The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Old guy, but still fairly a noob at swtor

bunkys

Hey all, first off, the community i encountered in the game has been fantastic so far, so I just want to thank those people that have helped me in the game so far. My background in mmo's was a couple of months on SWG when it first came out, real life (read baby) put an end to that but I'm back in the swing of things.

My character is a jedi on Vrook Lamar, and after a 4 days or so I'm at 14 on Coruscant. I have hit a point where i have taken all the missions I can find and I cant beat the main mission at my skill level. My question is, should I just grind and go through the area killing things to try to get up to a 15 or 16, to move on? Do the heroic missions, give alot of xp, if so I could try to find groups to do those. I was never in a guild on SWG, and I am thinking of doing that here to find people that would be like minded. My question on guilds is what is the best way to find a guild that I would want, and also would not mind helping a noob out?

Really have enjoyed the game so far, just really dont want to grind to move on, and if I do have to grind, it would be nice to have some people to do it with.

Inigomantoya

Hey all, first off, the community i encountered in the game has been fantastic so far, so I just want to thank those people that have helped me in the game so far. My background in mmo's was a couple of months on SWG when it first came out, real life (read baby) put an end to that but I'm back in the swing of things.

My character is a jedi on Vrook Lamar, and after a 4 days or so I'm at 14 on Coruscant. I have hit a point where i have taken all the missions I can find and I cant beat the main mission at my skill level. My question is, should I just grind and go through the area killing things to try to get up to a 15 or 16, to move on? Do the heroic missions, give alot of xp, if so I could try to find groups to do those. I was never in a guild on SWG, and I am thinking of doing that here to find people that would be like minded. My question on guilds is what is the best way to find a guild that I would want, and also would not mind helping a noob out?

Really have enjoyed the game so far, just really dont want to grind to move on, and if I do have to grind, it would be nice to have some people to do it with.

Inigomantoya

Hi there. I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

I hope I don't offend you with these suggestions, I'm just providing info that I see people commonly needing in game.

1. Have you trained all your skills and used all your talent points? I see people forgetting to train and allocate talent points a lot, so that might help you if you haven't.

2. Are you properly using your abilities? Sometimes it takes a bit to get used to a new game and it's abilities. For instance, I see a lot of new Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors only hit strike and never use any of their other abilities. Doing so will make questing more difficult.

3. Send your companion in first. This tends to be helpful for a lot of people who find they die too quickly. Simply sending your companion in first (by default, target a mob, hit CTRL+1 and wait for your companion to go in) can improve your survival chances.

4. Are you engaging too many enemies at once? IF so, try to plan your route a bit better so to only take on what you can.

I do not think you need to go back and grind. If you've been doing the sidequests, it's likely you're even a bit overleveled at this point in time in relation to the main quests. And it doesn't solve the core issue, as your class quest only gets harder the further you go in the game, and it simply wouldn't be fair to yourself. You will never NEED to grind in this game if you do your quests and side quests. The game is not designed where grinding is necessary.

If you have any more info, I'd be glad to help, but those are some catch-all tips that tend to help people who are asking me for help in-game.

Edited by ebado

Hello, try to make friends in game and join there guild once you get to know thema part from that you will not know what the guild could potentially be like. As far as the level your stuck at goes you should not have to grind at any level in this game they do a good job of that. Maybe you missed a class quest or a quest chain or 2 in your main zone. there are zones called heroics 2 to 4 which means it recomends 2 to 4 players at early levels you can do this with your companions depending on which ones. as you level you will need other players to do these your class quest should take you onto new planets aswell so you shouldnt run out of quests.

there are some bugs that stop people from progressing through conversations but this is unlikely your problem but you never know. i would like to help you more i play on saber of exar kun if you happen to play on that then i can help you ingame if not then im sorry post here for further assistance.

Good Luck, Happy Questing!

Never offended, in fact I really appreciate the suggestions, I will let you know under each one what I have done.

Hi there. I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

I hope I don't offend you with these suggestions, I'm just providing info that I see people commonly needing in game.

1. Have you trained all your skills and used all your talent points? I see people forgetting to train and allocate talent points a lot, so that might help you if you haven't.

*LOL, I didnt up to level 6, it was a slap the forhead moment when I found out I had skills I could train for.

2. Are you properly using your abilities? Sometimes it takes a bit to get used to a new game and it's abilities. For instance, I see a lot of new Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors only hit strike and never use any of their other abilities. Doing so will make questing more difficult.

*You know that is something I have tried in different fights, but I'm still not sure if I am doing those right. In fact I know I dont know how to do the ranged jedi moves, besides the leap one correctly. I know one ranged requires focus and the only way I know how to do focus is the strike option, so I need to be in combat already before I can use it. So no, to answer your question I'm sure I am not using them in the best way possible. **I see other players throwing rocks and objects, and I have looked and tried and can not figure out how to do this**

* I also have a hard time targeting the next NPC after I defeat the one i'm fighting, I do this by right clicking on them but alot of times the screen gets turned around so it takes a couple of seconds or more to get the next one clicked, I'm sure there has to be a more efficient way to do this.

3. Send your companion in first. This tends to be helpful for a lot of people who find they die too quickly. Simply sending your companion in first (by default, target a mob, hit CTRL+1 and wait for your companion to go in) can improve your survival chances.

*I will give this a shot, normaly I just leap to start a fight and then do the move with the most damage and another that stuns the oponent.

4. Are you engaging too many enemies at once? IF so, try to plan your route a bit better so to only take on what you can.

Well in the class boss one that I am stuck at, its just one sith, and I am closer after moving up one level, but I am still short, maybe one or two levels.

I do not think you need to go back and grind. If you've been doing the sidequests, it's likely you're even a bit overleveled at this point in time in relation to the main quests. And it doesn't solve the core issue, as your class quest only gets harder the further you go in the game, and it simply wouldn't be fair to yourself. You will never NEED to grind in this game if you do your quests and side quests. The game is not designed where grinding is necessary.

If you have any more info, I'd be glad to help, but those are some catch-all tips that tend to help people who are asking me for help in-game.

Thanks again for your response.

Hello, try to make friends in game and join there guild once you get to know thema part from that you will not know what the guild could potentially be like. As far as the level your stuck at goes you should not have to grind at any level in this game they do a good job of that. Maybe you missed a class quest or a quest chain or 2 in your main zone. there are zones called heroics 2 to 4 which means it recomends 2 to 4 players at early levels you can do this with your companions depending on which ones. as you level you will need other players to do these your class quest should take you onto new planets aswell so you shouldnt run out of quests.

there are some bugs that stop people from progressing through conversations but this is unlikely your problem but you never know. i would like to help you more i play on saber of exar kun if you happen to play on that then i can help you ingame if not then im sorry post here for further assistance.

Good Luck, Happy Questing!

I do not think I missed a class quest, but what is a quest chain? Is there a way to find out if I missed one of there? I have gone back out and looked for the quest symbols at each location, and the only ones left, "I think", are the heroic ones. I will try to find some players to do those with, which brings up another question...

I have joined a group from an invite, how do you invite someone?

Thanks for the reply

Inigo

One thing I forgot to mention, did you train your advance class? You would have had a quest waiting for you on the Republic fleet and it would have asked you to choose between Guardian and Sentinel.

As far as using your abilities, the key to the Jedi Knight class is building your focus and then spending it. As you already know, strike builds your focus. Once you have three focus, you should use Slash (I believe it's called slash. By default, it's on No. 2 on your center quickslot bar) on single enemies and Force Sweep on multiple enemies.

At this level, what you should be doing is Force Leap, which builds 3 focus, and either using slash or force sweep depending on the situation. After that, you can hit strike twice, then use slash again. Rinse, repeat.

As far as seeing other Jedi throw rocks, those are Jedi Consulars, a separate class. As a Jedi Knight, you will be in melee range essentially the entire time.

As far as targeting though, most people hit tab to cycle through their enemies for targeting, as clicking is not ideal in all circumstances.

As for inviting people to a group, type /invite playername.

Ebado

Yea I have trained on the sentinal stuff, prob just not using it correctly. I prob just need to just practice different combinations. My normal style is close to what you described, leap attack then 12"slash"121212 4"he jumps and spins, then stuns the npc" then 8 "has the most damage at 340 or so" rinse and repeat. I will quit the 12121212 part. Really have learned alot, I will make sure to pay this forward in the game, when I actualy have something to offer someone else.

There's also an option in Preferences to auto target the closest enemy when you push an attack power button. I find in helpful when I'm in a heated close range fight.

Also, don't forget to hit tab to target the next enemy. I bind "shift+tab" to "closest enemy" for when there are lots of things on the screen and I've accidentally targeted something across the room.

Okay, I logged back in and changed the setting in pref to target closest. went into a fight, my companion was fighting someone away from me, I defeated my NPC, then hoping it would switch, pushed the leap command, and it said no one was targeted, tried the tab, and it still did not target my companions NPC. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong? It would be nice to be able to continue the fight without having to use my mouse. I initialy targeted my npc with the mouse, could this be causing the problem?

There's also an option in Preferences to auto target the closest enemy when you push an attack power button. I find in helpful when I'm in a heated close range fight.

Also, don't forget to hit tab to target the next enemy. I bind "shift+tab" to "closest enemy" for when there are lots of things on the screen and I've accidentally targeted something across the room.

Okay, I logged back in and changed the setting in pref to target closest. went into a fight, my companion was fighting someone away from me, I defeated my NPC, then hoping it would switch, pushed the leap command, and it said no one was targeted, tried the tab, and it still did not target my companions NPC. Any idea on what I'm doing wrong? It would be nice to be able to continue the fight without having to use my mouse. I initialy targeted my npc with the mouse, could this be causing the problem?

perhaps the enemy was off screen? i know that happens to me sometimes when my companion is fighting someone a ways off. i just turn my screen around so that the mob is in my vision, and that usually fixes things.

i also have the setting...i don't remember what it's called...deselect target when you click off it turned on. doing that helps when trying to select targets too.

welcome by the way. :D

Edited by happysister

Hello bunkys, welcome to the community!

As you can see here, New Player Help as a great community of people who enjoy helping out others. We have some wonderful resources you might enjoy. There is the New Player Guide and the Online Game Manual to get you started. In addition, we have several member created guides that might help out, too!

In addition, depending on what you're interested in and what class you're playing, be sure to check out threads that are stickied in various forums you're visiting here. These are great resources of information, often created by fellow community members.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Yvin
code paste fail

• 1 month later...