The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

GPU upgrade yielded no effects

Kontagious

I just upgraded my Radeon HD 4850 to a Radeon HD 6850, and I saw zero changes in fps. I still get around 20 fps on planets in the open like Tatooine. Indoors I still get around 40-50 fps . On the fleet and in warzones the game is still unplayable because of my fps. Why have I seen no change in my framerate? This is upsetting. :/ I've noticed quite a bit of improvement in other games I've tried, but none in SWTOR. Can anyone help me?

The engine that swtor is made on is caleld the hero engine and its 6 years old and Cpu intesive gpu upgarde will yeild little fps benefit u need cpu upgrades,

Try running in xp mode this helps a little

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

K and your advice was that much better mr 20fps, i get over 110 fps in pvp and in tattooine, want screenshots? oh and yes all max including shadows. clearly one of us is doing it wrong.

Ya, but you can't just say it isn't his video card.. You don't know that.. Hell he could have bad drivers not installed and may not have uninstalled them properly in the first place. There is no simple fix here.

Heres what I would check

-What's running the background (antivirus/spyware can cause really bad effect sometimes for no apparent reason) That's the easiest thing to check because you can always open task manager and shut down anything non-critical.

-uninstall any video card drivers through add/remove, and delete the folders (also very easy just a tad more time consuming depending on how fast your computer is)

-Make sure all motherboard drivers are up to date.

If that doesn't work you need to delve more into hardware issues.

-As long as your tempatures are fine oc the cpu up to 3ghz and if temps are still fine try the game. (people say you should run really long stress test i really don't. Run one about 5 minutes or until your temps are stable then try the game) If it works then you need to run a longer stress test to make sure everything is stable.

-Check ram. I would actually use a mem tester doing one ram at a time won't always cause issues. But putting them together sometimes can even if they came packed together so it's best to run some actual tests on them.

-It could be your psu if it's a cheap crap one you may not have ever been getting the juice you actually needed in the first place. (actaully had this problem when I first started to work on computers)

Also people seem to be forgetting lower res more your cpu is gonna do the work. That's why overclocking your cpu could really help.