The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech dps role in flashpoints/operations?

Cyghon

Hello! Im new to MMOs, and this game.. Just played a tiny bit of WoW years ago when it came out.

Im currently lvl 26 specced dps (AP). Yesterday i did one of my first heorics 4 quests. People wanted me to tank even though i said i was specced dps. So i did, even though i had really no idea what i was doing we managed to complete the quest, after a few wipes. And me learning about cc, marks and stuff.. But now to my question:

From what i understand a powertech specced dps, is not a pure dps class like a mercenary right? But not a tank either. More of a hybrid, secondary dps/tank?

Are we of any use in flashpoints/heroics? Or is everything black and white when it comes to this, like all classes have to be pure dps, tank & healer to be of any use.

Edited by Cyghon

Hello! Im new to MMOs, and this game.. Just played a tiny bit of WoW years ago when it came out.

Im currently lvl 26 specced dps (AP). Yesterday i did one of my first heorics 4 quests. People wanted me to tank even though i said i was specced dps. So i did, even though i had really no idea what i was doing we managed to complete the quest, after a few wipes. And me learning about cc, marks and stuff.. But now to my question:

From what i understand a powertech specced dps, is not a pure dps class like a mercenary right? But not a tank either. More of a hybrid, secondary dps/tank?

Are we of any use in flashpoints/heroics? Or is everything black and white when it comes to this, like all classes have to be pure dps, tank & healer to be of any use.

The only pure DPS classes in swtor are Snipers and Marauders so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. BW has already said numerous times that the dps difference should only be a small % so if you wanna dps as a powertech you can spec into one of the 2 dps tree and dps. If you wanna be a tank you can spec into the tank tree and tank.

Damage-speced Powertechs and Juggs suffer from the same issues as DPS warriors in WoW. A lot of the time, people expect that you're a tank because you possess a taunt button. Just gotta remind them that you're they're to blow to stuff up.

You can effectively serve as an emergency offtank by taunting & using energy shield/kolto overload if the healer is about to get eaten by something. Just remember without Ion cylinder active, you're a lot squishier.

As far as your role in groups, the AP powertech does fantastic AE damage, respectable single target damage, and has an arsenal of interrupts. IMO, we really shine vs. high armor targets, since the bulk of our damage is elemental/internal and requires no debuffing to ramp up the dps.

You can effectively serve as an emergency offtank by taunting & using energy shield/kolto overload if the healer is about to get eaten by something. Just remember without Ion cylinder active, you're a lot squishier.

Yeah I run DPS Powertech and just today I ran some Hardcore Flashpoints. When needed I off tanked/kited and I always kept an eye on the action pulling adds on to myself and taking the heat if there was trouble with my taunt.

It felt quite awesome as despite my main role still being DPS I was able to effectively help out in other ways as well.

Edited by Triforcedragon