The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

DPS Powertechs, are you enjoying your class?

Maxietheswe

Hey all! I'm considering trying out powertech, and I'd like to know what you think about the class. A lot of the topics here are about shield tech, which seems fun, but I'm mainly interested in the DPS portion of the class since my friend plays a tank already.

Basically I'm looking for a melee class that doesn't feel too squishy, and still packs a decent punch. I do fear that Pyrotech may be a little too random, but other than that it seems like a pretty fun spec. AP, I don't really know how it plays, though I'm not the biggest fan of flame thrower so I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to the spec.

Please say which spec you're using, your level and if you're doing PvE or PvP (or both).

Full DPS Pyro here.

Done 675k damage in a Voidstar that nearly went the full distance.

Average over 300k, top damage 90% of the time...

Also very survivable, and with taunts and whatnot, you're capable of farming more medals than any other class in the game.

Damn right I'm enjoying it, lol.

What's your spec when you say full pyro? I have one more level to finish tonight and than I'll be 50 with 40 valor. And the first thing I want to do is take a long break from ShieldTech. So I'm interested in a viable DPS spec.

"Full Pyro" refers to going all 31 points deep rather than ducking out before then.

The trees honestly build themselves, most of the talents are obviously garbage filler bonuses. There's nothing really complex about a 31pt deep build.

The other Pyro DPS build that is fairly accepted drops out of Pyro after Burnout and picks up more damage and crit talents in the other trees. Again, the spec isn't particularly complicated to figure out if you poke at them for a bit.

The reasoning behind dropping out of Pyro after burnout is that Thermal Detonator doesn't play a significant role in single target DPS. Unless you're seperated from the target you wont really use it, therefore picking up other talents for more oomph to your core rotation (Rocket Punch, Flame Burst, Rail Shot, and your two fire related DoT ticks).

Edit: For clarity, Thermal Detonator is the Bee's knees for PvP and burst situations, I was referring to that other build in a PvE dps capacity.

Edited by chainsawsamurai

Yeah I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I can hold my own in PvP and can solo fine in PvE, especially with Mako backing me up.

I typically finish top 5 in damage, top 2 for my team. I can generally hold my own against anyone who isn't a 50 and my damage is still going up. Right now I'm heavily slotted in Pyro but I think I'm going to stop in Pyro and grab some other techs

Even though I am not slotted in Shield we still can tank fairly well thanks to our heavy armor, shield gens, ion cyl... etc

Full DPS Pyro here.

Done 675k damage in a Voidstar that nearly went the full distance.

Average over 300k, top damage 90% of the time...

Also very survivable, and with taunts and whatnot, you're capable of farming more medals than any other class in the game.

Damn right I'm enjoying it, lol.

This ^

Switched to Pyro at 35. Top the chart almost every Warzone, even when we lose.

Pyro post.

How is Pyro survivability/mobility in PvP? Do you get kited easily? I've seen posts here saying it's the squishiest out of the three specs, and also that it's heat management is terrible (I guess it's heavily reliant on the rail shot procs).

Also, is Thermal Detonator really that bad for PvE? And how is incendiary missile, is it a skill that makes you get happy when you hit 20 or just a "meh" attack?

I understand that Pyro might have it's highs and lows, being so dependant on it's proccs, do you feel like it's possible to get royally ****ed by the RNG or is the procc chance high enough on the rail shot proc?

Oh, and AoE: We all know how awesome DFA is, but it's on a 1min cd. What do you think of the rest of the PT/Pyro AoE? Flame sweep is appearantly terrible and generats a lot of heat, if I am to believe some posts here.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'll start leveling my PT :)

Edit: Also, any worthless talents to stay the **** away from?

Edited by Maxietheswe

Pyro post.

How is Pyro survivability/mobility in PvP? Do you get kited easily? I've seen posts here saying it's the squishiest out of the three specs, and also that it's heat management is terrible (I guess it's heavily reliant on the rail shot procs).

Also, is Thermal Detonator really that bad for PvE? And how is incendiary missile, is it a skill that makes you get happy when you hit 20 or just a "meh" attack?

I understand that Pyro might have it's highs and lows, being so dependant on it's proccs, do you feel like it's possible to get royally ****ed by the RNG or is the procc chance high enough on the rail shot proc?

Oh, and AoE: We all know how awesome DFA is, but it's on a 1min cd. What do you think of the rest of the PT/Pyro AoE? Flame sweep is appearantly terrible and generats a lot of heat, if I am to believe some posts here.

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'll start leveling my PT :)

Edit: Also, any worthless talents to stay the **** away from?

• It is the squishiest of the three specs.
  • It's probably the least vulnerable to kiting due to having the most options for 30m attacks.
  • Heat management isn't "terrible", it's just unpredictable.
  • Thermal Detonator is fine for PvE. It gets a bad rap because over a long enough period of time on a single target, Flame Burst starts to outperform it. On anything Elite or lower, though, it provides superior spike DPS.
  • Incendiary Missile is a very long DoT. Nice on long battles, very "meh" on anything shorter.
  • The proc chance is fine, but yes, it is possible to get royally ****ed on procs.
  • AoE is fine, although you are predominantly a single target spec.
  • Flame Sweep is terrible and generates a lot of heat. Situational ability only.
  • Integrated Cardio Package is probably the most lackluster ability in the tree, unless you're rolling a Shield Tech. Everything else is according to preference.