Dot clipping and force lightning ticks

avengingavatar

I've played shadow for a few years in WoW. Prior to Cataclysm, shadow priests had to be mindful not to "clip" dots. Meaning the way to maximize dps was the make sure you let the dot end before reapplying so as not to lose the last "tick." Blizz change this in cataclysm. Does anyone know if it is possible to clip your own dots by reapplying before its duration ends in SWToR? I suppose this would apply mostly to affliction in the madness/lightning builds.

Also, it was more beneficial to end the entire channel of your mind flay rather than interrupt the cast unless you were sure you could interrupt the mind flay channel right after a "tick" of damage. Does this hold true for force lightning?

Many thanks.

I've played shadow for a few years in WoW. Prior to Cataclysm, shadow priests had to be mindful not to "clip" dots. Meaning the way to maximize dps was the make sure you let the dot end before reapplying so as not to lose the last "tick." Blizz change this in cataclysm. Does anyone know if it is possible to clip your own dots by reapplying before its duration ends in SWToR? I suppose this would apply mostly to affliction in the madness/lightning builds.

Yes, DoTs work precisely how they did in Vanilla WoW (with the exception that they can crit). They don't benefit from Alacrity, and clipping them resets the tick timer.

Edit: in reference to the above, we may not have a combat log, but we still have floating combat text. That and a stopwatch, combined with careful testing technique, is sufficient to demonstrate the mechanics.

Also, it was more beneficial to end the entire channel of your mind flay rather than interrupt the cast unless you were sure you could interrupt the mind flay channel right after a "tick" of damage. Does this hold true for force lightning?

Generally better to lose a bit of uptime than interrupt a channel.

Edited by Daellia

Depends on spec.

With a typical 0/18/23 the answer would be yes it's worthwhile to interrupt from a standpoint of raw damage. This is because your affliction(when talented) as well as crushing darkness(with wrath proc) have higher damage per cast time than your force lightning. Due to the fact force lightning has no cooldown in the build you can just resume spamming it after refreshing DoTs. There is an exception to this and that's if lightning barrage is proc'd(not a problem in full madness spec's). All this only holds true if you get the full duration of the DoTs as well, anything less and the answer can change.

Keep in mind that while interrupting may increase your raw damage output it does hurt force efficiency which in longer fights may result in DPS loss, although I doubt it will truly translate into a noticeable difference.

Yes, DoTs work precisely how they did in Vanilla WoW (with the exception that they can crit....They don't benefit from Alacrity...

Was under the impression that dots ticked faster and at a certain point would get another tick with alacrity ? ( or that the duration would just shorten )

Was under the impression that dots ticked faster and at a certain point would get another tick with alacrity ? ( or that the duration would just shorten )

Neg. We've tested this several times. DoTs do not gain benefit from Alacrity like WoW DoTs do from haste.