The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Am I doing this right? (PT PvE Solo)

Ziko

Greetings fellow Bounty Hunters!

Been reading around and I see lots of things about builds, stats and skills but not 100% sure if I'm doing this right or not.

Solo PvE 30 PowerTech, with Mako on medwatch

Build I'm going for---> 31 / 8 / 2

Started off with AnubisXy wonderful guide but did a few minor changes...

I went with shield tech only for the thought of survivability.

For solo PvE is shield tech my best choice?

I would not mind trading defense for some quicker killing power but dont want to die from it.

What is the best way of spending my first 21 skill points???

Here is my Level 30 Build at the moment, should I change anything?

Should I have Prototype Burn Enhancers now or wait till later on?

As far as my stats go...

I have been for the most part trying to keep gear at 50% Aim and 50% Endruance.

Then for any bonuses I went in this order... 1st to critical rating, 2nd to power, 3rd to shield chance and last to shield absorption.

Now about my rotation...

Normal group---> death from above, unload, rail shot, flame sweep... then combinations of Rapid Shots, Rocket Punch or Flame Burst making sure to keep my heat low enough for a better cool down rate.

For a Boss---> Death from above then flame burst. Using rail shot & rocket punch when they are available. Using flame burst to keep the debuff on the boss and then using rapid shots to help keep heat down.

My current hotbar--->

(trying to keep it simple and only 1 hotbar, too many buttons as it is now)

01- Rapid Shots

02- Flame Burst

03- Rocket Punch

04- Unload

05- Rail Shot

06- Flame Sweep

07- Death From Above

08- Vent Heat

09- MedPac

10- MedUnit

11- STAP (vehicle)

12- Recharge and Reload

Not using Missile Blast because I heard that its not that great due to heat vs damage.

Using Ion Gas Cylinder or should I be using Combustible Gas Cylinder?

Not having any problems going solo within PvE but wanted to know if I could do it better then what I'm doing now. Champions 2 levels lower then me will always wipe the floor with me but everything else is no problems. Maybe I'm overlooking something or doing something wrong or doing things out of order or just some different way that is much better then my way.

Any and all feedback, suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :D

Edited by Ziko

3 big things:

1. I didn't see Quell or Electric Dart on your ability list. Quell has a quick cooldown and interrupts the high dmg channeled abilities that champions can use. Electric dart is the same. Also be sure to remember mid to close range alternation. Jet Pack interrupts channeled abilities as well. Using these at the right time will greatly increase your survivability.

2. Champions are the next step above elite. Technically you aren't really supposed to be soloing them. Champions are very difficult to take on and I would recommend a non-companion healer when attempting to take one head-on.

3. As a PT BH you should focus on stacking Shield Rate and Absorb Rate. Your shield tech tree increases your shield chance and reduces the DMG that you take. I currently have 40% shield chance and 39% absorption with around 14k health at level 48. I take some DMG but not very much. Your defense just stacks with new pieces of gear. Use as much ENDURANCE gear as possible but do not go overboard, you still need some aim to deal DMG to increase THREAT. Trial and error and you will find a good balance with those stats. Good luck and if you have other questions i'll be back later to respond.

PS. Definitely use Ion Gas.......your shield tech enhances that.

Edited by Leppychaun