Shadowy Veil...underrated??

thefishdude

I'm lvl 39 and I'm working my way towards the Upheval build (2/31/8). However, after going through 39 lvls, I keep finding myself eyeballing Shadowy Veil and wondering why nobody ever includes it in their builds. I'm also lvl 36 valor, so I've done my fair share of PVP and I can honestly admit that the extra 30% of armor looks and sounds appealing.

Below is a post I read on TORHEAD regarding Shadowy Veil. Couple SV with Jedi Resistance (from Balance) and you're looking at approximately 6% damage reduction. Points well spent in my mind, but I'm interested to hear what others think.

From user at TORHEAD

Undervalued talent by most people, armour rating is on diminishing returns, so even though 30% of heavy armour is a bigger points gain than 30% on light armour, the actual increase in damage reduction is very similar

In standard blues you will gain ~3.9%, full Battlemaster PVP 4.34% extra damage reduction from melee and kinetic/energy damage attacks which is a common type of damage

So it's 43 damage taken off every 1k hit your opponent does, it adds up & could keep you alive for enough time to get one more spell off, and that one spell could hit for 3k+ so it may make all the difference in a close duel

If you are full Infiltration build then you probably have the choice of 2pts in this, or subduing techniques/celerity, you may decide those provide more utility I am just saying this is not as worthless as it is made out to be

Well, I see a lot of people using those two points in the kinetic tree (Applied Force or Double-bladed Saber Defense). Personally, I think SV>Double-Bladed by a landslide. As for Applied Force, it's a trade off between offense and defense. I feel like I already do a lot of damage, but my squishiness needs some help.

Once again, I'm not sold on SV; so, I'm definitely curious to hear others' thoughts.

Edited by thefishdude

In general, I like being very good at one thing while completely sacrificing something else.

For example, I'd prefer going mass crit instead of 50% crit / 50% power.

In terms of my skilltree, I tried to go all out offense, rather than trying to do 80% offense/ 20% defense or something like that.

I see infiltration shine the most while bursting down targets, so my primary goal is to take all talents that allow me to burst down targets most efficiently.

I did that knowing that I'm gonna have a healer and a guard tank by my side most of the time, but as it turned out, this approach made me quite lethal even in 1on1 situations.

Edited by Jeckll

I know this topic was discussed a few times in the past and some people really like SV.

So it's surely not wrong to take it and living a few seconds longer perhaps can make the difference.

I took (like most others) the 2% damage reduce in Balance to get uphevel but tbh - I don't feel more ... tanky (is that a word ^^) than before. Maybe together with SV, you might feel a difference.

Try it out and if you like it, stick to it. :)

Edited by Jeckll