The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Need some help with PVP

Riahen

Hello, I really like the Trooper class concept, but in PVP I think I might need some pointers. My trooper is only 20, but at times even in BG's against enemies I find around my level, my damage feels weird.

Coming from a 50 sniper, vanguard really is a change of pace.

So, from any experienced vanguard PVPers, can you give me some pointers?

Ex

When does the class get exciting?

Ammo management tips?

What kind of rotation should I use?

What abilities should I avoid using?

Do you use a certain cell per tree 100% or is it situation?

Edited by Riahen

I never Pvp much until max level in MMOs

But at lvl50 sitting at V33 as a tank spec'ed Vanguard, the most exciting part of Pvp has to be either harpooning people off ledges on the Voidstar or trapping ball carriers into pits in Huttball (hey, we don't get a knockback anyway)

But I have even developed a reputation on my server as a solo tank that can fully defend and delay the enemy at either side objectives on Alderaan by myself

A tank with ranged capabilities? Use LoS and hammershot them when they try to cap. Stun and run. My god it is fun. Even if it's 4 guys (half the team) you can hold them for at least half a round and by then, your team should be so far ahead it's GG

As a shield spec vanguard i skip wz until the 30ish simple because we dont really come into our role before then. And if i had to lvl him up now again i would not get there until lvl 40+ or maybe even first at 50 because of the all in one bracket (far to many 50s with expertise gear now).

My suggestion to any new low lvl vanguard for pvp wz would be to go for assault spec and simple stay behind/close to healers or other dps and deal as must damages as you can. Mix it up with harpooning there healer and interupting his heals, and using ion cell and have guard on your healer for extra protection.

Going into close combat with a true pvp spec (tactic or shield) will tbh just get you **** againts any competent lvl 50 with expertise gear on, and make it less fun for you.

I had many fights where i was with a low lvl or the enemy was, and on boths part me or him would just focus down the low lvl for a "easy kill" and then return to the lvl 50. Thats sadly the ugly part of warzones right now.

For me, the class got exciting at level 10. I absolutely love Vanguard. I'm tank specced (34 Shield, 7 Tactics), and I can take a hell of a beating in PVP. Paired with a healer that I can slap Guard on, I become invincible. Storm and Harpoon are your best friends in PVP, and the AOE stun (the name of which I'm blanking on) comes in very handy. In terms of ammo management, I know most people look down on Energy Blast, but I love it; I basically don't have to think about ammo at all when using it.

Bottom line, you won't always have the top damage numbers as a Vanguard, but in terms of being a team player, you'll be invaluable. A decent Vanguard can really change the tide of a battle, I feel.

I'm a lvl 19 shield spec Vanguard now and have been trying PvP since around Lvl 15.

At this level get ready to die a lot. My best results come from either teaming up (or merely following) with 1 or 2 other players who can really inflict damage and place guard on one of them, then plug away with grenades and HS. Cryo grenade has saved my a** more than once as well. While some go for damage points and kills, i'm looking more toward defensive/guarding points.

I rarely if ever come out alive if I get caught 1 v 1 in Warzones or if I try to go on the offensive. There are some people who claim to be able to at our level, but against a LvL 50 Sith w/2 sabres i'm just not strong enough yet.

The best advice people on this board have given me so far is a) you are not a melee character, you're a defensive character, plan accordingly. and b) have fun, learn, don't get frustrated.

Even if I do die a lot in a Warzone the credits, commendations, and experience points gained make it totally worth it... have fun with it!

Edited by Cheeseblaster

I appreciate the help so far. Vanguards at 50 seem like alot of fun. On my sniper I am good at assassinating people (like a ball carrier) but I wouldn't mind being more objective oriented. Most vanguards I see are ungodly tanks and can take a good beating.

The advise has been sound and I will take it into consideration :0

I've PVP'ed constantly at every level since level 10. I'm currently level 41, valor level 41 (I've always maxed valor for that level, just to give you an idea). After reading most of the posts here, it seems that I play a slightly different role than some of the others in the forum. I'm currently specced 4/9/19 as far as abilities go. While I definitely see the role of tank/guard working out in PVP, I typically run by myself and play a solo/DPS type role. I've topped damage charts on about 85% of all the warzones that I've played in. Now, you can definitely bet that's mostly because the players on my server aren't very PVP oriented, and there is usually only a couple 50's running around (excepting the nights the premade's come out on Emp and Repub side). But I sincerely believe that a Vanguard can definitely put out respectable DPS, as I'm sure most of you know.

The class really got fun for me as soon as I got Harpoon, although I was putting up very decent DPS numbers before that. My philosophy for my Vanguard has always been to pull as many people away from the main fight, while judiciously using my taunts to lower DPS on others. With Harpoon, Cryo Grenade, and Incendiary Round, I can help prevent caps. In Huttball I'm usually the last line of defense, and I can keep a couple people from capping side turrets in Alderaan indefinitely with Incendiary. If I have a healer that heals me even semi-regularly, I can put out some very nice damage and make a pretty large dent in the opposing team. Harpooning into hazards has actually gotten me a reputation among the regular PVP'ers on my server. I take any opportunity to do that.

I can only imagine if you have a healer playing with you the amount of damage you would be able to do. Admittedly, without guard running your healer is a bit squishier, but the increase in DPS from Assault spec makes up for it, in my opinion.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with my progression and role, and intend to play that up until 50. Once I hit 50 I'll switch over to the tank role and see how that goes. That or I find a guild to run premades with.

As far as ammo management, my typical opener is Harpoon -> Ion Pulse -> HiB -> Stock Strike. Hopefully I get a free HiB from the Stock Strike, so I'll hit that again. After that it's keep Ion Pulse/Stock Strike on CD and use HiB as soon as it pops. If they are grouping up nicely I'll throw in a Sticky Grenade and Mortar Volley. This usually keeps my ammo pretty high up. I will admit that ammo management in Assault is very critical, and definitely something I still have to tinker with.

Edited by Sunchyne

Vanguard has always been an exciting class to me.

I think key thing to remember is that vanguard is a kiting class, but not kiting in the hunter sense. The strategy mostly revolve around kiting away and then diving back in when stockstrike is up etc. another words constantly slingshoting your opponents. It is at these moments of close encounters during the slingshots that your damage to enemy is greatest, and when you slingshot away is when you conserve ammo and recover, and only use DoT/HiB/low or no ammo consumption abilities.

Edited by aRtFuL