the objective from my friends! I love it! Finally, they're more engrossed with the story than I am! <3

In general, people are lazy, we don't want to bother reading stuff in this matrix age. BioWare using voice acting has launched a game that gives more immersion in their handling of quests. So, no, we don't need it; but it is absolutely wonderful and I would hate for it to go the way of EQ2 where they only had voice acting at launch, and rarely had it again in the later expansions.

IMO the voice acting and cut scenes really set this game apart and make it a new standard in MMORPG gaming. The voice actors are awesome! Honestly, they have such perfect voices for the character they play.

Remember the over-weight Lieutenant on The Esseles, the guy even sounds fat :)

Truly makes this game a great experience. And hey, if it's not your thing, just hit spacebar.

Edited by Gilbara

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.