Mifi/Wireless Broadband

DjDangle

Can't get broadband where I live.... refused to let this stop me playing so went and got Mifi...

Played for 2/3 hours yesterday and used about 60mb.... not bad... stays like that i'll be happy...

Anyone else playing early access using mifi/wireless broadband on 3g/4g network to play? What are your experiences with bandwidth so far? Suprisingly i've not suffered any lag at all, but I have a 15gb monthly limit and don't want to batter it within a week!

Edited by DjDangle

Works fine for me and my girlfriend on wifi, latency sticks around 50 ms for both of us on the same wireless AP when playing together.

Be aware though that the load on the server-side isnt as high as it will be at launch. Having said that, client-side is smooth.

Yep I played one of the beta weekends on my mifi - I suppose it depends on the network etc but where I use my mifi I have an excellent 3 connection. Pings were in the mid 100ms and there was 1 or 2 spikes a day which could have been the network or the game servers. So totally playable and will be doing so again. Data wise the hit was barely noticeable (and this was a full Friday to Sunday) so again no concerns at all.

The connection speeds are very good it's not really that i'm concerned about, more how mucvh data the game will munch through while playing.

I'm "assuming" the actual data bandwidth use is very small considering I played for a few hours and only used 60mb, obviously with more people on any one server i suppose this figure would go up, I'm just curious by how much!

Cheers for responses :D

Edited by DjDangle

It might be something you'll just have to monitor - the thing I like about mifi's though is that at least you can easily monitor data usage.

All I can say is that between 6pm (ish) yesterday and 1.30 am (ish) today I used a total of 323MB (that's on my landline ISP)

That was a bit of the internet, some emails, a bit of WOW (waiting for my email!) and then about 5 hours of TOR. Oddly my midnight to 1.30 am usage (which doesn't come out of my allowance) was 63MB which means I used as much in 1.5 hours as you did in your full session.

But I'm still convinced when I used it on the beta weekend it hardly made a dint in the allowance on my mifi and on my mifi I only have a 5GB allowance (mainly for weekend use away in a caravan TBH)