Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

only issue I've had so far is an ability looping on itself.

Meaning I either spammed the button too hard or.. idk what.

I shoot the ability which has a 1.5 cast time, and the castbar just loops itself with no animation of it fireing off and no damage.

If it happens more than twice then the whole toon kind of shuts down. I can click/push ability buttons , they go on CD but nothing happens. lasts 5-6 seconds until it gets back to normal.

But as for reactivity I find it quite acceptable on most abilities. Except the pushback/stuns which sometimes require a .3.4 seconds to translate into actual pushbacks/stuns

Edited by Wisz_Rethon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true. You could still read the forums and stay bitter over the game but have no voice to complain. Sad for you I know. Unless of course you... RESUB.. IRONIC.

and? my voice is not resubbing, thats all i need to say

look at this other guy, he will pay for this game even if the game was in black and white. this whole forum is filled with people who will gobble up whatever bioware craps out and say thanks. I dont know if its bioware or star wars, but its obviously not quality games that they worship

No fool. Some people are actually rational and sane and realize that software development is a complicated process. It takes time to sort things out and features get implemented over time. Some of us have alot of experience playing other MMO games at launch and realize this is the nature of things. Finally some of us just *********** like the game and while we may be bothered by some of the bugs and things that need work IT DOES NOT DETRACT FROM ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE. If that concept escapes you, I'm sorry. Maybe if you RESUB for another month you can enjoy complaining? HAR AHR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

No fool. Some people are actually rational and sane and realize that software development is a complicated process. It takes time to sort things out and features get implemented over time. Some of us have alot of experience playing other MMO games at launch and realize this is the nature of things. Finally some of us just *********** like the game and while we may be bothered by some of the bugs and things that need work IT DOES NOT DETRACT FROM ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE. If that concept escapes you, I'm sorry. Maybe if you RESUB for another month you can enjoy complaining? HAR AHR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

takes time to do what exactly? how are they going to fix this? whats the problem causing this? oh thats right, they havent even explained it. and no, im not resubbing, you can stop trying to get me to because you dont want to play alone

Ive personally played WoW, Starcraft 2 and Bloodline champions in the top >.5% of each.

I love this game a lot so far, but what the OP said is completely true, and I feel that, and the lack of some type of arenaish combat will be a major problem for the subscriber base if it does not get fixed.

I have played Manic Miner, Chucky Egg and Jet Set Willy and was in the top 0.16578% of those.

I also invented the question mark.

See, anyone can say what they like on the internetz....

Yet you pollute these forums. Clearly you have a bit more to say than just I'm not resubbing.

dont read my posts then. its pretty simple if you have self control. but yet here you are polluting the forums with the same thing

I don't understand how people can compare a game that's been around for 7 years with one that's just barely made it out of the shelves.

Maybe they have a short memory span. I remember wow one month after release. And it was a godawful mess.

wow didnt have combat lag, maybe you are in the wrong thread?

takes time to do what exactly? how are they going to fix this? whats the problem causing this? oh thats right, they havent even explained it. and no, im not resubbing, you can stop trying to get me to because you dont want to play alone

Naw I'm just trolling you bro you can go do whatever. My guild and friends are sticking around for at least another 2-3 months to give them time to sort things out. If we see progress will stick around if not probably give up on mmos for a bit. Ability delay can be fixed btw, World Of Warcraft suffered from something very similar early in its life cycle. Of course the trolls say BUT WOW HAD ITS OWN ENGINE BUILT UP FROM THE GROUND, which is true but at the same the Hero Engine is clearly capabale allowing user imput to interrupt animations. It's simple a matter of replicating this behaviour with combat abilities. As for how long it will take or how hard of a fix it is? Well thats a trickier answer to be honest. It depends how many people they have working on it. They've commited themselves to weekly patch fixes and if they keep that rate up I don't expect we'll have to many major bugs left in 5-6 months.

Those rational and sane people realize that paying fifteen bucks a month for something that isn't fun for them is wasting money.

They may also have experience with MMO launches and realize that our money is better spent elsewhere until the dev gets things fixed properly.

dont read my posts then. its pretty simple if you have self control. but yet here you are polluting the forums with the same thing

I've given you reasonable answers based on available information. You've speculated wildly and baselesly. Move on bro.

Naw I'm just trolling you bro you can go do whatever. My guild and friends are sticking around for at least another 2-3 months to give them time to sort things out. If we see progress will stick around if not probably give up on mmos for a bit. Ability delay can be fixed btw, World Of Warcraft suffered from something very similar early in its life cycle. Of course the trolls say BUT WOW HAD ITS OWN ENGINE BUILT UP FROM THE GROUND, which is true but at the same the Hero Engine is clearly capabale allowing user imput to interrupt animations. It's simple a matter of replicating this behaviour with combat abilities. As for how long it will take or how hard of a fix it is? Well thats a trickier answer to be honest. It depends how many people they have working on it. They've commited themselves to weekly patch fixes and if they keep that rate up I don't expect we'll have to many major bugs left in 5-6 months.

wow didnt have this issue, or anything like it related to combat. nice try though

Those rational and sane people realize that paying fifteen bucks a month for something that isn't fun for them is wasting money.

They may also have experience with MMO launches and realize that our money is better spent elsewhere until the dev gets things fixed properly.

That's perfectly reasonable as well. I don't think you are the majority though but we'll see. I actually do some people coming back to swtor when bugs are fixed because that position makes total sense in some aspects. I disagree that its reasonable to expect 7 years worth of polish at a game that just had its release a month ago but ehhh whatever to each his own.

blabla .. Some of us have alot of experience playing other MMO games at launch and realize this is the nature of things. Finally some of us just *********** like the game and while we may be bothered by some of the bugs and things that need work IT DOES NOT DETRACT FROM ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE. If that concept escapes you, I'm sorry. Maybe if you RESUB for another month you can enjoy complaining? HAR AHR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

What surprises me is that there is alot of idiots supporting this half done mmo madness ;O)

wow didnt have combat lag, maybe you are in the wrong thread?

if you say that pushing keys for charging (warrior) and having to wait a second for it to happen is not combat lag then I'm in the wrong thread indeed.

I also remember having to start healing 'early', when you didn't do that the tank was dead before you actually saw his HP go down. I don't' know if that's considered combat lag though

Edited by Wisz_Rethon

It did but much like the SWTOR issue it was only for some and not for others. Made it hard to track down.

oh hard to track it down? i guess you wouldnt be able to find any reports about it either, since it was so scarce and such, plus it happened so long ago right?

no, it didnt have this problem. quit making excuses of why your game of choice has a huge flaw

since wow had this problem = its ok for swtor to have this problem

BUT DONT COMPARE THEM, ITS NOT FAIR. ONE HAS 7 YEARS OF POLISH!

see the irony in that, bro?

As one who supported this thread in its first incarnations i have to say the issue has gotten a lot better.

Combat is more fluid than it was back two or three weeks or so.

As BW said, it is one feeling with many reasons and backgrounds so it was to expect that every fix makes it a little bit better.

Don't get me wrong, the problem is still there. But it is not as bad anymore. This is my experience and my feeling. Please don't see this as an attack on your respective opinion.

edit: pvp is still horrible, though. Maybe i'm to hasty while playing against other players but as soon as i attack an Imp, no matter if in open world or in a war zone, it feels a lot different.

But there is every possibility that this is my fault entirely.

Edited by Hiramas

oh hard to track it down? i guess you wouldnt be able to find any reports about it either, since it was so scarce and such, plus it happened so long ago right?

no, it didnt have this problem. quit making excuses of why your game of choice has a huge flaw

since wow had this problem = its ok for swtor to have this problem

BUT DONT COMPARE THEM, ITS NOT FAIR. ONE HAS 7 YEARS OF POLISH!

see the irony in that, bro?

Not really. People keep comparing software design to automotive production in some vain attempt to say BUT CHRYSLER HAS X Y AND Z FEATURES SO FORD SHUOLD TO HERP. Software design is not like that though. Especially when you weigh all the factors in that can occur when people have a range of platforms to play the game on, with wildly different specs. Dude even consoles with standardized hardware still have MASSIVE bugs. PS3 skyrim says whats up.

What that should tell us btw is that since wow had that at launch and shortly corrected it, its likely we will see the same for swtor given time. You've made your feelings on the matter more than vocal and they've acknowledged they're looking into it.

What I mean to say is that bugs happen. Software is enormousely complex these days. If your not used to it now.. I've got bad news for you

Edited by TonyIommi

Not really. People keep comparing software design to automotive production in some vain attempt to say BUT CHRYSLER HAS X Y AND Z FEATURES SO FORD SHUOLD TO HERP. Software design is not like that though. Especially when you weigh all the factors in that can occur when people have a range of platforms to play the game on, with wildly different specs. Dude even consoles with standardized hardware still have MASSIVE bugs. PS3 skyrim says whats up.

What that should tell us btw is that since wow had that at launch and shortly corrected it, its likely we will see the same for swtor given time. You've made your feelings on the matter more than vocal and they've acknowledged they're looking into it.

im still waiting for you to show me something like this thread that said wow has this issue. go ahead and google wow combat abilty delay. tell me what you see

oh hello swtor

im still waiting for you to show me something like this thread that said wow has this issue. go ahead and google wow combat abilty delay. tell me what you see

oh hello swtor

They deleted the old warcraft forums, I'm mostly speaking from memory. Never the less my reasoning stands. Bugs happen get used to it. In relative terms star wars has been really good. You don't like it well you got a long road of disappointment ahead of you.