An option to disable XP would be nice

Shortwave

I play this game with my wife and we agreed to keep our toons around the same level. The only problem is that sometimes when she isn't around I want to play, and sometimes when I'm not around she wants to play. It would be nice to have an option to disable XP, even if only in the Warzones, because I don't know about you folks, but I absolutely love PvP in this game. I know I can roll an alt (and I am), but sometimes I want to play my main.

Devs: I know you guys have a full plate right now, and a request such as this so early in the game deserves a spot on the back burner, but please consider.

Does anyone agree? Should there be an option to disable XP?

How about when you and your wife are playing you use a specific character and then when one of you are not there choose a different character to play - that way you can still play whenever you want and still level your two favourite characters together/

How about when you and your wife are playing you use a specific character and then when one of you are not there choose a different character to play - that way you can still play whenever you want and still level your two favourite characters together/

I do this with a friend of mine and it works great

Got an IA to play with my friend and a BH when I'm not

^^ what he said.

To the OP:

I dont think you should be asking such additions to the game when the real issue is you and your wife not being able to control your game playing urges.

Nevertheless, I know what you are going through. It happened all the time with me and my friends playing diablo 2.

Just create a toon where you have the freedom to level as you will, and another where you and your wife only play with together.

To answer your question: No i do not agree with you idea, it sounds extremly unnecessary and utterly pointless.

EDIT: Wrote girlfriend instead of wife, sry about that. I've changed it.

Edited by Jackalen

I'm going to agree with the original poster on this. Disabling XP is a feature many MMOs offer, including WoW. Sometimes I just want to enjoy PvP or mess around with a space combat and I can't because I'm already 6 levels ahead of my missions. And plowing through missions on what feels like easy mode because of the level difference is really ruining the experience for me.

I would love to be able to disable XP gains temporarily and allow the game to catch up, and to feel like I can mess around with PvP and space missions without out-leveling the friends I regularly group with or out-leveling the mission content.

And players suggesting the original poster just roll another character aren't understanding that when you're leveling alongside a specific someone, part of the fun of the experience is to experience everything in the game for the first time together. Using a second character to blaze ahead without your significant other spoils that.

Edited by Apax

I hope pve players get the option to turn off xp. But if you do, you shouldn't be allowed to enter a warzone until level 50. And no changing your mind, either. Once you turn off xp for the first time on a character, that character has to wait until level 50 to pvp.

I would really love to be able to disable xp for pvp. I did several warzones and now all of my missions are grey to me. However, like the OP, I play with my husband and we want to do all of the content together...hence I am doing my quests with little challenge and little to no xp reward. I'd rather the pvp xp have a toggle than feel like I'm doing my quests for 5 xp. Just my 2 cents.

I would really love to be able to disable xp for pvp. I did several warzones and now all of my missions are grey to me. However, like the OP, I play with my husband and we want to do all of the content together...hence I am doing my quests with little challenge and little to no xp reward. I'd rather the pvp xp have a toggle than feel like I'm doing my quests for 5 xp. Just my 2 cents.

I get that, but twinks are annoying in pvp and if players can cut off xp for either pvp or pve we'll be stuck with a bunch of them running around one shotting levelers. As a dedicated alt roller, I'm against it.

I get that, but twinks are annoying in pvp and if players can cut off xp for either pvp or pve we'll be stuck with a bunch of them running around one shotting levelers. As a dedicated alt roller, I'm against it.

Twinks in TOR? There are no brackets there would be no point any random 50 would curbstomp a lower level because they get expertise gear.

How is this even a valid concern when the game lumps players levels 10-49 in the same warzone together? A twinked level 12 character should be the least of your worries.

Twinks in TOR? There are no brackets there would be no point any random 50 would curbstomp a lower level because they get expertise gear.

They're giving 50s their own bracket. I guarantee if we can turn off xp geared level 49s will become the new 50s. They'll cut off xp and faceroll rather than face having to gear up against other 50s.

Turn off XP option isn't important at all (to me) but also wouldn't destroy PvP in the games current state. It's not possible here to +10 all your gear on a lvl 39 like in some other games...so I don't see how "twinking" would be a problem.

They're giving 50s their own bracket. I guarantee if we can turn off xp geared level 49s will become the new 50s. They'll cut off xp and faceroll rather than face having to gear up against other 50s.

I think a level 10 through 40 player doesn't really care whether his PvP opponent is a level 49 or a twinked level 49. Either way they're still screwed because of the level gap. Your twink concern is a non-issue.

I could support disabling it in PvP.

You can't disable it in PvE because there is a chance you might turn it off too long and put yourself behind the game's curve.

Then we'd see posts on the forums like:

"WHY DDOES BIOWEAR LET ME TUNE OFF XP BUT I CANT BEET BOSS BECUZ IM TOO LOW LEVEL!!111"

Edited by Arkerus

I could support disabling it in PvP.

You can't disable it in PvE because there is a chance you might turn it off too long and put yourself behind the game's curve.

Then we'd see posts on the forums like:

"WHY DDOES BIOWEAR LET ME TUNE OFF XP BUT I CANT BEET BOSS BECUZ IM TOO LOW LEVEL!!111"

And if you (somehow) put yourself behind the game's curve you could just run a daily or space mission around your level and catch back up. Or just log in a Cantina and score some rest XP. Do you know I completely avoid hanging out in rest XP zones now because I'm already too far AHEAD of the curve?

How would your concern even accidentally happen, by the way? I think players would notice that the mobs they're fighting over the course of several hours (if not days) are slowly getting higher level than them. It's not like *BAM* What the hey? They were my level and suddenly they're five levels higher!!. Come on, this is also a non-issue. We're just making up excuses now.

The most stupid option ever.:csw_vader:

And yet, many players appreciate having it, many MMOs offer it, and as an option it's a choice you can completely choose to ignore. Much like this thread if it doesn't interest you.

Edited by Apax

Well, I'm behind being able to disable xp. Had it on another MMO I played and would love to have it here. On that MMO, every time you logged in and message would pop up letting you know that xp is disabled. I don't know how much coding would be involved in doing that for SWTOR but it's definitely something I'd like to see in future.

My two credits. :D

Oh hell no, OP! I see that your intentions are pure but turning off XP is a very bad thing. For one it kills PvP by eventually creating PvP brackets for only 2 level types, level 50 full geared and level 21 twinks.

Do you even understand how PvP works in this game? Because you wouldn't be posting that if you did. This isn't WoW where we have brackets every 10 levels. There are two brackets: level 50, and level's 10-49. Whether a level 21 player is twinked or not doesn't matter in the slightest when he is fighting everyone ranging from level 10-49 in the same PvP zone.

I've been out leveling my peoples so I rolled an alt. The story lines are great and you can't have too many professions at your disposal.

Rolling alts is a decent suggestion, but some players just want to focus on one character, or don't have an interest in the other classes.

Also, often people who play together on a regular basis like to enjoy seeing new content together. It's a large part of what makes the experience fun for them. So, rolling up an alt that eventually outpaces the character you're playing with your friend or significant other can be completely unappealing and not an option.

People just want to play the game without out-leveling their friends or the content. It's extremely frustrating not being able to play because of that. Imagine just not getting to play this week; I think some of you would be frustrated by that. So are the people who are asking for an XP-toggle. I want to be able to mess around more with PvP and space missions and I can't because those XP rewards are way too large. I'm already too far ahead of the content.

In the end, it's an option, and you either use it or you don't. And it has zero impact on people who don't, so not providing the option is silly.

Edited by Apax

The game needs /xp off for various reasons. Most mmos have this so it's only a matter of time until they add it in swtor.

This is sadly true. I say sadly because every time someone requests this feature on an MMO forum it results in this epic forum struggle between those that want it and those that don't want anyone to have it. And despite all the naysaying it always eventually makes its way into an MMO. It would be nice if we could just skip the pointless arguing this time around.

The problem is, it usually arrives way to late for the people who needed an XP-toggle available from the beginning of the game. I'm tired of requesting features for the next generation of players and would have liked to have seen this feature in the game yesterday.

Edited by Apax