Commando Companions

llSavll

What's your spec? Are you a tank? A medic?

Commandos don't tank.

It is either dps or healing, which means OP should either pick Dorne or Forex I think for the best effect (or even Vik, I'm not sure how tanky Vik can be though)

I used till level 50 both Dorne and Forex but Forex is only good with good gear from cybertech and Dorne was easy to gear up with just swaping gear over to her I used previously when i acquired a new one for my character.

At level 50 I use Dorne, Jorgen and Forex but Dorne is best if youre going somewhere to PVP zone and if youre soloing some elite mobs , Jorgen is best for nuking fast stuff together with my commando and Forex is good for random fun and I feel that he is way better for leveling till level 50 as tank than now for questing at 50.

Edited by Lunablade

If you're a healer I would have to say Jorgan. M1-4X has good aggro control, but I found myself doing the majority of the damage along with trying to keep him up... it sucked. Ammo became a huge issue real fast. With Jorgan I keep him as nearly up to date as myself and his weapon is always using the newest barrel available. As a healer I find his dps invaluable and if I CC 1 elite and let the other 1-2 other mobs spread out between Jorgan it becomes much easier to keep us both up.

If you're DPS, Dorne is the way to go for certain. I personally like the Gunnery tree for DPS'ing and it gets a few nice tricks to help her keep you up better. :)

If you're a healer I would have to say Jorgan. M1-4X has good aggro control, but I found myself doing the majority of the damage along with trying to keep him up... it sucked. Ammo became a huge issue real fast. With Jorgan I keep him as nearly up to date as myself and his weapon is always using the newest barrel available. As a healer I find his dps invaluable and if I CC 1 elite and let the other 1-2 other mobs spread out between Jorgan it becomes much easier to keep us both up.

If you're DPS, Dorne is the way to go for certain. I personally like the Gunnery tree for DPS'ing and it gets a few nice tricks to help her keep you up better. :)

Agreed.

4X is too hard to keep geared and with skills that reduce knockback, it really doesn't matter if something is attacking you.

I'm Gunnery specced and I've used Elara exclusively since she joined Havoc. A little test with Forex convinced me that it's better that I tank and DPS, rather than he tanks and I heal.

If for some reason I wanted to kill easy stuff quickly I'd take Jorgen.

I rotate them regularly, keeping everyone as geared as possible, and there's no question that I'm most effective with Sgt. Dorne as my companion. 4X gets a lot of use as my guild's tanks are underlevelled and, with a good healer and moderate CC use on large pulls, he makes for a very effective group tank for Heroic areas. Haven't tanked a Flashpoint with him since Cademimu, but he did fine there too. For a soloing companion though, I find Dorne >>> 4X/Jorgen.

Yeah, I use the chick most of the time for healing she seems to be the best fit, I am Assualt spec.

I will also use Jorgen the odd time for the extra dps and if there are IMP's in the area so I can nuke em down.

I used M14x, for about 5 mins, and haven't touch him since. I can see where he would be usefull if you were a healer, keeping him up would alot easier, I just found I was wasting all my ammo keeping him up, and stuff wasn't dieing fast enough.

I'm Gunnery specced and I've used Elara exclusively since she joined Havoc. A little test with Forex convinced me that it's better that I tank and DPS, rather than he tanks and I heal.

+1.

Gunnery Commando.

I rotate them regularly, keeping everyone as geared as possible, and there's no question that I'm most effective with Sgt. Dorne as my companion. 4X gets a lot of use as my guild's tanks are underlevelled and, with a good healer and moderate CC use on large pulls, he makes for a very effective group tank for Heroic areas. Haven't tanked a Flashpoint with him since Cademimu, but he did fine there too. For a soloing companion though, I find Dorne >>> 4X/Jorgen.

As a Gunnery Dorne in the better option. As a heal spec myself, Jorgan blows Dorne out of the water. It's all a matter of playstyle really.

Guess I'm the odd commando out here.... (Gunnery spec fyi) From the get go I used Aric for massive dps. This meant that the fight was over in five seconds - one way or the other, feast or... well, fail. Just got a bit tied of him. Then along came Vic - man what a hoot... At least now the conversation was a bit funner. I've not looked back and used him up all the way to 50. Now the key is to get a bloody good weapon for him, which, being armstech, I could. He pulls aggro ALL DAY LONG and if a droid/imp/sith/critter does make it past him they are only 10% and two shots from dead with my cannon.... l love it when he pulls five or six, even seven ( I would run and get batches of mobs which he then taunted) I then turn, "Relic" up, and mortared them - game over.

Outside when you get to pop on and off a speeder there is NO heal time as I don't get touched.

I'm working on gearing the crew out and should have a purple staff for Yunn here shortly - will then take him out, but his voice gets on my nerves... so I don't figure he will last.

Anyway, Vic is fun and tanks very well.

I'm one of the few people that use 4x. I'm medic speced and also cybertech so it's pretty easy to keep him geared up and have him tank very well.

4x takes practice to use effectively because he will never engage an group of enemies. I often have to start a battle with stockstrike so that he's right in the middle of the battle in order to use his AEs effectively.

I just got Tano Vick. Yeah, Vick is better than 4x and I should switch... but I cant bring myself to do it. I've really grown fond of 4x! The dude absolutely loves everything about me and there are really very few wrong answers when it comes to gaining affection with him. Plus: he's f*ing hilarious!

"Applying overwhelming force!"

Tried out 4X right after I got him for the story mission, after that switched back to Dorne and have never looked back. She just makes the game easy mode. Managed to solo that Named Champion on Hoth with like 85k HP with her and she just makes downtime nonexistant. If you're gunnery spec you should be doing enough dmg that the loss of DPS from her doesn't matter so much (she still does enough dmg to take down normal adds no problem).

Now if I was a medic it would obviously be different. I'd prolly use Aric and basically reverse the above dynamic with somewhat less DPS but more healing, but I'd also experiment with the other companions too.

For DPS though Dorne all the way.

I levelled all the way to 50 as gunnery using Aric. I can just give him all my old gear when I upgrade, even my assault cannons, so his gear stays pretty decent. The two of us do a lot of damage and kill elites faster than they can kill me. Regular packs of mobs get decimated in short order. It's definitely faster than levelling with a tank or healer companion and you doing pretty much all of the DPS.