Sentinel and Defense Stat

SarimRune

Hello,

I'm a lvl 28 Sentinel - Watchman.

I am finding this class certainly harder to play than say my BH. Still, the storyline is the best so I'm sticking through it.

I had a thought. Sentinel is squishy. No surprise there. I was wondering about focusing on increasing the Defense rating. I've got Artifice and could aim to work on Defense Enhancements.

I have 4 Orange Gear and could possibly get +20 Defense Rating/item.

I'm not entirely sure what this would give me as an end result to my Defense. But regardless, the end result would be to find a way to push the Defense stat up as a means to avoid damage.

Is this a sound 'tactic' or should I not bother?

Thoughts?

I've considered it.

+def is sabre ward and transcendence, and arguably pairs with pacify -acc.. So clearly its a viable stat for us.

Mostly our def potential comes from actives with cooldowns. so building passive defense may not be a priority, while just dps tends to be.

that said, focus has +7% raw damage mite for a reason. And watchman the heals. both of these would pair with +def for compounded survival.

Edited by MBirkhofer

That sounds like heresy to me. Yeah, it might benefit your [incredibly] situational modifiers (+10% defense from Transcendence) but I think it's still incredibly silly to forgo stats like +crit/surge/power which affect you 100% of the time. You're a pure DPS class, gear yourself appropriately. The faster you burn them down, the less time they have to damage you.

dead Jedi deal 0 dps.

Pvp gear has a ton of stam, and expertise for a reason.

Def roll is a key pvp AND pve talent.

I as a sent have more mit then a dps Guardian. I actually make a better offtank.

+def may have its place. I certainly wouldn't mind it on pvp gear.

If your roll is pure dps, then sure you shouldn't be doing any tanking at all, and thus damage will likely be aoe and force/tech not direct hits that can be parry/deflected. So, no, no defense for that.

Rebuke procs when you are being hit by direct attacks. clearly, you are expected to take direct hits.

Edited by MBirkhofer

dead Jedi deal 0 dps.

Pvp gear has a ton of stam, and expertise for a reason.

Def roll is a key pvp AND pve talent.

I as a sent have more mit then a dps Guardian. I actually make a better offtank.

+def may have its place. I certainly wouldn't mind it on pvp gear.

If your roll is pure dps, then sure you shouldn't be doing any tanking at all, and thus damage will likely be aoe and force/tech not direct hits that can be parry/deflected. So, no, no defense for that.

Rebuke procs when you are being hit by direct attacks. clearly, you are expected to take direct hits.

Why the **** would you roll a Sentinel if you want to tank? LOL

Yes, I've already stated numerous times that Endurance is king in PvP. If you're stacking defense on a Sent, you're playing the class wrong. Sorry.

Why the **** would you roll a Sentinel if you want to tank? LOL

Yes, I've already stated numerous times that Endurance is king in PvP. If you're stacking defense on a Sent, you're playing the class wrong. Sorry.

This. I have albeit expensive 2 "suits" for situations. One with more endurance for PVP but NOT with defense. PVE wise Maybe being Watchman with the heals from burns offsets a lot of squishyness for I really would see myself dying more without it - but at 28 I had zero issue. Later on it gets tougher. PVE anyways. If you've been a BH then it may be tougher more so because you're used to that, I started as Sent first in beta and launch. Crit/Surge/Power and accuracy all > defense overall... Sent is weaker than other classes YES but NOT weak enough where you need to stack defense to survive esp at 28... check your gear, companion gear, spec first.

Best defense is a good offense. Well ideally lol. Really another key are relics I have defense ones and they help in a pinch with ward and rebuke.

Edited by ErisktheRed