What lesson have we learned from EA and Bioware with this launch?

DarthPeterNorth

The problem isn't "not being able to read" or "failing to understand" as much as it's being annoyed about breaking from the standard and doing so in a horribly unprofessional manner.

Again, you mean breaking from the standard and ensuring everyone is fully aware of the details?

And if you actually read most of the hate threads they are not complaining about anything more than "I WANT ACCESS" "I WAS PROMISED 5 DAYS" "CONSPIRACY" "ITS NOT FAIR"

These complaints are all coming from people who knew well in advance that this is what would happen. Like I said in another post, ignorance is not an excuse.

Driz

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The "lesson" I've learned is that gamers have the patience of a spoiled 5 year old.

They will figuratively stomp and shout, hold their breath and make threats unless they get what they want right now.

You can't make all the people happy all of the time.

MMO communities are the best living example of that saying.

Edited by ruktuim

I've played more then a few mmos at launch /headstart over the last decade that haven't had "hours of queing, dcing, lagging, game crashes, competing to get quest kills etc?", wow launched like that, as did alot of games with large followings but thankfully server technology has come a long way in being able to handle most of the server related problems.

I have also played several big MMO's at launch including WOW, WAR and Galaxies and all had major problems at launch with dc's, queus,lag, server crashes etc.

At least this way you know when you do get onto the server you will be able to play. Just letting all preorders on yesterday would more than likely made the systems unplayable and no-one would have got on. I want on as much as you but but I want on so i can play in a pleasant environment, not lag spikes, dc's, crashes, queues..etc

This is the best best launch I have seen for a game of this size and BW are handling it better than could be expected.

But Jealousy means that some kids just have to rage.

Are you guys a joke really? Guys wake up!

Kinda hard to be posting when you're not awake.

This is a planed schedule. We knew that would happen long long time ago already. They said this over and over. If you didnt lesson well, it's not their problem. And this is not being unprofessional.

The problem isn't about it being a planned schedule, the problem is that they can handle much MORE then they "scheduled", they know it, and the community knows it (and is largely pissed) because they had the entire day to observe and add more people and didn't. That, is extremely unprofessional behavior, they've basically been pissing in their customers faces because they can and laughing.

They are doing what they promised, and this is being professional. Because they didnt give some candy to some moaners doesnt mean they are unprofessional.

Good parents dont feed their children with everything they moan. And good children will learn their lessons while bad children live with the ugly face of disappointments in every situation they get in life.

That's the step one we all should learn about life. Even the promises could be broken. So if there's no 'going to' but 'may play up to', you should think twice before making your plans and dreams.

Wow you really are stupider then you originally made yourself out to be.

The "lesson" I've learned is that gamers have the patience of a spoiled 5 year old.

With all the **** they've been shoveled in games since wow game along can you really blame people (especially those who were around back when game companies weren't afraid to take chances) from being pissed when they're treated like second class citizens, when in the same situation at a retail establishment their problem would of been taken care of immediately 9/10 times.

I have also played several big MMO's at launch including WOW, WAR and Galaxies and all had major problems at launch with dc's, queus,lag, server crashes etc.

Cherry picking the worst games (and those from the industries infancy) is definitely a good way to support your point.

The problem isn't about it being a planned schedule, the problem is that they can handle much MORE then they "scheduled", they know it, and the community knows it (and is largely pissed) because they had the entire day to observe and add more people and didn't. That, is extremely unprofessional behavior, they've basically been pissing in their customers faces because they can and laughing.

" they had the entire day to observe and add more people and didn't. That, is extremely unprofessional behavior, they've basically been pissing in their customers faces because they can and laughing."

Really? Come on now, do you really think that?

You really think a massive company like BW, on the early access launch day has ANY desire to "piss in their customers faces"....really?

Rather than think it was a strategic decision with load balancing and such in mind, you CHOOSE to think they just personally wanted to annoy you and piss in your face?

errrm...ok.

Driz

That bioware really did not monitor the beta testing very well. Level 50's on the first day? All they did was allow people to come in and play the game enough to find how well farming pvp works.

According to BioWare as of last night there are NO level 50s. Not even in the 30-40 range. So I highly doubt that by this morning there are any level 50s.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=106615&postcount=725

IMHO, most of the uproar is with people posting completely invalid information which is causing other folks to get angry.

Edited by Holt

If this staggered launch goes as slow as day one ill never ever again pre-order anything from bioware/EA.

Whats the logic of pre-ordering a product at day 1 that you know crap about it because they hide everything afraid of criticism besides being a blind fanboy that would buy a devs used condom?

Smart consumers MUST know what they are buying before putting their money on something. Pre-ordering to have 1 week behind blind customers is the same as buying retail, or worse.

We have learnt that there's some people who don't know how to read and comprehend FAQs and preorder info/conditions, which causes them a huge overdose of self-entitlement which eventually ends in severe disappointment caused by their own lack of brain usage.

According to BioWare as of last night there are NO level 50s. Not even in the 30-40 range. So I highly doubt that by this morning there are any level 50s.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=106615&postcount=725

IMHO, most of the uproar is with people posting completely invalid information which is causing other folks to get angry.

This ^^

It started yesterday with trolls posting "I only pre ordered yesterday and I am in"

People just buy in to the BS and the self entitlement freight train gathers speed.

Driz

Cherry picking the worst games (and those from the industries infancy) is definitely a good way to support your point.

Well, as they were the biggest at the time, it makes sense to use them, as TOR is now the biggest at launch.

Wanna pick a game with a couple of thousand preorders isn't going to support your point. Try comparing as close as you can to a game with the kind of preorders as launch and the 3 i listed are pretty much top.

This is the biggest launch of an MMO ever so staggering the access makes pertect sense, as they don't know what might happen. This way they are in full control. They can let you in when they think they are ready, with no empty promises of exactly when(hence so no email saying it will be the 14/15/16 at 8am etc.)

Take a step back for a second and think about how they could have managed this without the Jealous rage taking over, and the choices are pretty much limited. This is the best way.

They will figuratively stomp and shout, hold their breath and make threats unless they get what they want right now.

You can't make all the people happy all of the time.

MMO communities are the best living example of that saying.

Ya this is pretty much what I was thinking. I have never been part of an MMO launch and haven't ever really been into MMO's. This will be my first. I am looking at all this bickering on the forums from the perspective of an outsider. The temper tantrums and entitlement mentality blow my mind. I have finals all week and I am moving so I am actually kind of glad I have to wait. It means better grades for me! lolz :) When the game is finally launched and we are a few months in I am sure all of these same people will STILL be complaining about something hahaha.

Edited by Grave-tm-

You just said that when you ordered the game there were no caveats, pre-requisites or other stipulations.

So where do you extrapolate that pre ordering gives you access to anything at all? Where did it state in the zero information you got that pre ordering gave you FULL access to headstart?

Simple answer...it didnt.

Driz

I don't know if you being deliberately obtuse? I bought the game with the promotion that if you pre-ordered you got access to the head start.

I guess you ordered from Origin. I can assure you neither Amazon(UK), Play or Gameplay mentioned any sort of restriction to the head start. All where saying pre-order now and be the first to play. It was unequivocal.

I went as far checking the Waybackwhen internet archive but sadly the pages from the period I ordered (early September) are not archived yet. I think if you saw them you would agree.

Of course some of the retailers are not the brightest bulbs in the box and it seems like there are constant problems between them and publishers. Amazon for example have still not updated to the recently revised delivery schedule. Who's 'fault' it is can be debated but I'll say it one more time, at the point of sale the information provided offered un-restricted access to the head start as a reward for pre ordering the game.

Edited by GumBoil

Well I simply do not care your ignorance my friend and it seems you just can't get out of this state here.

'The problem is that they can handle much MORE than they 'scheduled... the community knows it' How do you know that? Or let me ask you this: Would you be the one who to blame if there would be 'server balance' issues, 'queue' issues ' etc when they let all enter right now? We both know the answers. If that was the case, you would come here and whine even more.

We should make something clear here: This is not LAUNCH. Why shall they give all Early Access in day 1? Instead of this, they could launch the game in 13th right? Now you really need to think about it. Why? Why are they doing this instead of 'moan moan' drama.

Besides, even if they could handle it, that's none of your business. If they don't give you something they promised, then come here and whine as the way you want.

Now tell me if they didnt do something they promised. They do and exactly are doing things they promised as the way it suppose to be, no more no less.

One last thing : Do not ever call me 'stupid or stupider' or any other name again which contains harassment. I hope we are clear on this.

Edited by Joshbonrise

Odd, I could have sworn they let in 5 "waves" of people yesterday. :rolleyes:

Do you know the # of people they let in? Nope.

They let in 5 waves over the course of 8 hours. They didn't admit more beyond that because they were anticipating a spike in concurrent users once people got home from work and school for the day.

I don't think that a "large" part of the community is pissed. Far from it; just because there's whiners making posts, doesn't mean that most people, or even a "large" amount of them, agree. In fact, I'd venture to say there's far more sensible, reading-abled people who are sitting back waiting their turn laughing at the kid's spazzing out on the forums.

I don't know if you being deliberately obtuse? I bought the game with the promotion that if you pre-ordered you got access to the head start.

I guess you ordered from Origin. I can assure you neither Amazon(UK), Play or Gameplay mentioned any sort of restriction to the head start. All where saying pre-order now and be the first to play. It was unequivocal.

I went as far checking the Waybackwhen internet archive but sadly the pages from the period I ordered (early September) are not archived yet. I think if you saw them you would agree.

Of course some of the retailers are not the brightest bulbs in the box and it seems like there are constant problems between them and publishers. Amazon for example have still not updated to the recently revised delivery schedule. Who's 'fault' it is can be debated but I'll say it one more time, at the point of sale the information provided offered un-restricted access to the head start as a reward for pre ordering the game.

No I pre ordered my copy from my local GAME store.

The point I am making is that if you were given no hard and fast information as you stated you were not, you seem to base the belief that you should have had unrestricted access to headstart on the info some retail monkey gave you verbally.

Guess what, that person does not work for BW and without clarification you should have taken it with a pinch of salt and made the effort to find out.

The fact is that if you pre ordered and entered your code by a certain date, you WILL get UP TO 5 days early access, just as the official communications said you would.

In fact BW have increased it to be UP TO 7 DAYS.

I cant see where you have any reason to complain other than not ascertaining the early access facts from a reputable source.

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

I bought the game with the promotion that if you pre-ordered you got access to the head start.

Did they say it was 5 days earlier? or 10 days or anything? No

Did Early access over? No

You still got time to an early access and there still are 5 days to come? Yes

You pre-ordered the game and you will get your access to the head start before 19 right? Yes

So why do you still moan about it?

I simply do not really understand. Why?

Who's 'fault' it is can be debated but I'll say it one more time, at the point of sale the information provided offered un-restricted access to the head start as a reward for pre ordering the game.

Blame the retailler for not having read the informations correctly before giving it to you :)

You really think a massive company like BW, on the early access launch day has ANY desire to "piss in their customers faces"....really?

Rather than think it was a strategic decision with load balancing and such in mind, you CHOOSE to think they just personally wanted to annoy you and piss in your face?

errrm...ok.

Driz

It's the only logical conclusion to why they'd let the majority of their servers sit at low-medium capacity.

If this staggered launch goes as slow as day one ill never ever again pre-order anything from bioware/EA.

Whats the logic of pre-ordering a product at day 1 that you know crap about it because they hide everything afraid of criticism besides being a blind fanboy that would buy a devs used condom?

Smart consumers MUST know what they are buying before putting their money on something. Pre-ordering to have 1 week behind blind customers is the same as buying retail, or worse.

agreed... i ordred mine from gamestop the first day it was avil.. but didnt get a code til oct because they ran out so i guess im SOL on getting in for early access.. which is what i paid for... nice job bioware... since i was told that the code shortage was because gamestop couldnt get any more codes from them to cover the presales. Dont presale items you cant cover... period

agreed... i ordred mine from gamestop the first day it was avil.. but didnt get a code til oct because they ran out so i guess im SOL on getting in for early access.. which is what i paid for... nice job bioware... since i was told that the code shortage was because gamestop couldnt get any more codes from them to cover the presales. Dont presale items you cant cover... period

First of all you paid no extra for early access. You paid a deposit for pre ordering the game which simply means there will be a copy available to you on launch day. The deposit amount is deducted from the total so you have paid no more than the stated retail price.

Second of all, do you really believe BW did not issue enough codes?

Or is it more likely greedy retail outlets have sold more pre orders than they had codes in the first place?

I know what I would bet on...

Driz

Edited by ImperialSun

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.