The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP rewards usable for Pve?

Leafroy

Hi. Having fallen short against players using pvp weaponry in Rift and even in WoW for short times.. I wish to know if there is going to be such an incident in SWTOR pvp..

For example in rift the highest current available PVP PURCHASED weaponry was missing 'hit' but the dps was equivvilant to tier 2 raid (hammerknel) purple drops. making the pvp weaponry (available a long time before the raid was even open) a 'must have' for any hardcore top end raider..

I wish to know preferably from a Dev/gm if you can confirm this, as this will form a part of my decision making on what type of realm etc and levelling approach i take.

i understand from some early posts that you are following the valor process used in wow and also rift. (sadly) The system designed for whiners who want to be able to beat everything or have a chance to...

Looking for confirmation if you can please..

Thank you in advance.

/leafy

Edited by Leafroy

Hmm I don't know details, but in the beta, I heard that the PVP gear was nearly as good as the top raid drops. Something like rating 136 for PvP vs rating 140 for nightmare operations.

The podcast I actually heard that on said that it was a problem since PvP top gear only required time, whereas the nightmare operations were actually tough to complete. They basically said rewarding grinding and accomplishment should be somewhat greater than rewarding grinding only, but currently that difference (though it exists) was not substantial enough.

Doesn't actually answer your question, but that's what I know. Hope it helps a little.

No problem. I expect that they will make same mistakes that rift did/is making. They need to keep pvp and pve as far apart as possible.

Sadly i doubt that will happen, so i guess i will have to tolerate the therapy bunch of pre school bullied's to get some gear pre raiding.

Unless im lucky enough to find a mature top end raid guild early on. (not holding my breath)

Plus you will find that the botting/grinding/account seller types will use this method to farm top gear for their characters/accounts to sell.

The choice of ''to pvp' or ''not to pvp'' should never EVER equate to a loss versus pve.. in any way, even temporary.

praying for common sense..

/fingers crossed.

The only thing that PvP gear has that makes it PvP gear is the Expertise points. It's a PvP stat and won't ever be utilized in PvE. Does that make the PvP gear worthless? Not at all, but top PvP gear won't be as good as top PvE gear in a PvP setting, and vice versa. You are looking at around a ~10% difference in quality using that comparison.

The only thing that PvP gear has that makes it PvP gear is the Expertise points. It's a PvP stat and won't ever be utilized in PvE. Does that make the PvP gear worthless? Not at all, but top PvP gear won't be as good as top PvE gear in a PvP setting, and vice versa. You are looking at around a ~10% difference in quality using that comparison.

Cool, but does that apply to every slot? or are we going to end up with the obvious weaponry issue found in every MMo in recent times.

i.e 145 dps pvp dagger with no hit but insanely high crit and expertise etc versus a 147 dps pve dagger with hit and low crit etc..

ultimately at certain stages of gearing that extra crit has higher value.

If this happens the itemset often yields a BiS item from the PvP methods.. even if it is just untill the next tier or even the next storyline raid. Just curious as i would happilly avoid pvp but i will not avoid it if i end up gimped in some format.

Heck i know they will never do it (mainly because it takes a huge set of hairy ....s) but i would love to see the day when entering any pve raid content involves any pvp items being AUTO unequipped and unequippable till you exit...

Then you can be pure pve if you wish without being at a loss to those who pvp. Visa versa.

If you want to pvp, then do it. It should never be a stopgap or gap filler or even a help toward faster pve progression..

NEVER!

Bump! Im starting to wonder if the support team's methods are 'wait and he will go away''

Hope not cause sadly i wont till i have a response. Are the pvp items/weapons especially going to be on par with top end raid standard. Please dev/gm/support respond.