The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bounty Hunter and Me

LORDNIRVANA

I've started playing the BH and have found a lot of love for the variety and utility of the Class. I am having a bit of a challenge deciding on an AC and spec I think I'll synergize with. I've read the forums and researched as much as I could on my own, but I'm still finding myself at a crossroads on where/how I should proceed with an AC and tree that fits to my play-style.

I like options: things that give me control (CC fan here) and strategy during my playtime. Buff/debuff, survivability and allows me to line up my targets and systematically tear them apart are fun for me. I'm less concerned about a "fast kill" and more concerned about surviving a fight, however long or short it is. PvE is my focus, so I'm hoping some of you more experienced BHs can help me reach a conclusion I'll be happy to try over my own indecisiveness.

Thanks in advance! :)

I personally haven't gotten very far on a BH, but what it breaks down to through my research is that Powertechs are close/medium in your face AoE with a respectable tanking ability, which is probably how you will spend your time in PvE, tanking, and Mercs have channeling and medium to long range with healing as a secondary tree, but you will spend your time healing likely.

If you're all about controls and utility, go with PT. They have great positioning tools and control along with the ability to soak up hits. Like the guy above said, Powertechs are more about close-mid range combat and if specced into Shield Tank offers a few ways to debuff enemy damage through the use of taunts and the talent combust.

TLDR: Pts pack a lot of team utility which seems to be what you're going for.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! (And apologies for the delayed response--real life happens, y'know?) ;)

I've been doing some research on the birdie build (I can't recall the proper name, ATM), which seems to be a PvP specific build. My follow up question is this: I don't consider myself much of a Tank, but love the survivability/defense in PvE. is there a way for me to properly build/level my PT with DPS/utility/CC? For more of a support/DPS/survive-capability in a PvE environment? I like the idea/concept of high-defense with a bag-of-tricks and some "pew-pew" ( I've dabbled in the Pyro tree and have found Love there, LOL!).

Can I reasonably dip into both trees for long term effectiveness and fun? or would I be gimping myself in the long run?

And if I can, how should I consider my leveling map to be effective with ST and Pyro?

Thanks again, in advance!