The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvP tank without Energy Blast or Gut?

DaoJones

I've been pondering my build all throughout leveling, and now that I've hit 50 I'm starting to rethink my basic 30/11/0 Shield Spec for PvP tanking. Here are some of the conclusions I've personally reached:

Energy Blast is crap. I'm sure some people like it, but I very rarely have ammo management issues, and the cast delay on this skill annoys me enough to skip it.

Gut is... meh. It's not terrible, but it really never seems to deliver much damage. The DoT is nice, and has its uses, but it's really not so strong a skill that I feel compelled to keep it. Ion Cell or Stockstrikes usually get me the HIB openings I need.

Harpoon has so many uses in PvP I wish it was up every GCD. Separating people from a pack, preventing a bomb in Voidstar (or pulling someone away while a teammate does the flip), Huttball ball carrier harassment... you just can't go wrong with Harpoon. (Unless someone has full resolve.)

8 seconds cooldown on Riot Strike is painful when trying to kill a healer. Even with Cryo Grenade, when you're harassing a healer you need every interrupt you can muster.

That being said, I'm thinking of a build that cuts both Gut and EB, and focuses on more Riot Strikes and Harpoony goodness. My question to you all is whether or not you think bypassing both Gut and EB will harm my damage output over the long term?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoGrboroTZMsbr.1

I'm also pondering a way to slip 2/2 Defensive Measures into this build. I know a lot of people seem to think it's not useful, but having an immobilize off Harpoon would be amazing in PvP, and having one off Stealth Scan would be great in world PvP when some punk stealther tries to duck away from you.

I also wish I could get 2/2 Heavy Stock into this build, but I don't want to lose 4% off my shield chance from Counterattack. (Which is the only way I can see to get it in.)

I feel the same way

We really do need a better 31 shield talent

Energy blast is slow shooting and ineffective to those that manage their resources well, especially when we alternate everything with HS.

I switched to the 30/11 myself 2 weeks ago and find it slightly better but the damage is lacking. Even DoTing the elite/boss then leaving to round of the rest of the pack as a PvE tank is ineffective at holding aggro

I feel the same way

We really do need a better 31 shield talent

Energy blast is slow shooting and ineffective to those that manage their resources well, especially when we alternate everything with HS.

I switched to the 30/11 myself 2 weeks ago and find it slightly better but the damage is lacking. Even DoTing the elite/boss then leaving to round of the rest of the pack as a PvE tank is ineffective at holding aggro

Shield tree is already far, FAR, superior to other trees, so no, we do NOT really need it. And yes, i Play with a 30 shield spec.