Need help getting into RP =(

cslloyd

Hey!

I finally spent my xmas money to get the game, and boy what a game it is! It's simply incredible..

The story is so involving that for some strange reason I want to get into the RP servers and further enhance the story, with other people. The problem I have is that I've never been into RP on any other game, including wow.. I really need help with getting into it, which server and things like that, a newbs guide to RP maybe? how do i go about starting my adventure =D

As for servers I really have no clue about which one =( I like PVE and PVP with a larger focus on PVE.

Please help!

Chris

Not really. There's general chat but everyone uses it for OOC talking. You can create your own channels if you meet other people though, or join theirs. You'll still witness the game's premade story for your character, but you can always ignore it and just RP whatever you want.

There's some useful articles linked here for you:

http://ebon-hawk.com/index.cgi?board=guides&action=display&thread=75

I'd also suggest joining a "light" (not hardcore/heavy) RP guild - one that does a combination of activities, and doesn't expect its members to RP that much. That will ease you in better, and you won't feel the pressure to involve yourself in plots.

Casual/light RP is similar to small talk versus "serious" discussions... and can usually be found at most of your server's scheduled events. Many people are quite happy never getting much deeper than this - simple social setting RP. And it's how most of us start out, anyway.

RP would typically be done in say and emotes around you.

Even while you're leveling solo, you can do things like

/say *steps away from the speeder, looking around to get his bearings*

or

*to the NPC you just turned a quest in to*

/say "Let me know if you need any help with anything else - and if you find a few more credits"

and so on. Little things to help get yourself into character and signal to people around you that you're a role player and open to interaction.

On both sides the best place to run into someone else interested in staying for a while and interacting in RP is probably the cantina in the center of each fleet station. That also would normally be done in /say and /e.

One important thing is to try to keep your character separate from yourself, the player. Try not to talk too much about "game mechanics" in /say. Don't refer to class, level, "NPC" and that sort of thing. Think of your own character, and the others you meet, as "people" rather than "Trooper" and "Bounty Hunter" and so on. They're just people you meet and might want to introduce yourself and get to know.

Walking in a city or social area is also a good signal to others that you are open to role play. You can find or set the key to toggle walk (rather than jog) on and off in your key bindings under preferences-> controls -> movement.

Many RP servers have a custom RP channel you can join

type "/cjoin RP"

You can hop in there and introduce yourself and ask for tips or to meet people.

Edited by Sendra

Hello! Here are a few ideas to get started in RP. :)

First of all, think about who your character is (your background doesn't need to be super complicated, just have an idea of how you want to play your character, to act in a consistant manner: i.e. a happy go-lucky wanderer, a bloodthirsty Sith, a credits-hungry bounty hunter, etc.). There is a good post here that can help you get started:

Elements to consider when creating an RP character:

Occupation

Objective

Motive

Personality

Attitudes and behaviors

Tastes and preferences

Surroundings

History

Network

Appearance

Abilities and Alignment

Details here: http://www.whalliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26139

If you like RP, PVP and PVE, you might want to try an RP-PVP server, where you'll be able to do a bit of everything. I'm on Jung Ma (Empire side) and I am liking it. :)

As for leveling with someone as well as finding a beginner-friendly RP guild, a good way could be to post a message here:

"SERVER NAME - Empire - LF leveling partner/beginner-friendly RP guild"

Or something like that. Mention the server you are playing on and your faction, then a brief description of what you are looking for.

Also, when you are on your server of choice, you can post a brief message in the /general channel, now and then (don't spam it all the time, though) about "LF an RP guild" (if you looking for something specific, for instance, a Sith-focused guild, or a guild that does frequent flashpoints/PVE groups, be sure to mention that to whoever responds.

As for finding RP, there are various ways.

For instance, you can set your character to walk instead of run (hit the / key), and walk over to the cantina on the Imperial fleet (it is usually a good spot to find rpers), then if you see a group of people interacting in character in /say, you can introduce yourself (well, your character) as you would do in normal life, but as your character would (commenting on their characters' gear, or what they are doing at the time, etc.). You can use /e to write custom emotes describing what your character is doing.

Examples (somewhat cheesy, but just to give you an idea):

Setting: My Chiss bounty hunter comes across a group of people talking about an upcoming mission, as they are drinking at the cantina.

/e sips her drink, listening in on a nearby conversation a moment, before walking over to introduce herself, bowing her head slightly in a polite greeting

/say Good evening. I couldn't help but to overhear you discussing just now, and I would like to offer my services as a hired gun, should you need extra fire power. My name is...

Setting: My Chiss notices a fellow hunter's high end weapons.

/e 's eyes are drawn to the human's top of the line blasters. Hailing the barkeep, she orders two drinks and brings them over to the bounty hunter's table

/say Care for a drink? I hope you don't mind my curiosity, but I have to say, those blasters are impressive! Who is your dealer? I have never seen this model before, but it's easy to tell that those pack a lot of power!

Just remember a few things about RP:

- On RP servers, whatever is said in /say is usually considered in character.

- If you must say something OOC in /say, try to use (( )) for your text to show it is not in character.

- The general channel, as well as party and whispers are usually out of character, but if you want to whisper to RP, you can put your text in " " to indicate it is in character.

On an RP server, a good way to meet roleplayers, too, is to comment in character when someone helps you kill a mob (/e smiles at the woman, saying "Thank you for your assistance, I am in your debt. My name is ... a pleasure to meet you.") , or when you group up for a heroic zone or quest, etc. Or to do emotes when you are near people who RP.

Have to get back to work, but I hope this helped!

Edited by Olinore

Hello! Here are a few ideas to get started in RP. :)

Wow, I just want to say thank you for the help !

I made a background for my imperial agent, kriss, forced into a job that he doesn't want.

I'm on the Lord Calypho EU server if anyone would like to come along !

Edited by cslloyd

I made a background for my imperial agent, kriss, forced into a job that he doesn't want.

Well in my intitiative to get the RP community going i've made an RP Wiki site URL calyphorp.wikispot.org

i've written down some basic rules on character development there as far as RP matters and all trying to get it out to the general community on that server so go ahead check it out and register ^^

there's not much on it right now i must confess however if you have any questions feel free to send them to my Republic trooper named Amarant, and in case you made an imperial character send the mail to Vaun.

Or otherwise send me a pm on this forum with any questions you may have

Regards,

Amarantin

How I started was by making a background for my character, and let that form his personality. Say a child was orphaned and forced to steal for a living, they wouldn't have much of a sense of guilt. A child who grew up on Alderaan as a noble would have a higher sense of chivalry. This is not always true, a thief could be a gentleman and a noble could be a murderer. It all depends on events of their past and actions of their present.

My first character I RPed with in WoW was a thief who witnessed his father's death and didn't care if he killed someone. I wouldn't suggest using the "witnessed parent's death" though, as people will sometimes respond to that by thinking it's a sob story and go cry somewhere else.

My suggestion is to Open RP with a few different people and find the ones you enjoy RPing with and continue to RP with them. That's what I did.

You're very welcome, and sounds like your imperial agent is going to be interesting! I like that basis for an rp story. :) Have fun on Lord Calypho!