The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard compared to Kinetic Shadow

Psionic_X

i play a commando as my main and consider rolling something more tanky as alt.

i dont really care about pve at all. im looking for group pvp but also solo pvp with some surviability.

im torn between a kinetic shadow and a vanguard. dps is important too (after surviability), i dont just want to be a meat shield.

how is the damage output, survivabilty and solo ability of both classes compared to each other ?

what i also couldnt figure out until now is how tanky is a vanguard when he specs full assault or tactics ? or is it all in the equipment and ppl go for defensive stats on their amor even if in full dps specs ?

any info greatly appreciated !

Edited by Psionic_X

Go Vanguard. You have higher armor without buffs, so more base mitigation. You have ranged skills. I don't have the proof, but I've heard they put out more dps than shadows. Guardians are the worst of the tanks. Also you don't have to monitor procs, self buffs and debuffs constantly like the Shadow has to. Oh and you get Harpoon. Awesome skill.

The Shadow gets stealth though, but I don't know how useful that'd be for you unless you plan on trying to make a dps tank for 1v1. The Shadow also gets self heals, but to have to recast your main defensive skill every 8 seconds or whatever, and monitor particle acceleration procs, would be tiring for me.

Edited by Joebroni

well some 1v1 goodness couldnt hurt.

i know what you mean about the recasting of the reactive shield, but about procs to watch: doesnt a vanguard also have procs like stockstrike/HiB and other stuff (depending on spec) that he has to watch ?

i dont want to question the "more fluid playstyle" im just trying to figure out what that really means (upsides/downsides) and what i would prefer personally. unfortunately i wont have time to play both to 50 in any ammount of reasonable time, i also play my commando and want to keep him.

about the 10m range stuff : yes i think that helps big time, 4m<>10m is more than it sounds.

Well and the vanguard skills don't so much proc and they combo. You slow someone, somehow (usually with the 50% proc from our basic attack that you get through talents), and you can use high impact bolt. You freeze or knock them down, and you can use the other melee ability (that I forget the name of). It's not really a deep routine and your entire rotation doesn't feel like it revolves around these mechanics the same way as a kinetic shadow. The shadow seems to live or die based on adhering to their mechanics. The trooper has more options and more resilience. It's like a risk management tank that pops cooldowns and uses crowd control, instead of a pattern tank who approaches lots of fights the same way (but is successful in that way).

Vanguard is less repetitious, and you end up with a bunch of skills you want to use every fight, but don't because they're all good options, and you might prefer one on a fight against adds and another against a big elite and a 3rd against players.

I think vangards can adapt their style more as a tank.

flavour and mechanics differnces understood. tnx so far !

i allready have a shadow to 25 and my vanguard will turn 10 today. i looked over abilities and played skilltree-tools for both classes more than one time. still its often somewhat hard to get insight from just theorycrafting.i have seen lots of videos about vanguards in different specs, as tank they still seem to put out nice damage over time (even if not as bursty) and in dps/shield hybrid spec they still seem to have a formidable survival.

but about the shadow pvp endgame i couldnt find a lot of video material. almost nothing where a 50 isnt owning lvl 12s in WFs anyhow. i just know if my 25 shadow goes pure dps, he is very squishy.

so its really hard to compare them for me and the 10-25 range im currently in only tells so much...

and what do you guys think about the performance question in pvp when comparing both ?

1. survival

2. dps output

3. 1v1 ?

4. dps in tank spec compared to survival in dps spec