"Any game as big and as complex as The Old Republic will have bugs."

Napalmbrain

Roughly halfway through their operational time period, EVE released a patch which wiped out users' boot.ini. They literally nuked people's computers & rendered them unbootable. The idea that somehow post-beta no critical bugs should ever turn up, or indeed just not yet be fixed, is up there with the Cluster spacecraft achieving orbit.

Should we also mention Vanguard or was it EQ2 frying video cards?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Roughly halfway through their operational time period, EVE released a patch which wiped out users' boot.ini. They literally nuked people's computers & rendered them unbootable. The idea that somehow post-beta no critical bugs should ever turn up, or indeed just not yet be fixed, is up there with the Cluster spacecraft achieving orbit.

CCP did it, therefore Bioware can do it, AM I RIGHT GUYS?!?!?

Been programming professionally for 20+ years. Yes, any software has defects in it.

That said, I've spent most of my career programming medical software, primarily in diagnosis and radiology. If my code has obvious bugs, people can potentially die. As a result, my defect list on released software is EXTREMELY small. The defects we do find are generally in areas that aren't used, or through configuration options that are unlikely to be used together. I get maybe 2-3 a year on code that went live.

Game companies have gotten sloppy. It used to be when a game went gold, you were done. It wasn't getting fixed ever, because it was burnt to ROM or the disks were shipped and consumers didn't really have a network to download patches from.

Yes, games have become more complex, but they also have a lot more people working on them (for the good and bad of that).

What they're not given is the time it takes to produce a quality product. Blizzard at least understands this somewhat and as a result has a pretty decent reputation. Bioware is the opposite and has always released buggy code (Bethesda is another with the same rep).

I don't see their corporate culture changing, especially not with EA behind them egging them on to release crappy code.

If you expected SWTOR to be something other than extremely buggy, given it comes from Bioware and on top of that was pushed out months (or even a year) earlier than they wanted too; you need to reevaluate.

"Any game as big and as complex as The Old Republic will have bugs."

"Any gaming company as big and as complex as Bioware/EA that can throw $150million in to an MMO should have fixed many of the bugs during Beta" Typical EA, I guess.

It is apparent you've never made a big Enterprise Application, or a huge computer game. Just throwing money at software, won't fix any bug.

More like "Bioware is already an improvement over other MMO Devs", but keep hatin' bro.

http://7tattoo.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/25200_1214567684329_1232910695_30982333_6281898_n.jpg?w=349&h=400

If by "improve" you mean "stripe all the features from MMOs that have been evolved from the past decade" sure.

Please, Bioware can't even make a functioning PvP world. Right now Bioware is looking like a mom and pop corner store trying to take out wal-mart. The only reason people gave this game a glace is because it has "Star Wars" written on it. Without the Star Wars IP this game would have flown WELL under the radar and you know it

Yes. I was there at launch. You could get to level 60 and not encounter any real bugs or broken quests.

This is the second time I have to call you out.

Maybe you got lucky when WoW launched but considering the nature of the bugs I seriously doubt it. I was there and WoW was riddled with bugs at release. The same bugs I reported during beta testing ...and they were still there.

TL;DR - Stop lying. Anyone who played WoW at release knows damn well that the game was riddled with bugs.

then dont release it until its polished, like WOW

You got a brass pair on you, my friend. Reading the posts after yours just about knocked me out of my chair. It's was an easy target but holy crap son you hit it with a nuke!

Well done!

More like "Bioware is already an improvement over other MMO Devs", but keep hatin' bro.

http://7tattoo.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/25200_1214567684329_1232910695_30982333_6281898_n.jpg?w=349&h=400

Sorry but no. Did wow have bugs at release, sure, however wow worked round the clock to fix them, BW went on vacation. On their first week back they have still released mostly fluff for their fixes.

In addition the ratio of avoidable bugs to mission critical on release is still way in WOWs favor.

As a software developer I know software will ALWAYS have bugs, however BWs approach so far to fixing them is the thing I am most concerned with.

Sorry but no. Did wow have bugs at release, sure, however wow worked round the clock to fix them, BW went on vacation. On their first week back they have still released mostly fluff for their fixes.

In addition the ratio of avoidable bugs to mission critical on release is still way in WOWs favor.

As a software developer I know software will ALWAYS have bugs, however BWs approach so far to fixing them is the thing I am most concerned with.

Bioware deserve to have a break at Christmas and spend it with family. Sheesh, get a heart man.

Bioware deserve to have a break at Christmas and spend it with family. Sheesh, get a heart man.

Signed, people who are demanding fixes right away are just spoiled! Then again, BW doesn't need to work around the clock to fix massive bugs, since the bugs WoW had where on a whole different scale. A scale of making the game very unplayable, in SWTOR that is far from the case.

Sure they do, but I also deserve good CS.

They cant hold me accountable for their crappy release date, that is their problem.

If I pay for a game, I expect it to work, or the company to work to make it right, right away.

Sure they do, but I also deserve good CS.

They cant hold me accountable for their crappy release date, that is their problem.

If I pay for a game, I expect it to work, or the company to work to make it right, right away.

Giving your above "requirement", it does work.

Signed, people who are demanding fixes right away are just spoiled! Then again, BW doesn't need to work around the clock to fix massive bugs, since the bugs WoW had where on a whole different scale. A scale of making the game very unplayable, in SWTOR that is far from the case.

Sure, we are spoiled by good customer service. Wow was very playable at release.. First day I was down for a few hours, then off tot he races. I never had the issues most of the people here seem to be complaining about.

Here however I have seen all sorts of bugs that make the game very unplayable.

Giving your above "requirement", it does work.

You are going to have to be a little more detailed in what you mean by requirements...

They could have released the game in Nov, still in time for xmas, but able to fix bugs, as blizzard did. Again, if I am paying you, dont hold me accountable for your mistakes.

Sure, we are spoiled by good customer service. Wow was very playable at release.. First day I was down for a few hours, then off tot he races. I never had the issues most of the people here seem to be complaining about.

Here however I have seen all sorts of bugs that make the game very unplayable.

I think we've been playing two very different games.

I can load up wow right now, and find a 100 bugs.

But are they critcal bugs, such as being locked in a ship, not being able to talk to anyone in a part/guild or any of the others that make this game fairly unplayable.

You are going to have to be a little more detailed in what you mean by requirements...

They could have released the game in Nov, still in time for xmas, but able to fix bugs, as blizzard did. Again, if I am paying you, dont hold me accountable for your mistakes.

You just explained the point I was trying to make, congratulations.

Also the software business model works like this:

You buy software, you pay for a maintancen contract to fix problems in the software that you accepted buying. Its how the industry works.

Edited by Oxidda

I think we've been playing two very different games.

Doubt that.. More then likly you just dont want to admit the bugs.. I mean have you never tried to go into a ship for the first 2 weeks atleat, in a group? never had issues talking in group/party/ops, never heard of quest lines sticking, some forcing people to be stuck in instances?

Bioware has a long list of incredible buggy games. I don't see why anyone would expect anything less from them, especially on an MMO, which is going to have more problems than a single player game.

Oh i realy think the list isnt so long as other single players games.. Bioware games overall are quite ok when it comes to that departament.

I remmeber that KOTOR 2 isnt from Bioware btw. just saying.

Mass effect 2 buggy? coulndt find any probably the most stable bioware game i ever seen. DA2 ( crappy game sure but not due to bugs. MAss effect great game without serious bugs, allthough the gameplay was a lot cluncky and not easy to work arround. KOTOR, if have bugs i didnt find any. DAorigins, bugs only in the expantion. The game in itself was pretty stable... compared that to any oblivion or skyrim etc...

Look im not of bootlicking some company i like, but in this i give credit to BIoware overall they put on the market the games with less bugs in comparisson wih other games. IMO

SWTOR is no diferent, but due to its size and being an MMO yeah it has bugs. BUt more importantly ther are not a game breaker.