Marauder Keybinding

Rlenk

I too cannot see myself ever unbinding WASD for movement. I do quite often use L+R mouse buttons to move, but frequently find myself defaulting to WASD. On top of that, I like being able to see my target while strafing around them (especially in raids). It's particularly useful at the first boss of EV where the droid uses his "STORM PROTOCOLS" move. I just run around it clockwise and never get hit, while still bashing his face repeatedly. I use this in PvP quite a bit too.

Mouse3: INTERRUPT. I can't stress the importance of this enough.

Shift+Q is either Scream, Ravage, or Rupture depending on spec....

Yeah, depending on the spec I am in, I switch a lot of keybinds up. The important ones end up on E, F, or 5. I don't know if I missed anything, but you get the idea.

I use Tilde (`) for all interrupt-style abilities, have done so since that last MMO I used to play.. The muscle memory is too ingrained now. I rolled an Inq last night, and was working thru Korriban. Khorslug started to cast something and I instantly started spamming tilde... no ability was bound to it (yet). >.<

M3 is Rupture for me ^_^. This is also a throwback to my keybinding for that laser-beam-from-the-sky-move-thing from previously-mentioned past MMO.

If you plan on playing this game for a while, and have the money for an investment, i would strongly urge getting a razer naga mouse. It has 1-10 numbers on the thumb.

It takes about 2-3 weeks to get used to it but the payoff is immense. You retain 100% of your mobility (which is very crucial for a melee class) while being able to pop any skill on demand. I would recommend binding alt as you can hit it with your thumb while continuing to move / position your character.

If you want to go further, get a razer nostromo or logitech G13 (what I have). With this, i have WSAD mapped as normal, along with Ctrl, Alt, shift and spacebar mapped within easy reach of my thumb. I can move fluid while hitting any skill at any position on the 4 quickbars on demand. Again--takes a while to get used to it but after a while you pop skills without thought. I would say my biggest issue now is trying to spam too many skills at once. They're all so easy to access I end up getting ahead of the GCD with my execution.

Edited by jgarib

• 7 months later...

If we're going to necro this thread (and I don't see why not at this point), I just want to highlight how absolutely amazing an MMO mouse is for Marauder.

With as much movement as is needed to play Marauder well, the less you can do with your keyboard hand, the better.

Picked up a G600 pretty much the moment it launched, and I can't imagine going back.

The best part is that you can be sneaky with what keys you bind to the mouse (I use numpad, my friend uses 1 through = with modifiers) and still have the regular number keys available for additional binds.

At this point, virtually all of my DPS skills sit on the mouse, along with defensive CDs, and then miscellaneous stuff occupies 1-4, q, e, r, f, z, x, and c on the keyboard to minimize the use of the buggy G-shift button on the mouse, and to mostly avoid modifiers (shift, alt, ctrl) on the keyboard.

If we're going to necro this thread (and I don't see why not at this point), I just want to highlight how absolutely amazing an MMO mouse is for Marauder.

With as much movement as is needed to play Marauder well, the less you can do with your keyboard hand, the better.

Picked up a G600 pretty much the moment it launched, and I can't imagine going back.

The best part is that you can be sneaky with what keys you bind to the mouse (I use numpad, my friend uses 1 through = with modifiers) and still have the regular number keys available for additional binds.

At this point, virtually all of my DPS skills sit on the mouse, along with defensive CDs, and then miscellaneous stuff occupies 1-4, q, e, r, f, z, x, and c on the keyboard to minimize the use of the buggy G-shift button on the mouse, and to mostly avoid modifiers (shift, alt, ctrl) on the keyboard.

I cant really use my naga buttons for anything except marking targets in warzones, because the buttons are too close together for my fat thumbs. In retrospect, think I should have gone with the HEX instead, better layout for fatty fingers.

I cant really use my naga buttons for anything except marking targets in warzones, because the buttons are too close together for my fat thumbs. In retrospect, think I should have gone with the HEX instead, better layout for fatty fingers.

I can't stand the Naga, but the newer G600 fits my long, skinny hands quite well.

Proper keybindings that allow you easy access to most frequently used abilities is easily as important as knowing your rotations and having a feel for your build. I can't stress this enough. I just switched to Rage yesterday, which is stoooooopid OP atm. I spent about a good 30 minutes figuring out the placement of 2 abilities for easy access and playing around with the bindings in live play. So important. So important.

Proper keybindings that allow you easy access to most frequently used abilities is easily as important as knowing your rotations and having a feel for your build. I can't stress this enough. I just switched to Rage yesterday, which is stoooooopid OP atm. I spent about a good 30 minutes figuring out the placement of 2 abilities for easy access and playing around with the bindings in live play. So important. So important.

On behalf of the stupid overpowered marauders club, I welcome you. How much deeps did you do?

On behalf of the stupid overpowered marauders club, I welcome you. How much deeps did you do?

Well currently 720k, but that's with me having to leave mid during a CW stealmate to defend natural turret. Suffice to say, my AOEness was a key factor in that match. Had 4 deaths too. It's been a trollolol fest. I'll keep you updated.

To expand on a thought I started having in another thread...

The keybind issue becomes even more critical after 1.5, assuming that subscribers keep free respecs and the field respec Legacy perk isn't removed from the game entirely.

Not only will effective keybindings be essential, but a setup that permits nearly-seamless swapping between multiple specs on the fly will be as well. It could very rapidly become the case where, whether in a single PVP match or PVE Operation, the optimal spec for the situation may change multiple times.

If you get an opportunity out of combat to quickly respec and flip-flop skills around, you could seriously up your contribution to the group. Being effective like that is highly dependent on minimum disruption to muscle memory via minimum shakeup of keybinds.

Quite honestly, I think free respecs + field respec is a ludicrously overpowered combination, and not just for Marauder. We'll see how it translates to live, but all 8 ACs should see a massive benefit, and it virtually removes the requirement for dual-spec that people continue to request.

To expand on a thought I started having in another thread...

The keybind issue becomes even more critical after 1.5, assuming that subscribers keep free respecs and the field respec Legacy perk isn't removed from the game entirely.

Not only will effective keybindings be essential, but a setup that permits nearly-seamless swapping between multiple specs on the fly will be as well. It could very rapidly become the case where, whether in a single PVP match or PVE Operation, the optimal spec for the situation may change multiple times.

If you get an opportunity out of combat to quickly respec and flip-flop skills around, you could seriously up your contribution to the group. Being effective like that is highly dependent on minimum disruption to muscle memory via minimum shakeup of keybinds.

Quite honestly, I think free respecs + field respec is a ludicrously overpowered combination, and not just for Marauder. We'll see how it translates to live, but all 8 ACs should see a massive benefit, and it virtually removes the requirement for dual-spec that people continue to request.

I've done respecs at the start of a rated match before (usually going carnage in huttball for the sole purpose of being the predation marauder) and it's pretty nice. Huttball is one of the few matchers where I actually somewhat prefer carnage, since defending nodes/killing people doesn't really help that much - all about moving the ball and bursting down single target (ball carrier), which carnage does well. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

One keyboard i sujest for easyer play is the Merc Stealth By SteelSeries. Heres a amazon link to it http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Merc-Stealth-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B00292OW1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352149761&sr=8-1&keywords=merc+stealth+illuminated

If you look at the pic it shows the side area that has the 1- = keys in a much smaller and more hand accesable area. it also has special key config software for key macros (also has presets for many different games!) i dont have one YET but my dad has one and he LOVES it.