Re-think when to get doc?

teamplayerx

I levelled a Jugg to 50 as tank spec using Vette (Ranged DPS, some nice aoe) pretty much exclusively after seeing how long it took to kill stuff when using a healing companion.

Sure, you're getting healed but it's taking so long to dps stuff down you're better off just taking the downtime hit after combat finishes and it feels pretty much the same with Kira so far (mid 30s, still tank specced) as a Guardian.

• 1 month later...
I agree. I use Kira exclusively unless I am looking at taking down a champion or an elite at my level (or higher). Personally, I think Doc comes at a perfect time.

I haven't got the Doc yet, but in mist of getting him. With Kira I've been kicking butt, specially being up to par with gear. I def can see the Doc being handy when fighting a Boss, thats when I have to use 'calling of the force' to defeat them.

The rate at classes get companions seems quite odd.

I played a Trooper untill lvl 50 and by Nar Shaddar you have 3 people to choose from. Smugglers get everyone by the end of Hoth but their healer is last.

So I don't know how they worked it out but it's all quite odd.

In my mind, if they added Doc in early, he wouldn't be as naturally strong as a healer. Malavai Quinn, the Sith Warrior healer, for example, joins you on Balmorra (the third planet for the Empire), and he's not the healer Doc is.

lolwut?

He's exactly the same as Doc. They have the exact same set of abilities. The only difference is that Doc uses a scattergun and Quinn uses a vibroknife.

Now, like all companions his ability suite gets larger as he levels. That means that he doesn't have as many abilities as Doc when you first get him because you are getting him roughly 13-15 levels sooner.

A level 40 Doc and level 40 Quinn are functionally identical.

I left Balmorra ages ago. I've experimented using Doc a few times, but it just makes killing things too slow, so I'm back to using Kira. As a guardian, if you feel the need to use Doc on a regular basis I think you're doing something wrong.

DPS guardian says 'sup'.

I think the developers should re-think when to get doc. I think doc should come around low 20's. Does anyone else agree? Thoughts?

Hmnnn... at this point... I think the difficulty of leveling a Jedi Knight should remain. Outside of boss fights put Doc away he's op.

I know that sounds horrible, but when you finish it, you will be greatfull for the training, and the increase in real player skill this class afords you.

Edited by VoidJustice

I don't even use Doc while questing. Mobs go down slow enough already as a tank guardian. Without Kira 20-30 would've been torture.

You do know you can get +45% damage to your AOE right? You should be able to instakill groups of normals and healers are pretty good for harder mobs.